Rejuvenation with Raw Foods and Enzymes

  • Anne Kaspar
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 12, 2007
      Rejuvenation with Raw Foods and Enzymes

      Enzymes are protein molecules found in all living cells. Enzymes are
      the spark of life that catalyze and regulate all bodily biochemical
      reactions. Approximately 2,700 different enzymes in the human body
      can combine with co-enzymes to form approximately 100,000 biochemical
      substances that enable us to see, hear, feel, move, think, reproduce
      and digest our food. Raw foods provide the most natural source of
      one of the most important elements of our well-being – enzymes. All
      raw foods - vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, meat and dairy - provide
      in the very food itself, specific enzymes for the body to fully
      digest it.

      Dr. Max Wolf of Columbia University who researched enzymes and
      hormones from the 1930's through the 1960's, concluded enzyme
      production in humans diminishes after age 27. The vital force
      provided by an abundance of enzymes in a young person ensures
      recovery quick from illness and injuries and provides flexibility,
      agility and energy to accomplish great feats. As we age, depending
      on our lifestyle, diet and inherent enzyme potential, digestive
      difficulties may develop, the immune system must work harder,
      degenerative diseases may appear, and strength, flexibility,
      endurance and mental acuity decrease.

      There are three types of enzymes: digestive enzymes, metabolic or
      systemic enzymes produced by the body, and food enzymes which must be
      obtained from the live foods that we eat. Digestive enzymes are
      secreted by the digestive system to break down food into nutrients
      that can be absorbed into the bloodstream. They are also used to
      eliminate waste. The human digestive system secretes the proteolytic
      protein-digesting enzymes protease, trypsin and pepsin, fat-digesting
      enzymes lipase and cholesterol esterase, and enzymes that break down
      carbohydrates, including amylase, sucrase, maltase, lactase, and
      ptyalin. Humans don't produce cellulase, an enzyme necessary for
      digestion of fiber that is present in raw plant foods. But micro-
      flora in the intestines can manufacture cellulase if enough of these
      beneficial bacteria have been established by eating fermented foods.
      Fermentation is a natural way to preserve food and substantially
      enhances the enzyme content of the food. This is why most raw
      foodists eat plentiful quantities of fermented sauerkraut and other
      plant based fermented foods.

      Nature did not design us to make all of the enzymes necessary for
      digestion, but intended us to ingest most of our enzymes from live,
      raw foods. For thousands of years our ancestors ate mostly raw and
      fermented meats, dairy and plant foods and had few if any of the
      health problems we have today. Even today, the native Eskimos who
      still eat this "primitive origin" diet are recognized as some of the
      healthiest people on Earth.

      Heating food above 105 degrees F destroys the vital enzymes in food,
      forcing us to rely on our own enzyme reserves to complete the job of
      digestion. This dietary situation presents a real problem for modern
      man, since cooked food dominates our eating. Plant enzymes are most
      abundant in vine-ripened fruits and vegetables that are just picked.
      In a matter of days after picking, natural enzyme levels typically
      drop by 50%. Considering that most produce travels an average of
      1,200 miles to get to our table and is often picked unripe to survive
      the trip, enzyme levels throughout even our organic food supply are
      deficient.

      Systemic enzymes work throughout the body in every system and organ.
      Delivering nutrients to the cells and tissues for nourishment and
      regeneration, they initiate and speed up chemical reactions within
      the cells for energy production and detoxification. Systemic enzymes
      provide the necessary energy we use to rebuild muscles, cells,
      nerves, tissues, bones and glands. These enzymes also are
      instrumental in balancing our hormones, regulating our immune system
      and producing the neurotransmitters that modulate our emotions and
      enhance mental clarity. Systemic enzymes reduce inflammation,
      activate healing and relieve pain. Enzymes clear our blood of
      undigested food particles and pathogens. And they also dissolve
      excess arterial plaque, strengthen blood vessels and prevent blood
      clots. These very same enzymes dissolve scar tissue, adhesions,
      tumors and cysts. Finally they regulate metabolism to maintain
      optimum weight, and they rejuvenate aging muscles, joints and skin.
      That's a lot of work to do everyday!!!!

