Re: [Raw Food] Question RE: flax seed

  • bearscats@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 11, 2002
      In a message dated 10/11/02 7:48:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      scsigurl2002@... writes:

      > Right now, I have quite a lot of flax seed in my kitchen, and don't
      > know what to do with it. Can I soax it, and make crackers or
      > something? I have a coffee grinder, a blender, and a food
      > processor...

      Throw it out, it's toxic (at least when raw).

      Seed - raw or cooked. The seed contains 30 - 40% oil, which comprises mainly
      linoleic and linolenic acids. The seed also contains cyanogenic glycosides
      (prussic acid). In small quantities these glycosides stimulate respiration
      and improve digestion, but in excess can cause respiratory failure and death.
      Cultivars low in these glycosides have been developed and large quantities of
      the seed would need to be eaten to achieve a harmful dose.

      And from http://www.coconut-info.com/facts_on_flax.htm

      Flaxseed meal can be added to any baked or cook dish—breads, muffins,
      pancakes, casseroles, etc. You should not eat it raw! Raw flaxseed contains a
      toxin called thio-cyanate—a cyanide-like compound. This toxin can be found in
      the blood after eating raw flaxseed. Cooking neutralizes this compound,
      making it harmless.
    • Connie Sunday
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 11, 2002
        Dehydrate it? I need special equipment for that, don't I?

        Connie
        http://www.geocities.com/conniesunday/
      • susi hall
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 11, 2002
          Wow, thanks bearscats, that is good to know. At least now I have an excuse for not putting it on my salads after being soaked, when it is all slimy.
          Susi
        • vy Dominic
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 11, 2002
            ye, a temperature controlled dehydrator or the sun
            Connie Sunday <scsigurl2002@...> wrote:Dehydrate it? I need special equipment for that, don't I?

            Connie
            http://www.geocities.com/conniesunday/

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Connie Sunday
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 11, 2002
              ohmygod, are you sure?? Dozens of people have instructed me to grind a bit of it up in a coffee grinder and put it on my food, approx. 1T/day...
            • Mary Ann Hogan
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 12, 2002
                Yeah!! What IS the consensus on raw/good vs. raw/bad on the flax seed controversy????

                Confused in Denver

                ohmygod, are you sure?? Dozens of people have instructed me to grind a bit of it up in a coffee grinder and put it on my food, approx. 1T/day...

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor