Re: [Raw Food] Re: need help with unknown greens

  • SV
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 31, 2006
      oh well, the color emphasis didn't come through, but I think you'll still get the message.........

      Shari

    • lightcondor@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
        I meant to say Kimchee not Bok Choi!

        Kimchee is an easy raw fermented dish using bok choi or Napa cabbage as I
        think it is sometimes called.
        You can find many recipes for it on line- just google it. Try to find one
        that uses apple instead of sugar.
        I think you could probably use any kind of oriental greens in it. I will
        look myself for a good kimchee recipe and if I find one I will post it!

        Terry

      • Susan M
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
          Does anyone eat fresh pumpkin? How?
          And I've always wondered - is the stringy stuff around the seeds is squashes and
          pumpkin good to eat?
          Does anyone have any ideas for pumpkin and dehydrators? (We used to make a
          pumpkin muffin.)

          Thanks!
          Susan
        • belly_dancer_one
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
            I eat fresh raw pumpkin all of the time; I have even taught pumpkin
            classes where all the food had pumpkin in them. Just an idea of what
            you can make

            Pumpkin pie
            Pumpkin parfait
            Pumpkin Soup
            Pumpkin Stew
            Dinner in a Pumpkin
            Pumpkin Candy
            Pumpkin bread
            I have even made raw Pumpkin Raisins Cookies
            Harvest Casserole has pumpkin in it
            These are just off the top of my head and most of the recipes are in
            my cook books.

            Nadhirrah

          • lightcondor@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
              I made a raw pumpkin pie a few years ago- it was good!
              I did not use a recipe, but combined several I found. I used raw pumpkin,
              dates, raw coconut, almonds and pecans. I may have used honey as a sweetener. I
              used only the meat- then put it through the cuisinart.
              The crust was dates and nuts, pressed into a pie plate.
              It tasted pretty good, though not like classic pumpkin pie! My non raw
              family tasted it politely, and I got to take the rest home!
              Terry

            • kandace_rae
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
                Hi Tammy,

                > 4. Can anyone offer any advice on Kale. I have tried massaging it (unsuccessfully) with
                olive oil. Should I use lemon juice too? I know it can be yummy and tender I have had it
                before. I just can't seem to get it there.

                I like to make an Avocado Kale Salad. The secret to making the kale tender in this recipe is to
                really mush the ingredients together (put everything in a big bowl, mush with hands). The
                more you mush, the more the kale takes on a slightly steamed, soft quality.

                Here's the recipe - I'd love to hear if you've come up with any others, as it is the only raw kale
                recipe I know at present.

                http://goneraw.com/recipes/show/6

                Cheers,
                Kandace
              • Margaret Gamez
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 3, 2006
                  Hi Tammi:
                  You can eat any of the greens...
                  If they are "soft", i.e., like lettuce, then just put them in a salad,
                  or use them to wrap up other things to eat like a burrito, or a taco,
                  or sushi.
                  If they are tougher, like kale or collards, you have to do a little
                  more work.
                  My first experiment was with collards:
                  I pulled each side of the leaf off or the central "spine" and I salted
                  the leaves and set them on a plate with a flat plate and a weight on
                  top for an hour (old zen recipe) Then I rinsed the salt off of each
                  "wilted" leaf and used them to roll "sushi"

                  Now, what I do with kale and collards, as well as "mystery greens", is:
                  peel the sides of the leaves off of the central stem.
                  pile @four - six leaf halves on top of one another and roll them,
                  shortwise, i.e. from the short bottom all the way to the top.
                  Then with a very sharp knife, cut each roll thinly -- to get a
                  "string-like" result-- this is called chiffonade.
                  I usually give the cuts another cut or two cross-wise, because I am a
                  lazy chewer.

                  Then put the collards or kale in a large bowl.
                  Add any dry seasonings (garlic, herbs, curry powder, pepper, etc.)
                  Add about 1/8 t salt (or to taste), or about a tablespoon of nama
                  shoyu, and a T of apple cider vinegar.

                  Toss thoroughly, then wash your hands (if you haven't already), and
                  get in there and "massage" until the mass is reduced by about half.
                  Then add enough olive oil and mix in to give a "glisten".

                  Set the greens aside for 1-2 hours or overnight.
                  Your result should look almost like cooked.
                  Margaret

                  Tammi wrote