      Systemic enzymes are produced by every living cell. However, the
      liver, pancreas, gall bladder and other organs play a vital role in
      their production. Some of the enzymes used for digestion also
      perform other important functions in the body. When we are deficient
      in any of these enzymes due to depleted reserves and insufficient
      dietary intake of raw foods, there are not enough enzymes available
      in the body for other functions. Health problems ensue. More than
      likely, there will not even be enough enzymes available to completely
      digest our everyday food. By eating raw foods and/or taking
      digestive enzyme supplements with our meals and systemic enzymes
      between meals, many health conditions can be reversed and healed.

      Enzymes and Raw Foods
      All raw food enzymes are destroyed by heat. Most raw food, like our
      body, is quite perishable. When raw foods are exposed to temperatures
      above 105 degrees F, they rapidly break down, just as our bodies
      would if we had a fever that high. Enzymes, sensitive and yet
      powerful, help us digest our food, are proteins that break down as
      easily. A three dimensional protein structure, enzymes, once they
      are heated much above 105 degrees F, structurally, molecularly
      change.

      Once raw food enzymes are exposed to heat, they are no longer able to
      provide the function for which they were designed. Non raw foods
      contribute to chronic illness, because their enzyme content is
      damaged. This damage requires the body to create enzymes to process
      the food. The digestion of cooked food uses valuable metabolic
      enzymes in order to help digest your food. Digestion of cooked food
      demands much more energy than the digestion of raw food. In general,
      raw food is so much more easily digested that it passes through the
      digestive tract in 1/2 to 1/3 of the time it takes for cooked food.
      Eating dead foods places a burden on the pancreas and other organs,
      overworking them. Eventually these organs become exhausted and
      disease progresses. Many people gradually impair their pancreas and
      progressively lose the ability to digest their food after a lifetime
      of ingesting processed foods.

      In 1930, under the direction of Dr. Paul Kouchakoff, research was
      conducted at the Institute of Clinical Chemistry in Lausanne,
      Switzerland. The effect of food (cooked and processed versus raw and
      natural) on the immune system was tested and documented.
      Dr. Kouchakoff's discovery concerned the leukocytes, or white blood
      cells. It was found that after a person eats cooked food, his/her
      blood responds immediately by increasing the number of white blood
      cells. This is a well-known phenomena called 'digestive
      leukocytosis', in which there is a rise in the number of leukocytes -
      white blood cells - after eating.

      Since digestive leukocytosis was always observed after a meal, it was
      considered to be a normal physiological response to eating. No one
      knew why the number of white cells rises after eating, since this
      appeared to be a stress response, as if the body was somehow reacting
      to something harmful such as infection, exposure to toxic chemicals
      or trauma. However, the Swiss researchers at the Institute of
      Clinical Chemistry made another remarkable discovery. They found that
      eating raw, unaltered food did not cause a reaction in the blood. In
      addition, they found that if a food had been heated beyond a certain
      temperature (unique to each food), or if the food was processed
      (refined, chemicals added, etc.); this always caused a rise in the
      number of white cells in the blood.

      Kouchakoff's researchers renamed this reaction 'pathological
      leukocytosis', since the body was reacting to highly altered food.
      They tested many different types of food. Time and again Kouchakoff
      and his researchers found that if the foods were not refined or
      overheated, they caused no reaction. The body saw them as 'friendly
      foods'. However, these same foods, if heated at too high a
      temperature, caused a negative reaction in the blood, a reaction
      found only when the body is invaded by a dangerous pathogen or
      trauma.

      Kouchakoff's researchers found the worst offenders of all, whether
      heated or not, were processed foods which had been refined (such as
      white flour and white rice), or pasteurized (a process in which milk
      is flash-heated to high temperatures to kill bacteria), or
      homogenized (also seen in milk where the fat in milk is subjected to
      artificial suspension), or preserved (chemicals are added to food to
      delay spoilage or to enhance texture or taste).

