Raw almond butter & airline security

  • melanieburtis
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2006
      Just FYI -- I just found this out --

      Raw almond butter does not pass the new airline security regulations, even if it's in it's own
      jar & sealed (never opened). I think because of the oil on top. In addition, I read that if you do
      try to pass things that are banned through security, you can be fined (around $1,500) for
      hindering security. Last year the TSA issued about $66,000 in those types of fines. They
      didn't take my apples, though ;>)
    • Hank@MT
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2006
        What a bummer. We are going to Washington D.C. in December and I was
        going to take a bag of apples and some almond butter just for emergency
        food in the hotel room. Do you think its alright in checked luggage?
        Is anyone from the Washington area? Can you recommend any restaurants
        or health food stores in the area?

        Thanks.

        Tammy

        On Nov 4, 2006, at 11:04 AM, melanieburtis wrote:

        > Just FYI -- I just found this out --
        >
        > Raw almond butter does not pass the new airline security regulations,
        > even if it's in it's own
        > jar & sealed (never opened). I think because of the oil on top. In
        > addition, I read that if you do
        > try to pass things that are banned through security, you can be fined
        > (around $1,500) for
        > hindering security. Last year the TSA issued about $66,000 in those
        > types of fines. They
        > didn't take my apples, though ;>)
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Carol Ann Rowland
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2006
          Hi Tammy,

          Having flown recently I think probably almond butter in checked luggage is
          fine.

          It's just in the carryons - nothing that is of liquid or creamy substance,
          whether sealed or open, or even if purchased in the airport.

          I believe the only exceptions they are making is for baby formula.

          Take care,

          Carol Ann

          Watch My Spoon Bending Video!
          www.ZensightProcess.com/video.shtml