The myth called "green peppers" (WAS: LSHS,Natural Hygiene perspective on some raw recipes [WAS] my CSA raw recipes)

  • Elchanan
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 5, 2007
      HI Theresa,

      Just a note about green peppers ... there is no such plant. A green pepper
      is nothing more than an unripe red, yellow, orange (etc.) pepper. There are,
      to my knowledge no peppers that are green and ripe at the same time, and
      this includes not only the bells, but also jalapenos, serranos, etc. Eating
      unripe fruits is definitely not a healthful choice, that's why I mention
      this.

      Best,
      Elchanan
      _____

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
        Margaret,

        I don't "know" you, but thank you for sharing your recipes.
        Especially for a "newbie" like me. I've been a nearly exclusive raw
        vegan since November 2006 now, but it's always good to see helpful
        recipes. Unfortunately, I've never been able to let go of my garlic
        & onion.

        And I've yet to get the green bell peppers that I grow in my garden
        to turn red, yellow, or any other color...no matter how long I let
        them sit in my garden...(And we love green bell peppers in our
        family so I guess we'll just have to now knowingly "poison"
        ourselves because we've never felt better in our lives.)

        Amy

        --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Margaret Gamez" <manifestnow@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello:
        > I've been receiving boxes of food from my CSA since late May,
        > and I've just decided that I should track the recipes I've come up
        > with for the adventurous vegetables I've been receiving.
        > I've put the recipes for last week and this week on my new blog
        >
        > http://prettysmartrawfoodideas.wordpress.com/
        >
        > If you would like to check it out and give me your comments
        > btw, I do not recommend doing all of the recipes in one meal - that
        > would be a food combining nightmare, I think.
        > Thanks
        > Margaret

      • trills4u
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
          OK, yes, I did know this but do eat them but I do like the red the
          best. But thankyou for reminding me that they are not ripe. since that
          is the way you get most unless you grow your own in a greenhouse they
          don't get red at least not where we live. We have not seen the sun much
          this past week and had rain yesterday and again this morning. Not
          enough to keep us from watering the garden but not enough sun and heat
          for much of a garden excrept for in our greenhouse.

          Theresa \o/
        • trills4u
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
            Amy, we can only get the red ones in our greenhouse, I don't know why.
            We have thought it is because of our short summar, this has been the
            shortest in a long time. We have even had fog the past few day in the
            morning. I'm going to try some of Margarets recipes when I get back
            from camping.

            Theresa \o/
          • rosea@newswecanuse.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
              hi,

              I've been lurking for a while...after being vegan for 10 years, I
              decided to go raw last month. For the first time in my life, I
              actually enjoy spending time in the kitchen (with my new appliances)
              and have more energy than ever. My digestive system and my skin has
              improved drastically. It's been an incredible experience.

              I'm also fairly obsessed with reading about the raw lifestyle, health
              benefits, personal journeys, etc...and in the process, I've found
              several websites offering delicious recipes.

              Here are a few of my favorites:

              Gone Raw: http://www.goneraw.com/
              Living Tree: http://www.livingtreecommunity.com/store2/recipes.asp#1
              Raw Freedom Community: http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/forum/
              forumdisplay.php?f=63
              The Raw Chef: http://therawchefblog.com/category/raw-recipes

              Feel free to share yours.

              ~Rose

              On Aug 6, 2007, at 6:24 AM, garyamythompsonjr wrote:

              > Margaret,
              >
              > I don't "know" you, but thank you for sharing your recipes.
              > Especially for a "newbie" like me. I've been a nearly exclusive raw
              > vegan since November 2006 now, but it's always good to see helpful
              > recipes. Unfortunately, I've never been able to let go of my garlic
              > & onion.
              >
              > And I've yet to get the green bell peppers that I grow in my garden
              > to turn red, yellow, or any other color...no matter how long I let
              > them sit in my garden...(And we love green bell peppers in our
              > family so I guess we'll just have to now knowingly "poison"
              > ourselves because we've never felt better in our lives.)
              >
              > Amy

            • School Of Rawk
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 7, 2007
                "And I've yet to get the green bell peppers that I grow in my garden
                to turn red, yellow, or any other color...no matter how long I let
                them sit in my garden...(And we love green bell peppers in our
                family so I guess we'll just have to now knowingly "poison"
                ourselves because we've never felt better in our lives.)"

                GOOD FOR YOU! 99% of raw foodists do this, too.

              • Erica
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 7, 2007
                  > hi,
                  >
                  > I've been lurking for a while...after being vegan for 10 years, I
                  > decided to go raw last month.

                  Great for you! That is awesome! And yes, Raw Freedom Community's
                  virtual recipe book is AMAZING!
                • Margaret Gamez
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
                    I know this is really late, but it is important to answer an item or
                    two in this message:
                    Amy wrote:
                    > Unfortunately, I've never been able to let go of my garlic
                    > & onion.

                    Okay, Amy, you could look at that as unfortunate or fortunate.
                    Garlic and onion have been respected as healing elements for centuries.

                    Garlic reduces blood pressure, helps against blood clotting, and helps
                    lower LDL, inhibiting bad cholesterol. It enhances the immune system.
                    The allicin in garlic inhibits bacterial and fungus growth. It is
                    useful in overcoming candida and other yeast related overgrowths.
                    Garlic is known to increase the flow of digestive enzymes. It also
                    promotes detoxification through the skin.

                    That definitely sounds like something I would most certainly want to
                    eliminate from my diet.

                    Uh... I mean... I want that.... uh, I mean... Oh heck! I am not
                    following the designated drummer here or anywhere.... I am doing what
                    I, myself, know and believe to be right for me. (I, at least, have
                    done my legwork, and gotten my certifications, to tell me that I know
                    what I am talking about)

                    > And I've yet to get the green bell peppers that I grow in my garden
                    > to turn red, yellow, or any other color...no matter how long I let
                    > them sit in my garden...

                    Apparently, there are peppers that will turn yellow, orange, or red,
                    and there are peppers that will grow to maturity and still be green.
                    I am trusting my organic farmer on this... he says his peppers do not
                    turn any color. My grandmother's peppers never turned. My mother's
                    peppers don't turn. I am supposing that, if you know the provenance of
                    the peppers, and they are going to turn rotten if you don't pick them
                    now, but they are still green, then green is their ripe color. I will
                    eat my green peppers -- I have a personal commitment to eat what comes
                    in the box from my CSA, and I trust my farmer. (I've eaten green
                    peppers from my mom's garden before, and I haven't died). I probably
                    will not eat green peppers from a supermarket - I do not know the grower.
                    It seems to me that there was someone here a while back (maybe Judy
                    Cozza) who said that her peppers did not turn...
                    Margaret