Re: [Raw Food] Re: raw foods 101?

  • SV
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 14, 2006
      I have learned that certain nuts do not need to be soaked and are not as good when soaked due to their high oil content. Walnuts being one of these nuts. Brazil nuts and macadamia nuts are the others that do not need to be soaked.

      We always had walnuts in the shell growing up and it just takes one of those "V" shaped nut crackers to open them. And when you sit and open one nut at a time and eat them you do not have the tendency to overeat.

      Shari

    • Kristi Swanson
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 15, 2006
        Lindy,

        Cliff bars are not raw...

        I eat a clif bar every morning (did not realize it was raw! that is
        fantastic!)
      • lindy

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 15, 2006
            thank you :) I appreciate your input.
            I just take a knife and pry them open. I have found that I only eat
            a few at a time (maybe three or four) in the afternoon. I like a
            little "nut" boost. If things have salt on them I have a much harder
            stopping myself from eating them.

            take care
            Lindy
            On Oct 14, 2006, at 9:23 AM, SV wrote:

            I have learned that certain nuts do not need to be soaked and are not
            as good when soaked due to their high oil content. Walnuts being one
            of these nuts. Brazil nuts and macadamia nuts are the others that do
            not need to be soaked.

            We always had walnuts in the shell growing up and it just takes one
            of those "V" shaped nut crackers to open them. And when you sit and
            open one nut at a time and eat them you do not have the tendency to
            overeat.

            Shari

          • las_lala
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 15, 2006
              But Lara Bars are and Maya Bars mostly are! I eat these occasionally--
              I like the chocolate coconut Lara and the chocolate Maya.

              Laurie

              --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Kristi Swanson" <pixiechik@...> wrote:

              > Lindy,
              >
              > Cliff bars are not raw...
              >

              > I eat a clif bar every morning (did not realize it was raw! that is
              > fantastic!)

            • Margaret Gamez
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 16, 2006
                If you want to eat a bar...
                from the list recipe files, by way of Rose Calabro's Dining in the Raw

                High Energy Bars
                1 C barley (soaked two days)
                2 C soft wheat berries, sprouted 1 day
                3/4 C honey dates
                3 T raw honey
                1 t vanilla
                1 t cinnamon
                1 C walnuts, soaked 6-8 hours and chopped
                1/2 C almonds, soaked 12-48 hours, blanched and chopped

                Process barley, wheat, and dates through a Champion Juicer using the
                solid plate (or you could process them in a high-speed blender, or a
                food processor -- they just won't be as fine)
                Add honey, vanilla, cinnamon, walnuts, and almonds. Mix well. Form
                into bars, and place on teflex sheets on trays in the dehydrator.
                Dehydrate at 105 degrees for 4 hours, turn bars over, and rmove teflex
                sheets. Continue dehydrating for 4 - 6 hours, or until desired
                moisture is obtained.

                --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Kristi Swanson" <pixiechik@...> wrote:

                > Lindy,
                >
                > Cliff bars are not raw...
                >

                > I eat a clif bar every morning (did not realize it was raw! that is
                > fantastic!)

              • lindy
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 18, 2006
                  thank you Margaret :)
                  I am going to try this out.

                  Lindy
                  On Oct 16, 2006, at 5:22 PM, Margaret Gamez wrote:

                  If you want to eat a bar...
                  from the list recipe files, by way of Rose Calabro's Dining in the Raw

                  High Energy Bars
                  1 C barley (soaked two days)
                  2 C soft wheat berries, sprouted 1 day
                  3/4 C honey dates
                  3 T raw honey
                  1 t vanilla
                  1 t cinnamon
                  1 C walnuts, soaked 6-8 hours and chopped
                  1/2 C almonds, soaked 12-48 hours, blanched and chopped

                  Process barley, wheat, and dates through a Champion Juicer using the
                  solid plate (or you could process them in a high-speed blender, or a
                  food processor -- they just won't be as fine)
                  Add honey, vanilla, cinnamon, walnuts, and almonds. Mix well. Form
                  into bars, and place on teflex sheets on trays in the dehydrator.
                  Dehydrate at 105 degrees for 4 hours, turn bars over, and rmove teflex
                  sheets. Continue dehydrating for 4 - 6 hours, or until desired
                  moisture is obtained.

                  --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Kristi Swanson" <pixiechik@...> wrote:

                  > Lindy,
                  >
                  > Cliff bars are not raw...
                  >

                  > I eat a clif bar every morning (did not realize it was raw! that is
                  > fantastic!)

                • lindy
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 19, 2006
                    is there something I could substituet dates for?
                    they are MUCH too sweet for me :) in fact I find clif bars waaaay too
                    sweet. I do not eat the SAD, so I have "lost" my taste for overly
                    sweet things and have never really cared for dates.
                    thanks in advance :)
                    Lindy

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 20, 2006
                      If you wanted to make the bar, the dates hold it together. Raisins
                      would hold it together, too.
                      I guess, if you don't want to use the dates for the energy bar recipe,
                      you would call it granola.
                      You could make a cookie with the ingredients by dehydrating. I think
                      it would come out a bit crumbly.
                      You could make it with a cup of ground flax seed and dehydrate. It
                      would not be very sweet... more like a cracker.
                      Margaret