      To ensure continued good health, raw foods gift the human body
      nutrients and enzymes it requires. For illnesses raw foods provide
      the human body the necessary nutrients and enzymes it requires for
      healing. All raw foodists agree: when it comes to radiant health,
      de-aging and overall well-being, raw is the law! If you must cook
      your food, the best way to cook food is to lightly steam, stew, or
      use a slow crock cooker. Eat as few over-processed and over-cooked
      foods as possible. The body has a difficult time digesting fried,
      pasteurized, barbecued, dried, and other over-processed and over-
      cooked foods which you find in boxed and processed foods. Consume at
      least 50% of your food raw, living and enzyme rich. A good vegetable
      juicing program will easily help you reach the volume necessary to
      achieve the 50% raw foods percentage.

      For more information on how to begin your enzyme-rich, living foods
      life, please contact BodyByBliss ™ for your free consultation @
      www.bodybybliss.com or Anne @ bodybybliss@....
    • Laurie
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 13, 2007
        Anne Kaspar wrote:

        > Rejuvenation with Raw Foods and Enzymes
        > Raw foods provide the most natural source of
        one of the most important elements of our well-being – enzymes.
        There is absolutely NO evidence that suggests that plant enzymes participate in human biochemistry. Plant enzymes mediate plant biochemistry, and internally-produced enzymes mediate animal biochemistry.
        http://ecologos.org/lenzyme.htm

        Laurie

        --
        Scientifically-credible info on human diet:
        http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html
      • School Of Rawk
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 13, 2007
          Is Ecologos your own site? Are you here just to promote that?
          Sigh. We have enough of that here.
          Erica

          Laurie <yahoo@...> wrote:
          Anne Kaspar wrote:

          > Rejuvenation with Raw Foods and Enzymes
          > Raw foods provide the most natural source of
          one of the most important elements of our well-being – enzymes.
          There is absolutely NO evidence that suggests that plant enzymes participate in human biochemistry. Plant enzymes mediate plant biochemistry, and internally-produced enzymes mediate animal biochemistry.
          http://ecologos.org/lenzyme.htm

          Laurie

          --
          Scientifically-credible info on human diet:
          http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html

        • Elchanan
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 13, 2007
            Unfortunately, both of these directions for conversation are incorrect.

            Annie, enzymes are not magic, they are not "life force" or anything of the
            kind. They are proteins doing what they are designed to do ... in this case,
            rip molecules apart.

            Laurie, enzymes absolutely play a role, and there is a veritable mountain of
            research on this going back decades, generations in fact. However, what that
            role is remains open to some discussion, because such research is not
            exactly very well funded.

            I believe you may be confused between the role that STRUCTURED enzymes ...
            those that are integral within, say, the structure of a cell membrane, play
            vs. the role that UNSTRUCTURE enzymes play. We need only look as far as the
            laundry detergent industry to learn about the latter!

            Best,
            Elchanan

            > Raw foods provide the most natural source of
            one of the most important elements of our well-being - enzymes.
            There is absolutely NO evidence that suggests that plant enzymes
            participate in human biochemistry. Plant enzymes mediate plant
            biochemistry, and internally-produced enzymes mediate animal biochemistry.
            http://ecologos.org/lenzyme.htm

            Laurie

            --
            Scientifically-credible info on human diet:
            http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html

          • Laurie
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 13, 2007
              Elchanan wrote:

              > They are proteins doing what they are designed to do ... in this
              case, rip molecules apart.
              You can not provide any support for the claim that plant enzymes
              mediate human digestion.

              > ..., because such research is not exactly very well funded.
              You have data on the FUNDING of research; you are just making this up.

              > "UNSTRUCTURE enzymes", Let's make believe you meant "unstructured
              enzymes"; why are there NO Google or Wiki hits for this term that you
              imply commonly exists?

              > We need only look as far as the
              laundry detergent industry to learn about the latter!
              Irrelevant to any discussion of human digestion.

              Oh, if you are going to USE scientific terminology, you have to
              frame your arguments within the consensus structure of contemporary
              science; that is, it is intellectually dishonest to use scientific terms
              in your own private way in direct opposition of consensus scientific
              reality.

