Re: [Raw Food] Ants

  • keemosabe
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2002
      Roberta,
      Try spraying a mixture of any "flavor" of Dr. Bronners liquid
      soap mixed with water. It's biodegradable, so you won't be
      adding poison to the ground water. The ratio is up to you. I
      used 50:50 on my poison ivy.

      It took reading half the letter before I realized this isn't a
      joke. Let's hope any poisons you might end up using are reserved
      for the bugs, not your mom and dad's sisters ;^)

      --- robertacentralfl <robertacentralfl@...> wrote:
      > My exterminator (who used less toxic chemicals) just sent
      > certified mail that he dropped me. Now the aunts read the
      > notice
      > and all came in..... as I type on my computer I get 2 or 3
      > bites
      > each time! It has rained about 3 to 6 inches daily for six
      > weeks
      > and we are having floods. Not me I made sure I bot on 'hight
      > ground for Florida'.
      >
      > I have no chemicals to use inside except vinegar and I sprayed
      >
      > them with that a couple of times. My little mini pin (dog)
      > was
      > great! She would eat them including the BIG red carpenter
      > aunts
      > with BIG bites. A sort of aunt-eating house pet but lost her.
      >
      > Maybe I'll adopt an aunt eater!!! Better yet, I need to ask
      > you all
      > what to do!!
      >
      > I do know that the place to start is outside. I have some
      > poison
      > ... sort of a meal to sprinkle outside. I bought it because
      > they
      > have established homes in my tropical plants from time to time
      >
      > and I had to get rid of them to load/display/sell my plant
      > business plants. I hate to use it, but I may be forced to
      > sprinkle
      > this poison around the foundation of the house.
      >
      > Lets see, boric acid is for roaches and humm my books are all
      >
      > in transient from one book case to boxes to another book case,
      >
      > Tansy pops into my mind, not sure... sooo will someone help me
      >
      > with a non poison solution for an organic gardener!! And my
      > friend in CA in the desert just sent an SOS - AUNTS there,
      > too!
      >
      > Roberta

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • muktabhimani
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 10, 2002
        I used Boric acid inside and outside the perimeter of my home to
        control ants and had great success with it. I don't think its
        effectiveness is limited to roaches. In fact, I hear roaches can
        survive a nuclear blast, so if boric acid works on roaches, i imagine
        it will help control any other type of bug!! Good luck!
      • carolj1974
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 10, 2002
          Hi Roberta,

          I don't know how widely available this stuff is, but there's a
          product called TARO that I used when I had ants pretty bad once. A
          big environmentalist friend of mine recommended it, so it must be
          less harmful to humans than most bugkillers. It's this little bottle
          of gooey clear stuff, and you put little puddles of it on pieces of
          cardboard around your house. The only thing is you have to let the
          ants feast on it, and feast they will...it's kind of gross seeing a
          bunch of ants and not squashing them. But you have to let them go
          because they will take the poison back with them to the nest, and
          kill those ants too. It takes about 2 weeks to work all the way, but
          at the end I had not one ant in my apartment.

          Carol