Re: [Raw Food] How to Reduce Insulin

  • Rusty
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 24 2:43 PM
      >Excessive insulin is bad and the best way to reduce it is
      to stop eating so much fat.
      -
      Hi Roger: Thanks for bringing the topic to the group.
      Insulin resistance is behind more degenerative diseases that any other cause
      by far.
      While the connection exists between insulin resistance and fat, it' not so
      much the dietary fat as the fat that the body converts from sugars. This is
      what calls for the insulin and leads to insulin resistance.
      High insulin is definitely BAD but the way to reduce insulin resistance is
      not by reducing fat so much as reducing simple carbs which stimulate the
      pancreas to produce insulin to convert the sugars to glycogen and then to
      fat.
      I'm Not implying it's caused from eating too many raw veggies but from
      eating REFINED carbs with the fiber removed. (breads, pastas, all refined
      flour products and of course sugars and honey).
      If you want the full info, read these four pages by Doctors Mercola and
      Rosedale completely:
      http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/14/insulin.htm
      Dr. Mercola also promotes grass fed beef so if you find his opinion suspect
      you may
      prefer the medical book called, "Syndrome-X"
      http://www.syndrome-x.com/
      And on the topic of Fats, have you read Dr. Udo Erasmus', book, "Fats that
      heal: Fats that Kill"?
      Until you read it. be careful of cutting out all fats. You don't want to
      throw the baby out with the bathwater.
      http://www.evergreen.ie/efas.htm
      rusty
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 24 10:39 PM
        Hi Rusty,

        Yes I've read that stuff before from Dr. Rosedale. I've also read all
        the bad things that eating sugar supposedly does. But this doesn't apply
        when it comes to eating raw fruit in my opinion. Of over 100 problems
        associated to eating sugar I may have experienced only one of them.
        These findings would have to apply much more to grains and refined
        sugars, than the sugars in fruit.

        But I want to repeat. According to Dr. Graham's sources, insulin isn't
        even needed to transport sugar across the cell wall if the fat in the
        bloodstream is low. This means that you can eat sugar from fruit and the
        body will not secrete insulin or minute amounts of insulin to process
        that sugar. What I'm saying is I disagree with Dr. Mercola and Rosedale
        on the sugar issue.

        I have my own experiences as well to back up what Dr. Graham has said.
        I've met three people who have cured their Candida on a low fat and high
        fruit diet. Dr. Graham has helped many people get off of insulin
        injections with his low fat raw food regimen.

        If you're on a raw diet you have to choose between getting most of your
        calories from fatty foods like avocado, nuts and seeds or from simple
        carbohydrate sources from fruit or eating lots of both.

        At least in my experience I've found that a high fat diet is not at all
        ideal. That's also the opinion of hundreds of other doctors, researchers
        and nutritionists around the world. Not say that they could sway me if I
        disagreed with them.

        One really has to be careful with too much fat in the diet IMO.

        Yes fats are necessary. The question is how much fat do we really need.
        I've found I operate at peak performance on very low levels of fat. I've
        corresponded with other people on this board who feel the same.

        Was at a David Wolfe talk tonight and I took lots of notes. I plan to
        start putting up some emails containing the contents of what he spoke
        about. It was a very interesting talk.

        Roger Haeske

        Have you tried the Raw Diet many times but failed to stick with it? Now
        you can learn the Motivational and Dietary Secrets to success on a 100%
        Raw Food Diet. From Infinite Potential and Raw Food Coach, Roger Haeske,
        the author of Your Hidden Power - eClass, Infinite Tennis and
        http://www.superbeing.com Go to http://www.superbeingdiet.com to learn
        how to go 100% RAW.

        >Excessive insulin is bad and the best way to reduce it is
        to stop eating so much fat.
        -
        Hi Roger: Thanks for bringing the topic to the group.
        Insulin resistance is behind more degenerative diseases that any other
        cause
        by far.
        While the connection exists between insulin resistance and fat, it' not
        so
        much the dietary fat as the fat that the body converts from sugars. This
        is
        what calls for the insulin and leads to insulin resistance.
        High insulin is definitely BAD but the way to reduce insulin resistance
        is
        not by reducing fat so much as reducing simple carbs which stimulate the
        pancreas to produce insulin to convert the sugars to glycogen and then
        fat.
        I'm Not implying it's caused from eating too many raw veggies but from
        eating REFINED carbs with the fiber removed. (breads, pastas, all
        refined
        flour products and of course sugars and honey).
        If you want the full info, read these four pages by Doctors Mercola and
        Rosedale completely:
        http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/14/insulin.htm
        Dr. Mercola also promotes grass fed beef so if you find his opinion
        suspect
        you may
        prefer the medical book called, "Syndrome-X"
        http://www.syndrome-x.com/
        And on the topic of Fats, have you read Dr. Udo Erasmus', book, "Fats
        that
        heal: Fats that Kill"?
        Until you read it. be careful of cutting out all fats. You don't want to
        throw the baby out with the bathwater.
        http://www.evergreen.ie/efas.htm
        rusty
        One more thing. If you reduce the amount of fat in your
        bloodstream you reduce the need for excessive insulin.
        Apparently if the fat in the bloodstream is very low, then
        the body needs either no or very little insulin to absorb
        blood sugars.

