Sprout mold?

  • moonblue400
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 11, 2007
      Hi,

      I am just beginning my raw life and I have had some problems with some
      of my sprouts lately...or at least I think it is a problem. On the
      third day of sprouting radish or broccoli it the roots of the sprouts
      appear moldy (white fuzzy). I read somewhere that it really is not
      mold, that it is millions of microroots. Does anyone know which is
      true? The fuzz disapears when I rinse, and it does not smell bad.

      Jessica
    • potato@integrity.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 12, 2007
        I spray my sproups with, food grade hydrogen peroxide and don't have a
        mold problem.

        Theresa \o/

        Quoting moonblue400 <jessica400@...>:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am just beginning my raw life and I have had some problems with some
        > of my sprouts lately...or at least I think it is a problem. On the
        > third day of sprouting radish or broccoli it the roots of the sprouts
        > appear moldy (white fuzzy). I read somewhere that it really is not
        > mold, that it is millions of microroots. Does anyone know which is
        > true? The fuzz disapears when I rinse, and it does not smell bad.
        >
        > Jessica

      • azandrew
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 12, 2007
          Hi!

          Can you tell me (and others) when you spray and how much, etc...I have
          seen the same white fuzzy stuff too, but it seems to wash of when the
          sprouts are rinsed.

          I'd be interested in any info you can provide - have been thinking
          about food grade hydrogen peroxide, but don't know when and how much
          to use...

          Thanks,

          Andrew

          --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, potato@... wrote:

          > I spray my sproups with, food grade hydrogen peroxide and don't have a
          > mold problem.
          >
          > Theresa \o/
          >

          > Quoting moonblue400 <jessica400@...>:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I am just beginning my raw life and I have had some problems with some
          > > of my sprouts lately...or at least I think it is a problem. On the
          > > third day of sprouting radish or broccoli it the roots of the sprouts
          > > appear moldy (white fuzzy). I read somewhere that it really is not
          > > mold, that it is millions of microroots. Does anyone know which is
          > > true? The fuzz disapears when I rinse, and it does not smell bad.
          > >
          > > Jessica

        • ella1884
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 12, 2007
            You have healthly sprouts and NO mold; what you see are the tiny hair
            roots of brassica. When I see the fuzz appearing, I know it's rinsing
            time, they are thirsty!

            I quote from
            http://www.sproutpeople.com/seed/broccoli.html
            "These wonderful little Brassica plants have a unique root structure.
            Brassicas will show microscopic roots starting around day 3. They are
            called root hairs and are most visible just before Rinsing when the
            sprouts are at their driest. When you Rinse the root hairs will
            collapse back against the main root. Many folks think these root hairs
            are mold - but they are not. Now you know!"

            --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "moonblue400" <jessica400@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I am just beginning my raw life and I have had some problems with some
            > of my sprouts lately...or at least I think it is a problem. On the
            > third day of sprouting radish or broccoli it the roots of the sprouts
            > appear moldy (white fuzzy). I read somewhere that it really is not
            > mold, that it is millions of microroots. Does anyone know which is
            > true? The fuzz disapears when I rinse, and it does not smell bad.
            >
            > Jessica
          • Jan
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 12, 2007
              Jessica,

              The white fuzzy mold is an indication that you need to rinse the
              sprouts longer or with greater pressure. Use a forceful sprayer hose
              and don't go longer than 12 hours between rinses. If the room is
              hot, you may need to rinse more often. Also make sure you rinse away
              seed hulls because they can provide breeding matter for mold.

              White mold is generally harmless. If you see gray or black mold,
              then you should throw out the sprouts and sterilize your sprouter
              container before starting again.

              It's a good idea to add a little food grade hydrogen peroxide (35%)
              to the water you use to soak the seeds before sprouting.

              Jan

            • potato@integrity.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 12, 2007
                wash out your jar with bleach before you start. use 12 tabespoons of
                hydrogen peroxide 2 2qts.water and spray the sprouts each time you
                rinse them. You can read alabout it onsproutman and easygreen.com. I
                have read about it on othersites also. We use galon jars and have
                about 10 going at all times. But we do feed a few at each meal.Your
                tap water can have bacteria and algae.We grow about 5-8 different
                kinds of sprouts at a time. My family does not want to go raw but they
                will eat sprouts.

                Theresa \o/
              • belly_dancer_one
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 13, 2007
                  The white fuzzy stuff on radishes is not mold if you look close they
                  are tiny roots. I have sprouted radishes many times, the 1st few
                  times I though them out because I thought they were molded, until
                  someone told me, so I thought I would pass on the info.

                  --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "moonblue400" <jessica400@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I am just beginning my raw life and I have had some problems with
                  some
                  > of my sprouts lately...or at least I think it is a problem. On the
                  > third day of sprouting radish or broccoli it the roots of the
                  sprouts
                  > appear moldy (white fuzzy). I read somewhere that it really is not
                  > mold, that it is millions of microroots. Does anyone know which is
                  > true? The fuzz disapears when I rinse, and it does not smell bad.
                  >
                  > Jessica

                • berrywell
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 13, 2007
                    Hi, there.
                    If you are rinsing your sprouts at least twice a day, there should be
                    no mold. Make sure you are rinsing with quality water-many bottled
                    waters labeled "pure" or "enhanced" are nothing more than chlorinated
                    tap water. I use spring water for my sprouts. I got a Kitchen Crop
                    sprouter (I found mine for a dollar at thrift store) It makes
                    sprouting SOOOOO much easier-you just pour water in the top tray, and
                    if funnels down to wash all three trays-super convenient, I highly
                    recommend it. The fuzzy stuff is likely just microroots. If they
                    smell fresh, they likely are. I have ventured into some more
                    adventurous sprouts lately, like fennungreek, green and yellow pea
                    sprouts, french lentils, etc. Most delightful. Another seed I
                    recently discovered is chia seeds (think chia pet) which is actually a
                    yummy superfood. Who knew? google chia for more info
                    Brenda
                    --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "moonblue400" <jessica400@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I am just beginning my raw life and I have had some problems with
                    some
                    > of my sprouts lately...or at least I think it is a problem. On the
                    > third day of sprouting radish or broccoli it the roots of the sprouts
                    > appear moldy (white fuzzy). I read somewhere that it really is not
                    > mold, that it is millions of microroots. Does anyone know which is
                    > true? The fuzz disapears when I rinse, and it does not smell bad.
                    >
                    > Jessica

                  • moonblue400
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 13, 2007
                      Thanks for all the input on my sprout concerns.
                      I rinse my sprouts often, about 5 times a day, but at night they go
                      without rinsing for about 10 hours. I use tap water, and have a
                      kitchen hose so the sprouts gets a pretty heavy shower. I have not
                      used hydrogen peroxide, would it be enough to just add it to the
                      soaking water or should I acctually spray it on them after I rinse?

                      And, this might sound like a silly question, but hydrogen peroxide is
                      not bad for us in anyway (on sprouts I mean) right...?

                      Thanks again,

                      Jessica

                    • potato@integrity.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 13, 2007