thoughts...questions....experiences....

  • kerri
    Message 1 of 5 , May 20, 2007
      Hello everyone! I'm one of those "shy" ones who doesn't post often, but lives for the next
      message to arrive in my box so I can see what others are thinking...anyway, I finally feel
      compelled to give my 2 cents....

      So a couple of days ago, it was mentioned that our human digestive systems were not
      designed to work with solid foods until we are about 3 years old...and that ideally we
      would breastfeed our children until that time. What a thought! I think it would be nearly
      impossible to do that in today's society- between time constraints and state laws and all
      that jazz.....however it certainly made me think! I don't have kids yet...but I found this
      fascinating...and it seems to me that it is quite possibly true that our bodies aren't
      designed to digest solids until much later than we typically introduce them........Anyway,
      while it would be one heck of a challenge to actually do that, I think it serves as an
      inspiration to really consider what we are giving our babies, and to try to give them the
      next best thing.

      I love hearing advice from people, and doing research.....and the best part of it all is
      figuring out what works best for ME at this point in time. I used to exercise for like, 3
      hours a day in college (I was a varsity athlete, so it was mandatory), but that doesn't work
      for me now. Its a struggle, but its also fun to try to figure out what WILL work. Same
      goes for all of the advice on this group. Some of us may have all the time in the world to
      dehydrate foods and cut up melons.....again, financially, we are all going to be in a
      different place. I enjoy each and every opinion/idea that has been shared since I joined
      the group, BECAUSE they are all coming from a different place! Its wonderful! And while
      we can't all do everything...isn't it great to have a place to bounce these ideas off of each
      other? And who else can you ask about digestion and detoxing? I know my friends would
      think I was NUTS if they knew some of the things I read about!

      So.....as far as my questions.....what is everyone's favorite juice recipe (if you juice)?

      oh, and any wonderful ideas for a super busy schedule?

      not that this applies yet...but how about homemade baby food? I know that there are tons
      of books on what you should feed first, and how much...etc....but everything i've seen is
      based on store-bought foods. I'm thinking that I would like to make my baby's food from
      organic veggies, and make it fresh. All i've been able to find so far is that homemade baby
      food only stays fresh for about 2 days. I don't have a kiddo yet (as i said before), but i
      definitely want to have all that kind of info LONG before we go down that road!!!!

      Alright.....I'm happy, becuase this whole weekend I didn't want anything other than fresh
      fruits and veggies....which is a first for me! I am actually VERY excited about the work
      week, because while my schedule is hectic as can be, it requires planning, which means I
      am more successful in some ways.

      Alright, thats my thoughts...i'm sure you're all tired of me now!

      ~ kerri
    • Anna Bishop
      Message 2 of 5 , May 20, 2007
        banana, blueberry and spinach. yum!

        anna

      • vegigran@msn.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 21, 2007
          Hi Kerri,

          Milk is definitely for babies of all species. We could learn a lot from the other animals. Our bodies are so magnificently designed that when we are ready to handle whole food, the digestive juices and teeth begin to appear. Around the age of two, the human has a pretty good set of teeth to handle a good range of whole foods To juice up or mush up food for them before this time is a big mistake. If they are capable to grind it up on their own, their digestive systems are usually capable of digesting it also. It is especially important for them to keep their little jaws strong and healthy awaiting those second permanent teeth that will soon start coming in.

          Breastfeeding until three is not probable in todays society, but not impossible. My DIL breastfeeds her 4 month old and also her almost 3 year old. She is one milk producing mama. The almost 3 year old can handle just about any kind food now, so breastfeeding is more of a security thing to her now. My DIL said she wished she had weened her before the new baby arrived, but now it is hard because she doesn't want the older one to feel "pushed" away because of the new sister. She does breastfeed her only at night now, so I'm sure it's an emotional/security thing now where she has mommy's full attention and time.