              Laurie

              --
              Scientifically-credible info on human diet:
              http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html <http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html>

              .,___ <!-- #ygrp-mkp{ border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial;
              margin: 14px 0px; padding: 0px 14px; } #ygrp-mkp hr{ border: 1px solid
              #d8d8d8; } #ygrp-mkp #hd{ color: #628c2a; font-size: 85%; font-weight:
              bold; line-height: 122%; margin: 10px 0px; } #ygrp-mkp #ads{
              margin-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mkp .ad{ padding: 0 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
              color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none; } --> <!-- #ygrp-sponsor
              #ygrp-lc{ font-family: Arial; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{ margin: 10px
              0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 78%; line-height: 122%; }
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{ margin-bottom: 10px; padding: 0 0; } -->
              <!-- #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px; font-family:
              arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;*font-size:small;*font:x-small;}
              #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg select,
              input, textarea {font:99% arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg
              pre, code {font:115% monospace;*font-size:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg *
              {line-height:1.22em;} #ygrp-text{ font-family: Georgia; } #ygrp-text p{
              margin: 0 0 1em 0; } #ygrp-tpmsgs{ font-family: Arial; clear: both; }
              #ygrp-vitnav{ padding-top: 10px; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 77%;
              margin: 0; } #ygrp-vitnav a{ padding: 0 1px; } #ygrp-actbar{ clear:
              both; margin: 25px 0; white-space:nowrap; color: #666; text-align:
              right; } #ygrp-actbar .left{ float: left; white-space:nowrap; }
              .bld{font-weight:bold;} #ygrp-grft{ font-family: Verdana; font-size:
              77%; padding: 15px 0; } #ygrp-ft{ font-family: verdana; font-size: 77%;
              border-top: 1px solid #666; padding: 5px 0; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              padding-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-vital{ background-color: #e0ecee;
              margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 2px 0 8px 8px; } #ygrp-vital #vithd{
              font-size: 77%; font-family: Verdana; font-weight: bold; color: #333;
              text-transform: uppercase; } #ygrp-vital ul{ padding: 0; margin: 2px 0;
              } #ygrp-vital ul li{ list-style-type: n clear: both; border: 1px solid
              #e0ecee; } #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{ font-weight: bold; color: #ff7900;
              float: right; width: 2em; text-align:right; padding-right: .5em; }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{ font-weight: bold; } #ygrp-vital a{
              text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-vital a:hover{ text-decoration:
              underline; } #ygrp-sponsor #hd{ color: #999; font-size: 77%; }
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{ padding: 6px 13px; background-color: #e0ecee;
              margin-bottom: 20px; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{ padding: 0 0 0 8px; margin:
              0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{ list-style-type: square; padding: 6px 0;
              font-size: 77%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{ text-decoration: none;
              font-size: 130%; } #ygrp-sponsor #nc{ background-color: #eee;
              margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 0 8px; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad{ padding: 8px
              0; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{ font-family: Arial; font-weight: bold;
              color: #628c2a; font-size: 100%; line-height: 122%; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad
              a{ text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{ text-decoration:
              underline; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{ margin: 0; } o{font-size: 0; }
              .MsoNormal{ margin: 0 0 0 0; } #ygrp-text tt{ font-size: 120%; }
              blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;} .replbq{margin:4} -->
            • Jen
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 14, 2007
                Not that I want to get into this little battle you've taken on,
                Laurie, but I just couldn't believe my eyes when you said:

                > Elchanan wrote:
                >
                > > They are proteins doing what they are designed to do ... in this
                > case, rip molecules apart.
                > You can not provide any support for the claim that plant enzymes
                > mediate human digestion.