        Excessive insulin is bad and the best way to reduce it is
        to stop eating so much fat. After a while you'll adjust to
        not eating as much fat. You'll feel much better mentally and
        emotionally. I think this information would also help Victor
        with his high blood pressure.

        We only need about 3% of our calories from fat. This can be
        achieved by eating no fatty foods as there are enough fats
        in raw fruits and vegetables to supply us with that amount
        of fat. Celery can be up to 10% of calories from fat. Grapes
        8%. It can be quite surprising how much fat there is in
        these foods we don't associate fat to be in.

        Roger Haeske

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Rusty
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 25 8:04 AM
          > the value of
          Omega fats but they come out of vegetables.
          -
          Fresh grownd flax seed is a great source of Omega 3 and fiber.
          rusty

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 25 8:12 AM
            >But this doesn't apply
            when it comes to eating raw fruit in my opinion.
            _
            And the Doctors agree. RAW fruit comes complete with the original fiber and
            is a slow release.
            -
            >According to Dr. Graham's sources, insulin isn't
            even needed to transport sugar across the cell wall if the fat in the
            bloodstream is low. This means that you can eat sugar from fruit and the
            body will not secrete insulin or minute amounts of insulin to process
            that sugar.
            -
            Yes the sugar is drawn by osmosis across the cell wall and is burned as
            glucose and in the absence of fats in the bloodstream for fuel the body
            defaults to burning this sugar directly.
            But that's not what we are talking about, the sugar that is burned. What we
            are talking about is the excess dietary sugar that is not needed at the
            moment. The Body cannot store it as such in the cells, it must be converted
            to glycogen to store in the liver and muscles, and when the glycogen stores
            are full the liver converts the excess glycogen to fat to be stored in the
            cells.
            When you eat that singular piece of raw fruit it's digestion rate is about
            the same as the body's fuel reqirement and no inulin is called for in this
            process. But if you drank a glass of that fruit's juice, the sugar hit is
            so fast that the blood sugars would reach dangerouus levels unless the
            pancreas secretes enough insulin to convert it to glycogen.
            Dr. Graham's sources are correct about process but to leap to the conclucion
            that Insulin Resistace is a fat rather than sugar problem is to confuse
            sugars burned as fuel and EXCESS sugar which is NOT absorbd through the
            cells walls and would give dangerous blood sugar levels if not converted by
            insulin.
            -
            >These findings would have to apply much more to grains and refined
            sugars, than the sugars in fruit.
            -
            Absolutely right, as the starch in the grains converts to sucrose which is
            much more quickly assimilated than fructose and in addition the fiber in the
            raw fruit slows down the release.
            -
            >What I'm saying is I disagree with Dr. Mercola and Rosedale
            on the sugar issue.
            -
            Agreeing with Dr. Graham does not directlly lead to disagreeing with
            Rosdale or Mercola. I disagee with Mercola on lots of issues but this seems
            pretty straightforward.
            Do you also disagree with Jack Challem, Burt Berkson, and Melissa Diane
            Smith, the authors of syndrome-x?
            http://www.syndrome-x.com/#who
            >Was at a David Wolfe talk tonight and I took lots of notes. I plan to
            start putting up some emails containing the contents of what he spoke
            about. It was a very interesting talk.
            -
            Looking forward to it Roger.

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 26 12:32 PM
              Thanks Rusti,

              Even before I became a raw foodist, when reading Dr. Robert Atkins, I
              became convinced that insulin over-production was my problem. Such a
              notion was echoed in other articles and books I had read too. Then I
              wrote to this forum that I felt mixing sugar and fat was a bad idea.
              There seemed some skepticism as to the validity my obviously amateur
              deduction. Nobody seemed to be able to find had any scientific
              foundation for my thesis. I simply kept away from mixing fat and sugar
              even still do.

              However now the consensus seems to be that sugar in fruit is not the
              problem but rather the vegetable fats are the motor for insulin
              production when evil forms of sugar have been removed from the diet.
              Thus I will confine myself to the fat and sugar found in vegetables and
              low sugar fruit and let that run for a bit.

              Looking with a Paleolithic eye, we see that chimpanzees eye eat a lot of
              fruit and will feast the odd monkey when he can. They have a frenetic
              amount of energy and bounce all over the place at high speed with a lot
              of shrieking to boot. By contrast man is by nature calmer, more along
              the lines of a gorilla who eats a lot more vegetable than fruit. I
              suspect that moving away from a heavily green diet has been the cause of
              not just my arterial problem but for millions of others too. Certainly
              what I have been eating with too many avocados and nuts coupled with a
              lot of fruit has not yet cured my disease although there is considerable
              improvement. I do not bounce around like a chimpanzee... Thus I am
              inflecting my diet to dramatically reduce the intake of vegetable fat
              still further. I will eat a only a small amount of low sugar fruit and
              see what happens.

