Re: Newbie here!

  • Erica
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2007
      www.rawfoodtalk.com is a GREAT place to also get answers from people.
      and learn a lot. :-)
    • Marjorie
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1 6:27 PM
        Hi Danielle,

        Congrats on your new mission! You can do it.

        I have three kids who I raised as whole foods vegetarians, then
        transitioned to mostly vegan with an even higher percentage of plants,
        and now am moving towards all raw with them.

        I also had a home daycare for several years and had many children who
        at mostly fast food and processed foods like mac and cheese, hot dogs,
        frozen pizza, crackers, and cookies at home. I served a vegetarian
        whole foods menu to these kids.

        Here are some tips that I've learned along the way...

        1) Kids usually like the food group that is actually the best for them--
        fruit. Offer a big variety of fresh fruit whenever he shows interest.

        2) Kids WILL eat healthy food if there is nothing else to eat. There
        is never any processed food, meat, or dairy in my house. If it is
        here, certainly my kids would choose it. Since it is not, they happily
        eat the healthy foods available. When I had daycare, the kids really
        had two choices, eat what was served or go hungry. Usually, although
        not always, they ate. No healthy child will starve himself.

        3) Children, especially toddlers, like foods in isolation. Instead of
        a salad with chopped red pepper, sliced celery, and grated carrot, kids
        prefer lettuce, pepper, carrots, and celery in individual piles.

        4) Children, especially toddlers, may need exposure to foods many times
        before they'll try them. Continue to offer the same food many times
        even if it goes untouched on their plate. Eventually, they will try it.

        5) Children like to dip. Make a healthy sauce to dip veggies or fruit
        in and it may encourage them to eat it.

        6) Don't make food a big "issue"--a mistake I made with my oldest child
        and have not repeated since (I hope!). Don't give long lectures, don't
        get upset, don't try to coerce your child to eat. When he's hungry,
        give him a list of options (or just a plate with a few things on it).
        If he starts demanding specific processed food items, just calmly
        explain that you don't have any and offer an alternative.

        7) Don't give attention to tantrums. If whining in the grocery store
        is an issue, stop taking him for awhile until the storm passes.

        However, the grocery store can be fun. Take him to the produce section
        and let him choose whatever he wants.

        Finally, my unsolicited opinion...I think you're better off spending
        your money on food rather than supplements.

        Take care. All the best to you on your journey.

        Marjorie

        --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Danielle" <deeswholefoods@...> wrote:
        > I have a two year old who won't eat anything healthy. It is my fault
        > I let him have chips, cheese and meats all the time. Now he is anti
        > veggie.
        > I am on a mission to change my ways and the ways of this entire
        house.