                There's this:
                "One of the most important aspects of live foods, ignored by Dr. Weil,
                is that food enzymes pre-digest the food in the food-enzyme part of
                the stomach, and therefore have a beneficial affect to our health
                without even having to pass through the gastrointestinal wall.
                Research by Dr. Beazell, a noted researcher in the field, published in
                the American Journal of Physiology, shows that 60% of the complex
                carbohydrates, 30% of the protein, and 10% of the fats are digested in
                the food-enzyme stomach by the enzymes contained in raw food. By
                eating food which is not cooked, we preserve our own digestive enzyme
                energy. This enzyme energy, according to the Law of Enzyme Adaptation
                formulated by Dr. Howell, considered the father of food enzyme
                research, can then be transferred to other needy places in the body to
                bring good health."

                And this book here..
                http://books.google.com/books?id=TiB19E6JU_sC&pg=PA9&lpg=PA9&dq=%22food+enzyme+stomach%22&source=web&ots=_g2u9Q6UQv&sig=qq525zINHThbBJO3sX4wJlnbO6I

                A chapter on it here:
                http://www.soilandhealth.org/02/0201hyglibcat/020121horne/020121toc.html
                Excerpt here:
                Because cooked food can be digested with apparent ease by most people,
                it is maintained by some authorities that cooking is relatively
                harmless to food, depleting only a little from its nourishment. It is
                also maintained that the destruction of food enzymes by cooking means
                nothing because the enzymes are supposedly destroyed anyhow in the
                acid medium of the stomach before the food reaches the intestine. This
                argument is wrong, it has been shown over and over again that although
                some of them are destroyed in the stomach, exogenous enzymes (i.e.
                from outside the body) contained in raw food play an important part
                not only in assisting the digestive processes, thus relieving the
                pancreas of extra work, but in addition, are absorbed into the lymph
                and blood stream to supplement enzyme production within the body.

                As you can see, there has been research on this, but it is indeed not
                widespread or well-funded because it's not a question most researchers
                would even conceive. But if you want to wait for research to "prove"
                something before you buy into it, then continue eating any of the
                nationally recognized diet recommendations and suffer heart failure.

                --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Laurie <yahoo@...> wrote:

                > Elchanan wrote:
                >
                > > They are proteins doing what they are designed to do ... in this
                > case, rip molecules apart.
                > You can not provide any support for the claim that plant enzymes
                > mediate human digestion.
              • Laurie
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 18, 2007
                  School Of Rawk wrote:

                  > We have enough of that here.
                  We have more than enough lying here; support your scientific claims
                  with real science, or withdraw them.
                  Try to be HONEST; repeating the errors and advertising propaganda of
                  others is not HONEST.

                  Laurie

                  --
                  Scientifically-credible info on human diet:
                  http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html
                • Bob Avery
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 19, 2007
                    Laurie,

                    > I did NOT say don't eat plants; I asked for some science that
                    indicates that plant enzymes have ANY beneficial effects in the human
                    body, and you have presented NOTHING.

                    Try reading and digesting the experiments of Paul Kouchakoff.

                    Then try reading and digesting the 200+ scientific experiments cited by
                    Dr. Howell in his works.

                    You do know how to read scientific studies, don't you?

                    Then come up with an alternate theory that explains the findings of
                    Kouchakoff and those of Howell's cited studies better than Dr. Howell's
                    theory does.

                    Get back to us when you have finished. There will be a quiz.

                    A good scientist doesn't just trash another's theory without even looking
                    at it and without having an alternate hypothesis of his own to better it.

                    It's easy to detroy. It takes work to build.

                    Even better, try eating a raw food diet yourself! You just might
                    experience some otherwise inexplicable beneficial results in your own
                    health, physical and mental alike.

                    Bob Avery
                  • bryan_yamamoto
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 20, 2007
                      Bob,

                      What I understand about Kouchakoff and his research concerning
                      leukocytosis, this is more the body's response to toxins in cooked
                      foods rather than the lack of enzymes in cooked foods. And as for long
                      term health effects of eating cooked foods, I would say that the toxin
                      issue far outweighs any dead enzyme issue.

                      What do you think?
                    • Elchanan
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 21, 2007
                        I agree completely with all that you wrote, Bob, and particularly with this
                        comment, excerpted below.

                        Also please see my post published moments ago about Kouchakoff's work, RF
                        enzyme discussions, etc. From where I sit, ALL sides of this conversation
                        are deranged.

