OT: HSUS whose goal is to shut down all animal ag maybe committing fraud

  • The Chicago Dog Whisperer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2009
      hello,

      it has come to my attention that HSUS and Wayne Pacelle may have committed fraud with our donations. Please take time to read this post and if you feel right about it, act and repost.

      Ami Moore Chicago IL

      PLEASE CROSS-POST

      The nonprofit Center for Consumer Freedom has learned that the office of
      Louisiana Attorney General James "Buddy" Caldwell is considering
      whether to re-open an investigation into the Humane Society of the
      United States (HSUS).

      The investigation concerns whether HSUS improperly
      spent some of the $34 million it raised for the benefit of pets
      displaced by Hurricane Katrina.

      Apparently, Caldwell's office received a deluge of phone calls
      beginning last week on the day after Atlanta ABC affiliate WSB-TV aired
      an exposé of HSUS's fundraising activities. In that report, WSB
      called HSUS "an organization actively misleading donors to get
      money." The TV station also explored just how little of HSUS's
      "Katrina" fundraising appears to have been spent on genuine
      Katrina-related disaster relief.

      This was a fabulous piece of journalism on a subject many news outlets
      have been too intimidated or biased to cover. (WSB-TV is working on a
      follow-up story, but we'll all just have to wait patiently for
      that.)

      An anonymous animal lover has made the video of the May 14 report
      available at http://is.gd/BQGu http://is.gd/BQGu> -- Note that
      there's no way to know if HSUS will be successful at continually
      censoring this video. (At least one previous version was pulled from
      YouTube this week after being viewed more than 50,000 times.)

      Here's what you can do to help:

      (1) CALL the Consumer Protection Section
      http://ag.state.la.us/Article.aspx?articleID=28&catID=12&printer=1#Cons\
      umerProtectionSection> of the Louisiana Attorney General's Office
      during regular business hours. The toll-free number is 800-351-4889. If
      you live in Louisiana, please call the local number at 225-326-6465, or
      the general office number at 225-326-6200.

      Tell whoever answers that you would like the Attorney General to re-open
      his investigation of the Humane Society of the United States. Remind
      him/her that there's no official accounting of how HSUS spent most
      of the $34 million it raised after Hurricane Katrina.

      Before you hang up, ask to be transferred to Assistant Attorney General
      Mimi Hunley. If you get through to Ms. Hunley, please be polite and make
      the same request of her or her staff.

      (2) Please follow-up with a polite e-mail to ConsumerInfo@...
      consumerinfo@...> , and let the A.G.'s office
      read your request in your own words. Drop me an e-mail at
      Martosko@... Martosko@...> and
      let me know how everything went. (Or just "BCC" me on your follow-up
      e-mail)

      (3) Share the video of WSB-TV's exposé with your friends,
      colleagues, family, and neighbors. It remains available (for now) at
      http://tinyurl.com/HSUS-YouSend -- If this video should
      disappear, feel free to e-mail me and ask if another version has popped
      up anywhere.

      (4) If you are able, please consider making a donation to the Center for
      Consumer Freedom so we can keep up the pressure on the Humane Society of
      the United States. We've got some exciting plans for the months
      ahead, but we need additional resources to make it all work.

      Donations can be made at http://www.consumerfreedom.com/donations.cfm
      http://www.consumerfreedom.com/donations.cfm> and they are
      tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. The Center for Consumer
      Freedom is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.

      Thanks for all you do to provide for animals. Remember: You are the real
      animal advocates. And we're on your side.

      David Martosko
      Director of Research