please help a beginning raw foodist

  • scart
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hi new friends,

      I am new to this group. Having struggled with my weight as well as
      an eating disorder for about 15 years, I need help.

      To give you a little background, I have been anorexic for the last 15
      years, as well as a binging food addict. This has been hard for me,
      and up until last week I was destined to roam the earth completing
      the same cycle of starving and binging forever....or atleast I
      thought. I have lost over 100 pounds 3 times since 1995. Its a
      vicous cycle. I am a cosmotologist, and for me, image is
      everything. I am also getting older....now 27 and always thinking
      about how to stay young.

      Last week while working (I have 2 jobs) I was bored and happened over
      to the college library, and picked up a book just by chance called
      fit for life. It was an introduction to eating raw foods only and
      the art of natural hygiene. I never thought a book could hold my
      attention such as it did, but I read that book from front to back by
      the end of the day. Mostly it talked about having a 70 percent high
      water content food diet.

      Everything about this way of life makes sense. Even tho It
      challenges everything I have ever known and grew up with. But even
      since reading this book and knowing all of these rules and good
      things, I am having extremely hard problems going all raw.

      First of all, I hate food, secondly I love food. If anyone can make
      sense of that, please let me know.

      I started by buying all kinds of fruits so that I wouldnt get bored.
      However, I started out ok, ending up by making big mistakes like
      going back to my old habits. I got a raging headache, which made me
      sick for 3 days where I just "gave up". Can someone tell me if there
      is a way to gradually get into this way of life without feeling
      guilty???

      I made a vegetable soup which was fabulous and it did have meat
      included. But I never eat the meat (its only for my family) Anyway
      was it ok to eat this, even tho I know the foods arent supposed to be
      cooked?

      Please can someone help me with this because I really dont want to go
      on forever the way things have been the last 15 years. And honestly,
      I am sick of physicians trying to shove depression meds down my
      throat. I want to do this the right way.

      Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me
      sincerely
      sue cartwright
      scart
    • Roberta W.
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
        Hi Sue,
        Congradulations!! You have made a great decision for
        good! However, from what I know about having been
        "anorexic for the last 15 years" tells me that you
        need expert help!! Doing it alone after a 15 year
        pattern would be extremely difficult especially since
        this is a life threatening disorder.

        I have been in Natural Hygiene for 25 or more years
        and a vegetarian for 25 years before that.

        You are certainly on track when you say: "I am sick of
        physicians trying to shove depression meds down my
        throat" My advice to you would be to contact a
        professional Hygienic Medical Doctor.

        Natural hygiene's magazine Health Science teaches more
        if you want to pursue these teachings. anhs@...
        or www.anhs.org The magazine lists their physicians
        or you could e-mail and ask for a book list and a
        physician list. Here is link I just searched out that
        has their physicians' listings:
        International Association of Hygienic Physicians �
        (IAHP) http://free.freespeech.org/nhn/iahp/

        Here is another link I just searched out:
        http://members.tripod.com/naturalnet/- Natural
        Hygiene Webrings---many many references and listings.

        I don't know what city you are in, but you may need to
        travel to get treatment. They may then be able to
        work with you long distance.

        Good health and good luck,
        Roberta
      • BJ
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
          Hi Sue,

          Welcome to the group, first of all.

          I think more reading would be very helpful for you...and there's a lot of
          raw food books these days. Joining some of the raw food mailing lists
          ranks right up there as well. You can always post a question and get a
          response fairly quickly.

          The Sunfood Diet System is a great book by one of the raw food gurus, David
          Wolfe. This is a great book, and easy to understand as well. Just go to
          Amazon and do a search.

          A couple of raw food cookbooks would probably also be in order, so that you
          don't just eat oranges, apples, and salads the rest of your days! They are
          fun to read, and some of them have a great deal of raw food diet
          information as well as recipes. Again, you can check that out at Amazon or
          any internet bookseller.

          Use a search engine, and do a search for "raw food" - you'll have enough
          reading material for months!

          As for eating the cooked veggie soup, sure you can eat it. You can eat
          whatever you want. You have to decide how you're going to approach this -
          I chose to go 100% right away for about 40 days. Then we went on
          vacation......you know the rest of the story. However, I'm back at it, and
          am doing it gradually this time. Right now, I'm at about 80% raw and
          feeling really good. So, in other words, if you want to eat one raw meal a
          day, that's fine. The raw food police aren't going to show up at your door
          or your shop and take you away! <g> Just do what feels right for you, and
          it will get easier and easier. One thing you'll notice once you're eating
          mostly raw is that the cooked just doesn't appeal to you like it used to!

          Who knows - maybe the nutrients in the raw food will finally and completely
          help you resolve those issues you've had in the past.

          Good luck - if you have questions, just ask!

          Jean

          >Message: 4
          > Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 17:21:28 -0000
          > From: "scart" <scart964@...>
          >Subject: please help a beginning raw foodist
          >
          >Hi new friends,
          >
          >I am new to this group. Having struggled with my weight as well as
          >an eating disorder for about 15 years, I need help.
          >
          >To give you a little background, I have been anorexic for the last 15
          >years, as well as a binging food addict. This has been hard for me,
          >and up until last week I was destined to roam the earth completing
          >the same cycle of starving and binging forever....or atleast I
          >thought. I have lost over 100 pounds 3 times since 1995. Its a
          >vicous cycle. I am a cosmotologist, and for me, image is
          >everything. I am also getting older....now 27 and always thinking
          >about how to stay young.
          >
          >Last week while working (I have 2 jobs) I was bored and happened over
          >to the college library, and picked up a book just by chance called
          >fit for life. It was an introduction to eating raw foods only and
          >the art of natural hygiene. I never thought a book could hold my
          >attention such as it did, but I read that book from front to back by
          >the end of the day. