"Final" Text of Health Care Bill Arrives in Congress -- Some Provisions of Interest

  • Elchanan
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 21, 2010
      Hi everybody,

      Well, the final text of the health care bill has reached the U.S. House of
      Representatives. Congressman John Campbell, representing Newport Beach,
      California and the surrounding area, has summarized a few of this bill's
      financial provisions, I'm passing along his comments here. To my knowledge,
      every one of Congressman Campbell's comments is correct, without requirement
      for further editing.

      I wish to encourage people to really pause and reflect about what's going on
      here and to participate in the political process.

      Best to all,
      Elchanan
      _____

      Friday, March 19, 2010

      Quote of the Day: "So tonight, to you, the great silent majority of
      Americans, I ask for your support." - President Richard Nixon, November 3,
      1969

      However, this time, I think that the majority of Americans who in every poll
      oppose this health care travesty are not and will not be silent. The word is
      that Speaker Pelosi still has not persuaded enough Democrats to vote for the
      bill against their constituents and in many cases against their own beliefs.

      Tax Increases: The "final" bill came out yesterday afternoon. Here is a
      partial list of the tax increases included in this reprehensible and immoral
      bill:

      * A new 3.6% tax on all investment income including capital gains.
      That means that the capital gains tax rate (including California state tax)
      will rise to 33.9%. The tax on dividend income will rise from 15% today to
      53.7% including California tax.

      * Additional Medicare tax on self employment income and wages. This
      removes the current cap on wages subject to this tax and it will effectively
      move the top income tax rate from 35% to 43.4% within a couple of years. Add
      in the California tax again and would then be close to a 54% marginal tax
      rate. I believe that this is the highest of any major industrialized
      country. But because spending is so high we would still have $1 trillion
      dollar annual deficits even after this tax.

      * There is a 2.9% tax on all medical "devices", which basically means
      everything used in a doctor's office or hospital. Including gowns, syringes,
      and the like. This will increase health care costs for everyone who does
      not get free government insurance.

      * The deduction for Medical expenses is currently limited to those
      expenses that exceed 7.5% or your income. This will be raised to a threshold
      of 10% of your income. This means that fewer people will get any tax relief
      from medical expenses they pay for themselves.

      * There are various taxes on anything a person might do to pay for
      their own medical expenses. Things like Health Savings Accounts, Cafeteria
      Plans, and Flexible Savings Accounts are ways for people to save their OWN
      money for their OWN medical care on a pre-tax basis will be limited and
      taxed. This is all part of the way that President Obama gets to government
      run health care by making it illegal or costly to pay for your own care so
      you have to go to the government.

      * A 10% tax on tanning services. I call this the "Jersey Shore tax".
      This one has to be really upsetting to 'The Situation', Snookie, and Pauly
      D.

      * A tax on self-insured health plans. This is another penalty on those
      who try to pay for their own health care.

      * A new tax on pharmaceutical manufacturers. This will raise the price
      of drugs for everyone who does not get them from the government for free.

      * A new tax on "Cadillac" health plans. This is an up to 55% tax on
      any health insurance that costs over about $800 per month including employee
      and employer contributions. This tax does not apply if you are a union
      member or your plan is from AARP or Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
      These are major Democratic constituencies and they exempted them. For
      everyone else, this discourages comprehensive health coverage. Isn't that
      what the President says he is trying to achieve? Like most of what the
      President says, his actions are not even close to his words.

      * There is a new tax on all 'for-profit' health insurance companies
      (except for a few favored ones). This will also raise the costs of premiums
      for everyone not getting free care from the government.

      * If you don't buy health insurance (as dictated acceptable by a new
      federal czar), you will be fined up to 2.5% of your income even if you pay
      all of your medical expenses yourself. If your company does not provide said
      health insurance to all employees, the company will be fined up to $2,000
      per employee.

      All of this will cause growth and jobs to decline, medical costs to go up,
      deficits and debt to increase, and quality doctors and providers to leave
      the business. It will cause fewer people to pay for their own care, and more
      to seek government care. And that is exactly what the authors want.

      In spite of all of these taxes, this bill will create deficits of at least
      half a trillion dollars MORE than what we already have at the federal and
      state levels over the next 10 years, and a great deal more after that. So,
      lots more taxes, lots more spending, and lots more deficits. The time at
      which the Treasury will not be able to sell debt any more, except at a huge
      rate, is approaching fast. America, in my opinion with this bill, is much
      more likely to collapse under the weight of our own fiscal excess than to be
      seriously threatened by any external force.