                        Best,
                        Elchanan
                        _____

                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
                          Jen wrote:
                          > There's this:

                          > ... Dr. Howell, considered the father of food enzyme research, ...
                          I asked for SCIENTIFIC SUPPORT and you reference Howell's nonsense; so much for your credibility. Is it that you really do not know what SCIENCE is??
                          http://ecologos.org/lenzyme.htm
                          Unsupported, hollow claims, made by non-scientists about science, are meaningless. Don't you understand this? Is it beyond your mental abilities?

                          Produce some SCIENCE published in credible SCIENTIFIC publications. You can't.

                          Laurie

                          --
                          Scientifically-credible info on human diet:
                          http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html
                        • Laurie
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 12, 2007
                            > Bob Avery wrote:
                            Dear Gang, let me introduce you to Bob Avery.
                            Bob Avery is arguably the most mindless zealot plaguing raw food
                            discussions ever!
                            I have been challenging his publicly-stated nonsense for over a
                            decade, and he still keeps repeating the same lies over, and over, and
                            over. It seems he deeply believes that telling the Lie one more time
                            will, at some point, empower it as the truth. Such is the depth of Mr
                            Avery's mental distortions.
                            Avery believes that the Brix refractometer can measure nutrients and
                            "nutritional quality" of "foods" by taking the Refractive Index of sap
                            from a plant, or juice from a fruit.
                            Nowhere in real science will one find such a claim; refractometer
                            manufacturers do NOT make such a claim, but Avery does WITHOUT ever
                            presenting any scientific evidence to support his claims.
                            Avery is a pathologic liar, you will see him not answer questions
                            here, he will evade the issues. His behavior is perfectly predictable
                            because he is trapped in a closed-loop universe; looping around and
                            around, endlessly.

                            = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
                            Now for Avery to evade and avoid:
                            > I asked for some science thatindicates that plant enzymes have ANY
                            beneficial effects in the humanbody, and you have presented NOTHING.

                            A> Try reading and digesting the experiments of Paul Kouchakoff.
                            NOTE: Avery presents NOTHING to support his claims, just tells ME to do HIS homework.
                            There is nothing in Kouchakoff about enzymes; supposedly he detected leucocytosis after one ate cooked foods, and even after drinking -distilled water-. This could be verified very inexpensively.
                            I will volunteer to do the blood tests, IF people here or anywhere on the web, put up enough money to cover the tests.
                            So, who is interested in some real research.

                            Avery> Then try reading and digesting the 200+ scientific experiments cited by Dr. Howell in his works.
                            Howell's nonsense has been dealt with
                            http://ecologos.org/lenzyme.htm
                            Avery can NOT refute any of my criticisms of Howell's ancient false information.

                            Avery> You do know how to read scientific studies, don't you?
                            Of course, a personal insult; representing the height of his lofty intellect.

                            Avery> ... Dr. Howell's theory does.
                            There in not one real scientist today that claims, as Howell does, that enzymes are "alive". Howell is a fraud as is Avery.
                            Let us all remember that Avery initiated tis exchange, provide some science you fraud!

                            Laurie

                            --
                            Scientifically-credible info on human diet:
                            http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html
                          • Laurie
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 12, 2007
                              bryan_yamamoto wrote:

                              > What I understand about Kouchakoff and his research concerning
                              leukocytosis, ...
                              Was this 'research' ever verified? Anyone willing to support my blood tests to replicate the 'experiment'?

                              > I would say that the toxin issue far outweighs any dead enzyme issue.
                              Where is the proof that enzymes were "alive"? There is NONE!

                              Laurie

                              --
                              Scientifically-credible info on human diet:
                              http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html
                            • Carol
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 13, 2007
                                I probably missed the beginning of this conversation, but if you are
                                talking about live enzyme supplements - you can check to see if they
                                are alive by doing the pudding test. Break open an enzyme capsule,
                                stir it into some pudding, and it should liquify the pudding in just a
                                minute. If it doesn't liquify, you have dead enzymes.