          Sharon
          In our hearts we plan our day, but it is God who determines our steps. Proverbs 16:9

        • Hank@MT
          Message 4 of 5 , May 22, 2007
            When I had my first daughter my goal was to breastfeed her until she
            was about 6 months old. By the time she was 6 months old, I had
            decided due to research, that I should at least breastfeed her until
            1 year. By the time she was a year I felt self weaning was the way
            to go. At the urging of her pediatrician, I tried introducing
            different types of baby food a couple of times only to end up with an
            unhappy constipated baby. At one year she was still primarily
            breastfed and happy, at 2 years she still nursed about every 2
            hours. Sleep? Well co-sleeping was the answer to that question.
            She weaned at about 4 years when I was pregnant with my second. With
            my second, I just didn't worry about it. She had a lot of food
            allergies so my diet was restricted until she was about a year old.
            I don't know what I would have done has she not been nursing. At any
            rate, she didn't eat very many solids until she was almost 2. She
            had a very strong gag reflex and until she could really eat solids
            (nothing mashed or pureed) she couldn't eat anything. She also
            weaned at about 4. I have to say both of my daughters are very
            healthy and independent and well adjusted. Nursing the first one for
            so long was a challenge, mainly because of my own lack of confidence
            in my decisions and beliefs. I joined La Leche League and made many
            like-minded friends. Nursing my second daughter was not so difficult
            as I knew I was doing the right thing for her. I will say after they
            hit 2 I didn't nurse in public anymore, only in the car if we were
            out. Mainly because of reading about problems people had with
            strangers and not wanting to deal with that. Also, I want to say
            neither of my children had bad breath or any kind of body odor until
            a couple of months after they quit breastfeeding. Morning breath
            just never happened until breast milk was out of the picture.

            I would encourage anyone to nurse their children as long as they
            can. As your child grows and nurses less the concentration of anti-
            bodies that your child gets in your breastmilk continues. Also,
            tests have been done on breastmilk of mothers who are tandem nursing
            (nursing a new born and toddler). When the newborn nurses
            exclusively on one breast and the toddler exclusively on the other,
            the milk is totally different in the two breasts. One is exactly
            what the newborn needs and the other is exactly what a toddler
            needs. Our bodies are amazing! Breastfed kids also have a 30% lower
            risk of diabetes, childhood leukemia, certain types of cancer,
            asthma, etc.

            Sorry, didn't mean to get on my soap box but breastfeeding your child
            is probably one of the best things you can do to start your baby off
            right. It is the ultimate raw food!

            Tammy
          • Elchanan
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2007
              Hi Kerri,

              My backlog cleanup continues. On May 20, you published a post entitled
              "thoughts...questions....experiences...." And buried in that post was the
              question, excerpted below. In response, I offer you a cross-post of
              PathOfHealth post #12158, entitled "Core Distinction: Being Busy, vs. Being
              Busy Being Busy".
              ______
              Janet,

              Yes, I imagine, as Toni has pointed out, that all the parents here are light
              years ahead of most other parents out there, the product of a different
              awareness and probably much more.

              At the same time, my comments were for you personally, not about Arwen. Here
              is a distinction I sometimes describe to people. It's a distinction between
              "being busy" and "being busy being busy". From my perspective, these are
              opposites.

              1. Being busy: Busy people are among the most productive on the planet. They
              always have things going on, many "balls in the air", yet they almost always
              seem calm and grounded. These are the people who, no matter how "busy" them
              seem to be, always seem able to make time for people and activities they
              genuinely value. When I want something done and done well, I find one of
              these people, they're the best! They typically have a clear sense of what
              they wish to accomplish. We rarely hear these people say "I'm so busy blah
              blah blah." Nowadays, in my opinion, the world contains few of, and could
              use many more of, such people.

              2. Being busy being busy: People who are busy being busy almost always seem
              frazzled to some degree, always somewhat stressed and overwhelm. The big
              clue: these people TALK almost continually about how busy they are, what
              they have not yet done, etc. They tend to volunteer without thinking things
              through, creating an endless stream of nightmares for people like me ...
              people trying to build an activity largely on the basis of volunteerism. We
              never know what to believe, what commitment to trust and count on, etc.

              Get the distinction? Oh, one more thing: I do not notice many people moving
              back and forth between #1 and #2 ... in my experience, there are lots of #2
              and a handful of #1. for many people, moving from #2 to #1 can be one of the
              fundamental shifts on the path of health.

              Hope this makes sense!
              Elchanan

              PS: This is one of those posts directed a no one in particular, just
              expressing and committing to writing certain ideas floating in my head.

              _____

              oh, and any wonderful ideas for a super busy schedule?