      Until tomorrow, I remain respectfully,

      Congressman John Campbell
      Member of Congress

      Newport Beach Office - 610 Newport Center Drive, Suite 330 . Newport Beach,
      CA 92660 . (p) 949-756-2244 . (f) 949-251-9309
      Washington Office - 1507 Longworth House Office Building . Washington, DC
      20515 . (p) 202-225-5611 . (f) 202-225-9177

      If you wish to contact Congressman John Campbell, please
      <https://forms.house.gov/campbell/webforms/issue_subscribe.htm> follow this
      link.

    • rahtymz
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 21, 2010
        this is another sadder day in amerika
        we knew it was gonna get worse
        and its still going to get alot worse of course

        the way i see it -
        this is the problem:

        *** amerikans don't respect each other ***

        amerikans don't respect each other
        no one respects my privacy
        people no longer think it is even rude to...
        monitor my tv, phone, internet and any personal communication
        my privacy is no longer my right
        i demand the respect of a human
        i demand my privacy
        but i am just pissing into the wind (american idiom)
        i am alone

        the government can do whatever they want
        as long as people do not respect each other
        there is no recourse

        they crippled the health system by outlawing competition.
        by making layers between the doctor and patient with
        insurance companies, employers, etal
        *** there is no accountability ***
        the patient is not the one paying
        the prices go up, the service goes down

        most of the people being treated for thyroid conditions, diabetes, and more, would be better off without ama doctors at all.

        even if you would rather die than be treated by one of these murderous criminals, you have to pay for it anyway, or ugoto jail.

        its absurdly stupid because in this economic crash,
        the added expenses to amerikan business will make us all
        totally uncompetitive in the world
        as if we didn't have enough problems yesterday

        i want out
        i am alone in amerika
        i want to die anywhere else
        i hate amerika
        a country filled with sick stupid people who vote to live like slaves.
        they win
        i don't respect them either

        i hope there is no other life in the universe
        i would be too embarrassed

        jrellis
      • nepal
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 22, 2010
          On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 04:53:39 -0000
          "rahtymz" <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > this is another sadder day in amerika
          > we knew it was gonna get worse
          > and its still going to get alot worse of course
          >
          > the way i see it -
          > this is the problem:
          >
          > *** amerikans don't respect each other ***
          >
          > amerikans don't respect each other
          > no one respects my privacy
          > people no longer think it is even rude to...
          > monitor my tv, phone, internet and any personal communication
          > my privacy is no longer my right
          > i demand the respect of a human
          > i demand my privacy
          > but i am just pissing into the wind (american idiom)
          > i am alone
          >
          > the government can do whatever they want
          > as long as people do not respect each other
          > there is no recourse
          >
          > they crippled the health system by outlawing competition.
          > by making layers between the doctor and patient with
          > insurance companies, employers, etal
          > *** there is no accountability ***
          > the patient is not the one paying
          > the prices go up, the service goes down
          >
          > most of the people being treated for thyroid conditions, diabetes,
          > and more, would be better off without ama doctors at all.
          > even if you would rather die than be treated by one of these
          > murderous criminals, you have to pay for it anyway, or ugoto jail.
          >
          > its absurdly stupid because in this economic crash,
          > the added expenses to amerikan business will make us all
          > totally uncompetitive in the world
          > as if we didn't have enough problems yesterday
          >
          > i want out
          > i am alone in amerika
          > i want to die anywhere else
          > i hate amerika
          > a country filled with sick stupid people who vote to live like slaves.
          > they win
          > i don't respect them either
          >
          > i hope there is no other life in the universe
          > i would be too embarrassed
          >
          > jrellis

          Dear jrellis,

          you like myself are one of the ordinary people of the world.

          ***We Lost***

          We never even actually had a chance of winning. It was always rigged
          against us.

          Now just sit back and watch what happens to a society that has advanced
          acidosis and I mean the society not the individuals.

          All energy turns toxic and works to devour the host.

          The sick stupid people you mention are ill, stupified by the society
          that conditions them as members and it mostly all happens in unblissful
          ignorance.

          It reminds of the prophetic tale of the lemmings over the cliff. It is
          like lemmings we go...

          nepal