                                This is the reason you can't use fresh pineapple in jello - the live
                                enzymes in the pineapple (bromelain) will prevent it from setting.

                                Carol

                                --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Laurie <yahoo@...> wrote:

                                > bryan_yamamoto wrote:

                                > Where is the proof that enzymes were "alive"? There is NONE!

                                > Laurie
                              • Leah Morrison
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 13, 2007
                                  LAURIE,

                                  REGARDLESS OF DIFFERENCES AND ACCURACIES IN A PERSON'S BELIEF
                                  SYSTEM THIS LEVEL OF PUBLIC ATTACK SEEMS COMPLETELY INAPPROPRIATE.
                                  HAVE YOU CONSIDERED THAT OTHERS MIGHT FEEL THE SAME ABOUT YOUR
                                  BELIEFS, YET HAVE ENOUGH RESPECT FOR YOU AS A PERSON NOT TO PUBLICLY
                                  ATTACK YOU?

                                  LEAH

                                  POSTED BY: "LAURIE" YAHOO@...   LAURIEFORTI

                                  Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:21 pm (PST)

                                  > Bob Avery wrote:
                                  Dear Gang, let me introduce you to Bob Avery.
                                  Bob Avery is arguably the most mindless zealot plaguing raw food
                                  discussions ever!
                                  I have been challenging his publicly-stated nonsense for over a
                                  decade, and he still keeps repeating the same lies over, and over, and
                                  over. Laurie

                                  --
                                  Scientifically-credible info on human diet:
                                  http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html%5b1]

                                  Links:
                                  ------
                                  [1] http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html

                                • Terry Bakhtiari
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 13, 2007
                                    Leah,

                                    I agree that you can disagree with others views without resorting to namecalling and being rude.

                                    Leah Morrison <LeahMorrison@...> wrote:

                                    LAURIE,

                                    REGARDLESS OF DIFFERENCES AND ACCURACIES IN A PERSON'S BELIEF
                                    SYSTEM THIS LEVEL OF PUBLIC ATTACK SEEMS COMPLETELY INAPPROPRIATE.
                                    HAVE YOU CONSIDERED THAT OTHERS MIGHT FEEL THE SAME ABOUT YOUR
                                    BELIEFS, YET HAVE ENOUGH RESPECT FOR YOU AS A PERSON NOT TO PUBLICLY
                                    ATTACK YOU?

                                    LEAH

                                    POSTED BY: "LAURIE" YAHOO@... LAURIEFORTI

                                    Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:21 pm (PST)

                                    > Bob Avery wrote:
                                    Dear Gang, let me introduce you to Bob Avery.
                                    Bob Avery is arguably the most mindless zealot plaguing raw food
                                    discussions ever!
                                    I have been challenging his publicly-stated nonsense for over a
                                    decade, and he still keeps repeating the same lies over, and over, and
                                    over. Laurie

                                    --
                                    Scientifically-credible info on human diet:
                                    http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html%5b1]

                                    Links:
                                    ------
                                    [1] http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html

                                    Terry Lynn Bakhtiari
                                    May God bless you
                                    Today and always.
                                    www.terrywithpcos.blogspot.com

                                  • Kristi
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 22, 2007
                                      Great tip, thanks!
                                      ~kristi

                                      On Dec 13, 2007, at 7:55 AM, Carol wrote:

                                      > I probably missed the beginning of this conversation, but if you are
                                      > talking about live enzyme supplements - you can check to see if they
                                      > are alive by doing the pudding test. Break open an enzyme capsule,
                                      > stir it into some pudding, and it should liquify the pudding in just a
                                      > minute. If it doesn't liquify, you have dead enzymes.
                                      >
                                      > This is the reason you can't use fresh pineapple in jello - the live
                                      > enzymes in the pineapple (bromelain) will prevent it from setting.
                                      >
                                      > Carol
                                    • Elchanan
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 22, 2007
                                        FYI, this advice applies primarily to proteolytic (protease,
                                        protein-digesting) enzymes. For those interested ...

                                        Elchanan
                                        _____