super Slow Sprouts slip (3xfast)

  • rahtymz
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2009
      here's a tip for sprouting nuts this winter. i first experienced this technique by accident. i was camping near a small desert stream, and noticed that my indian nuts had fallen by the water for few days. i opened them to discover that they had started sprouting in the shell. they were so good, that now i continue to do it that way. i usually have a batch of pecans in the shell soaking at my winter home. i would describe it in poetic detail, but it's worth making the discovers on your own. all i'll say now is: they continue to get better for weeks and don't keep them too cold or they won't sprout.

      (btw, i dug a deep hole [with my toilet] near the weak stream and diverted enough water for a great bath in the hot sun)

      incidentally, rumor has it, that squirrels bury their nuts. they don't remember exactly where, but when the nuts start sprouting, they can smell them - and then dig up the newfood. they don't find all of them, therefore leaving some to grow into trees. if you find any squirrels, they love sprouted nuts. but be careful feeding them, they have very sharp claws.

      i would have posted this earlier in the season; but i think you've been punished long enough.

      also, i love the absence of replies on this list. keep up the good work. i find the experience... Exquisite, absolutelyjr
    • Tiffany
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2009
        Thanks for the raw nut sprouting tip!  Only problem is that I live in a city and all the raw nuts for sale even in the farmer's markets have already been shelled :(  I guess now I'll have to order online somewhere.
        Tiffany Lohr