New to group- question about hot lemon water in the morning

  • Natalie Harley
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 7, 2007
      Hi All~

      I have been reading the posts here for about a month
      and have learned a lot about raw foods and it's
      benefits. I'm am working on incorporating this way of
      living into my life. I can see it will be an ongoing
      process,yet it is one that I am willing to accomplish
      to live a healthier life.

      I have looked at two juicing books that recommend
      drinking a warm/hot glass of water with fresh lemon to
      "cleanse the system". I understand that if a person is
      100% raw, that this practice isn't nessasary,
      however,(a) does anyone do this that isn't at 100% raw
      and (b)how does a glass of warm lemon water "cleanse
      the system"? Thanks for answering my questions.

      Smiles~

      Natalie

      Natalie

      http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
    • Margaret Gamez
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 8, 2007
        Hi Natalie:
        raw or not raw, lemon juice in water is very alkalizing. It is
        good for every body. Not necessary does not necessarily mean
        not good to do.
        I put lemon juice in my drinking water always. I like the taste.
        I grew accustomed to it years ago. It won't hurt me, and it is good
        for me, regardless of where I am at.
        Margaret

        Natalie wrote:
        > drinking a warm/hot glass of water with fresh lemon to
        > "cleanse the system". I understand that if a person is
        > 100% raw, that this practice isn't nessasary,
        > however,(a) does anyone do this that isn't at 100% raw
        > and (b)how does a glass of warm lemon water "cleanse
        > the system"? Thanks for answering my questions.
      • Tiffany
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 13, 2007
          I wouldn't ever heat lemon water - that would destroy the enzymes. Gosh, why do most people insist on heating just about everything they injest???

          Every morning I drink a form of "Master Cleanse" solution of about a quart of purified water with the juice of a freshly squeezed organic lemon in it. I've learned that after a restful night of sleeping, lemon water "finishes the job" by rinsing and purifying my insides, as well as give me an antioxidant boost and alkalinity. Basically, I'm off to a clean start for the day!

          - Tiffany Lohr

          Natalie wrote:
          drinking a warm/hot glass of water with fresh lemon to "cleanse the system". I understand that if a person is 100% raw, that this practice isn't nessasary, however,(a) does anyone do this that isn't at 100% raw and (b)how does a glass of warm lemon water "cleanse the system"? Thanks for answering my questions.

        • jeannieh h
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 14, 2007
            I used to be such a coffee addict..... I couldn't start the day without my morning coffee for years and years....I laugh at that today. I find it hard to believe that it took me so many tries and so many years to wean myself off of coffee....what a drug it is.

            Now my "coffee" is a nice tall glass of cold water with lemon, cayenne and maple syrup. Now I can't start my morning without this very yummy and eye opening drink. Funny thing is at work people think this is "weird". lol

            Jeannie

            your time is the most cherished gift of all, tomorrow is promised to no one.

            Natalie wrote:
            drinking a warm/hot glass of water with fresh lemon to "cleanse the system". I understand that if a person is 100% raw, that this practice isn't nessasary, however,(a) does anyone do this that isn't at 100% raw and (b)how does a glass of warm lemon water "cleanse the system"? Thanks for answering my questions.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Anna Bishop
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 14, 2007
              lol..i bet..

              they think im weird too...

              but im one of only 2 thin people in my work center....like they say...

              dont hate me......8-P

              peace
              anna

              --
              Anna

              "A fool can not understand wisdom even if he associates with a sage." - Buddha

              "Do not throw pearls to swine, lest they trample over them and attack
              you." - Jesus
            • Yngona Desmond
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 16, 2007
                Jeannie wrote [[Now my "coffee" is a nice tall glass of cold water with
                lemon, cayenne and maple syrup.]]
                ** I drink 2 cups of lemon water first thing in the morning, its an
                old school Yoga 'secret'.

                Not only is it alkaline (which I think you also point out) but it is
                excellent for 'flushing' the body out before eating.

                ... Yngona
                GA_Organic-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
              • Elchanan
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 30, 2007
                  Hi Natalie,

                  Backlog cleanup, your turn! :)

                  First, a belated "welcome" to this group and to the RF world and lifestyle.
                  By now I imagine you are getting that creating health involves much, much
                  more than just diet!!

                  Here are a couple of quick thoughts about your questions and comments,
                  below.

                  1. I suggest eating whole foods over fractional foods, whole foods over
                  juicing. Why? Because the fiber in the foods (fruits in particular) is
                  integral to proper digestion. In particular, the soluble fiber moderates
                  sugar absorption (transfer of sugar from the small intestine into the blood
                  stream) and stimulates peristalsis (muscular activity in the intestinal wall
                  that moves food along through the digestive tube). In addition, the small
                  amount of relatively soft insoluble fiber contained in fruits helps
                  stimulate peristalsis, as well ... gently, in just the "right" way.

                  2. As I've written before, the whole lemon thing is one of a bezillion RF
                  myths. True, lemons are slightly alkaline-forming at the end of the
                  digestive process. But you cannot ever eat enough lemons to create a
                  systemic alkalizing effect. For more information, see, for example, posts
                  #29665, 29832, and 30305.

                  So if you find a bit of lemon water refreshing and enjoyable, then by all
                  means, enjoy! But please do not deceive yourself into believing that a bit
                  of lemon water will, in and of itself, "cleanse" your system. Your system
                  will cleanse your system.

                  Please note that the greatest cleansing activity of all occurs during
                  fasting on water alone. In other words, it is the cessation of all eating
                  that brings about the deepest, most rapid cleansing. Foods do not cleanse
                  the body ... the body cleanses itself.

                  Best,
                  Elchanan
                  _____