Cleaning our food

  • Elchanan
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 3, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      Someone pointed out to me that the following was posted here in the Raw Food
      group:
      ______
      Always wash very carefully. If you can, soak the vegetables in a vegetable
      cleaner, or Clorox (if you don't like this idea, don't do it, but Clorox is
      one of the best removers of "stuff" from the skins of vegetables and fruit.
      Just soak for 10 mins. then rinse well to remove any traces of the Clorox.
      ______

      I am not certain who wrote this ... so whoever it is, please don't take this
      personally.

      Many, many people have expended countless hours and other resources trying
      to establish a workable standard for growing and producing the least toxic
      food we can. That standard is called the organic standard; food that comply
      with this standard are labeled "organic" in various forms.

      One of the fundamental issues addressed in the organic standard is that our
      food NOT be chemically treated in any way. Whoever wrote the comments,
      above, is advocating doing exactly what so many have worked so long to
      avoid: poison the food.

      I strongly discourage everyone from using any form of chemical cleaning
      agent on any fresh food, and in particular it is quite a self-destructive
      act to apply bleach to food. The idea that you can remove any traces of the
      bleach by rinsing is preposterous, as it penetrates into the food. And you
      inhale the poison, as well.

      I'd like to take a moment to examine the belief system behind this advice.
      The recommendation to use bleach, above, is predicated on belief in the
      "germ theory", that we are at war with Nature, that Nature is filled with
      organisms poised to attack us at every turn, and that the solution is to
      fight back, kill everything within sight. Well, we've been at that game for
      3 generations now, and we have the sickest society, in terms of chronic and
      degenerative diseases, in all of recorded history.

      The obvious alternative is to live healthfully, so that our bodies'
      eliminative vitality remains high at all times. Then, our bodies process
      through almost all manner of foreign matter quickly, easily, and usually
      with no conscious awareness on our part whatsoever.

      I rarely wash any produce, and I am just fine.

      Best,
      Elchanan

    • sharie lush
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 8, 2007
        There are several groups on yahoo
        1.Container Gardening (loads of Info)
        2. Gardening Oraganically(GREAT group!!)

        http://www.instructables.com/id/SUMHHJ6F4OCZUPD/

        --
        Sharie
        http://sunflower-meadows-sharie.blogspot.com/