Re: LSHS,Natural Hygiene perspective on some raw recipes [WAS] my CSA raw recipes

  • trills4u
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 5, 2007
      I'm not sure about all of this but will think about it but that might
      be all for I do like greenpepers garlic and some of the other. We need
      the spice of life. O well.

      Theresa \o/
    • Elchanan
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 5, 2007
        HI Theresa,

        Just a note about green peppers ... there is no such plant. A green pepper
        is nothing more than an unripe red, yellow, orange (etc.) pepper. There are,
        to my knowledge no peppers that are green and ripe at the same time, and
        this includes not only the bells, but also jalapenos, serranos, etc. Eating
        unripe fruits is definitely not a healthful choice, that's why I mention
        this.

        Best,
        Elchanan
        _____

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
          Margaret,

          I don't "know" you, but thank you for sharing your recipes.
          Especially for a "newbie" like me. I've been a nearly exclusive raw
          vegan since November 2006 now, but it's always good to see helpful
          recipes. Unfortunately, I've never been able to let go of my garlic
          & onion.

          And I've yet to get the green bell peppers that I grow in my garden
          to turn red, yellow, or any other color...no matter how long I let
          them sit in my garden...(And we love green bell peppers in our
          family so I guess we'll just have to now knowingly "poison"
          ourselves because we've never felt better in our lives.)

          Amy

          --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Margaret Gamez" <manifestnow@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello:
          > I've been receiving boxes of food from my CSA since late May,
          > and I've just decided that I should track the recipes I've come up
          > with for the adventurous vegetables I've been receiving.
          > I've put the recipes for last week and this week on my new blog
          >
          > http://prettysmartrawfoodideas.wordpress.com/
          >
          > If you would like to check it out and give me your comments
          > btw, I do not recommend doing all of the recipes in one meal - that
          > would be a food combining nightmare, I think.
          > Thanks
          > Margaret

        • trills4u
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
            OK, yes, I did know this but do eat them but I do like the red the
            best. But thankyou for reminding me that they are not ripe. since that
            is the way you get most unless you grow your own in a greenhouse they
            don't get red at least not where we live. We have not seen the sun much
            this past week and had rain yesterday and again this morning. Not
            enough to keep us from watering the garden but not enough sun and heat
            for much of a garden excrept for in our greenhouse.

            Theresa \o/
          • trills4u
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
              Amy, we can only get the red ones in our greenhouse, I don't know why.
              We have thought it is because of our short summar, this has been the
              shortest in a long time. We have even had fog the past few day in the
              morning. I'm going to try some of Margarets recipes when I get back
              from camping.

              Theresa \o/
            • rosea@newswecanuse.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
                hi,

                I've been lurking for a while...after being vegan for 10 years, I
                decided to go raw last month. For the first time in my life, I
                actually enjoy spending time in the kitchen (with my new appliances)
                and have more energy than ever. My digestive system and my skin has
                improved drastically. It's been an incredible experience.

                I'm also fairly obsessed with reading about the raw lifestyle, health
                benefits, personal journeys, etc...and in the process, I've found
                several websites offering delicious recipes.

                Here are a few of my favorites:

                Gone Raw: http://www.goneraw.com/
                Living Tree: http://www.livingtreecommunity.com/store2/recipes.asp#1
                Raw Freedom Community: http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/forum/
                forumdisplay.php?f=63
                The Raw Chef: http://therawchefblog.com/category/raw-recipes

                Feel free to share yours.

                ~Rose

                On Aug 6, 2007, at 6:24 AM, garyamythompsonjr wrote:

                > Margaret,
                >
                > I don't "know" you, but thank you for sharing your recipes.
                > Especially for a "newbie" like me. I've been a nearly exclusive raw
                > vegan since November 2006 now, but it's always good to see helpful
                > recipes. Unfortunately, I've never been able to let go of my garlic
                > & onion.
                >
                > And I've yet to get the green bell peppers that I grow in my garden
                > to turn red, yellow, or any other color...no matter how long I let
                > them sit in my garden...(And we love green bell peppers in our
                > family so I guess we'll just have to now knowingly "poison"
                > ourselves because we've never felt better in our lives.)
                >
                > Amy

              • School Of Rawk
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 7, 2007
                  "And I've yet to get the green bell peppers that I grow in my garden
                  to turn red, yellow, or any other color...no matter how long I let
                  them sit in my garden...(And we love green bell peppers in our
                  family so I guess we'll just have to now knowingly "poison"
                  ourselves because we've never felt better in our lives.)"

                  GOOD FOR YOU! 99% of raw foodists do this, too.

                • Erica
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 7, 2007
                    > hi,
                    >
                    > I've been lurking for a while...after being vegan for 10 years, I
                    > decided to go raw last month.

                    Great for you! That is awesome! And yes, Raw Freedom Community's
                    virtual recipe book is AMAZING!
                  • Margaret Gamez
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
                      I know this is really late, but it is important to answer an item or
                      two in this message:
                      Amy wrote:
                      > Unfortunately, I've never been able to let go of my garlic
                      > & onion.

                      Okay, Amy, you could look at that as unfortunate or fortunate.
                      Garlic and onion have been respected as healing elements for centuries.

                      Garlic reduces blood pressure, helps against blood clotting, and helps
                      lower LDL, inhibiting bad cholesterol. It enhances the immune system.
                      The allicin in garlic inhibits bacterial and fungus growth. It is
                      useful in overcoming candida and other yeast related overgrowths.
                      Garlic is known to increase the flow of digestive enzymes. It also
                      promotes detoxification through the skin.

                      That definitely sounds like something I would most certainly want to
                      eliminate from my diet.

                      Uh... I mean... I want that.... uh, I mean... Oh heck! I am not
                      following the designated drummer here or anywhere.... I am doing what
                      I, myself, know and believe to be right for me. (I, at least, have
                      done my legwork, and gotten my certifications, to tell me that I know
                      what I am talking about)

                      > And I've yet to get the green bell peppers that I grow in my garden
                      > to turn red, yellow, or any other color...no matter how long I let
                      > them sit in my garden...

                      Apparently, there are peppers that will turn yellow, orange, or red,
                      and there are peppers that will grow to maturity and still be green.
                      I am trusting my organic farmer on this... he says his peppers do not
                      turn any color. My grandmother's peppers never turned. My mother's
                      peppers don't turn. I am supposing that, if you know the provenance of
                      the peppers, and they are going to turn rotten if you don't pick them
                      now, but they are still green, then green is their ripe color. I will
                      eat my green peppers -- I have a personal commitment to eat what comes
                      in the box from my CSA, and I trust my farmer. (I've eaten green
                      peppers from my mom's garden before, and I haven't died). I probably
                      will not eat green peppers from a supermarket - I do not know the grower.
                      It seems to me that there was someone here a while back (maybe Judy
                      Cozza) who said that her peppers did not turn...
                      Margaret