              Peter

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 26 1:39 PM
                > do not bounce around like a chimpanzee...
                -
                On the other hand do you thump your breast bone and stimulate the thymus
                gland several times a day. Tarzan learned that one:)
                You're on to something but Id be careful of categorizing all vegetable fats
                as the same or similar. Fats from some seeds and nuts are toxic but from
                others such as flax they're life giving.
                Insulin is called for to convert excess blood sugars to glycogen, other wise
                the blood begins to clot and white blood cells clump and are ineffective and
                destruction is close. It's a given in basic physics that the difference in
                density of the blood outside the cell when fats are not present will
                accelerate the intake of sugar to the cell by osmosis but it won't increase
                it beyond it's rate of use.
                What ever the mechanism for the utilization of Neceasary blood sugars to
                feed the fuel requirements of the moment is not the reason insulin is
                called. It's is stimulated by more blood sugar than the body can burn in
                this moment. Releasing the sugar in a controlled way by eating a piece of
                fruit does NOT call on Insulin. Only when your sugar intake exeeds the
                body's need is insulin callled upon.
                rusty

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 27 1:15 PM
                  Nice points Rusty,

                  A question that comes to my mind is what is too much sugar
                  from fruit? The highest percentage of our nutrient needs
                  come from sugar. We need more sugar than protein or fat to
                  run our bodies and our brains.

                  In my experience, I've been able to eat quite a bit of
                  sugar from raw fruit without problem. I have also eaten
                  excess sugar even while on the low fat diet. This again made
                  my problems worse.

                  I really had to eat a ton of sweet fruits for this to be a
                  problem. I intentionally overate as an experiment to see if
                  by eating too many calories from fruit would make me put on
                  weight. I had to stop the experiment as stuffing myself with
                  4,000 to 5,000 calories caused too many problems.

                  I can eat 15 to 20 bananas in a day and other fruit and not
                  feel adverse reactions if I stay on a low fat diet. Even if
                  we fast, we are still running on blood sugar, even if that
                  blood sugar level goes down 20 or 30%. If you eat a fat it
                  has to be converted to sugar for your fuel needs anyway. So
                  why go to all the extra trouble and wasted energy. Every
                  cell in your body is fueled by sugar.

                  The longest lived and some of the healthiest people on the
                  planet are the Okinawan elders of Japan. Their diet is 60 to
                  70% carbohydrates. They have a high percentage of
                  centenarians and many people living into old age but living
                  active lifestyles. They stay thin and don't have a heavy
                  plague buildup in their arteries. They have a very low
                  incidence of Cancer.

                  What they found is that when these people changed their
                  diet and lifestyles they started having the typical diseases
                  and problems we experience in western culture. But the
                  Okinawans who moved away from Okinawa but maintained their
                  lifestyle and diet remained healthy. I'm paraphrasing some
                  of the findings I've read about.

                  I really question some of the findings by Dr. Rosedale. We
                  don't need to eat meat to be healthy. From a raw foodists
                  perspective we can get our calorie needs from high sugar
                  sources and or high fat sources. The high fat sources cause
                  all sorts of health problems.

                  Look at the Eskimos whose diet is almost exclusively fatty
                  foods. Apparently their average lifespan is about 36 years
                  of age or so. They also have lots of osteoporosis. When
                  researchers first discovered the native Eskimos they tried
                  to eat their diets. They were simply unable to survive
                  eating what the Eskimos ate.

                  One can eventually adapt to eating a high fat and low sugar
                  diet, but with poor results. At least that is what happened
                  to me when I tried it. I had very low energy and needed
                  excessive amounts of sleep.

                  I'm sorry but I choose to live longer than 36 years if
                  possible. I'm just giving another viewpoint because Dr.
                  Rosedale and Dr. Mercola can sound quite convincing and I
                  was even convinced to try out Dr. Rosedale's ideas for a
                  while. However, I've done my research and personal
                  experimentation on many diets and have decided to choose a
                  high fruit, lots of greens and veggies and low fat diet for
                  optimal results.

                  I've tried many different diet variations and have learned
                  much. Of course, people are quite different and will have
                  their own results. So in the end we must take the
                  suggestions and make our own experiments and see what works.
                  We may not always be right even in our own conclusions. I
                  know I was wrong many times. At least I can trust my motives
                  and experiences to eventually lead me to a higher truth.

                  Thanks again for your info Rusty. It fuels a good discussion.

                  Roger Haeske

                  Discover the 10,000 year old Simple Secret for Effortless
                  Weight Loss, Radiant Health, Super Athletic Performance,
                  Spiritual, Mental, Emotional Health, Success and more. Go to
                  www.superbeing.com/awesometechnique.htm
                • Rusty
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 27 2:34 PM
                    A question that comes to my mind is what is too much sugar
                    from fruit?
                    -
                    Hi Roger. Too much sugar from anything is simply, 'more than the body needs for food supply at the moment'. basicly eat small snacks with fiber in for slower release and many throughout the day.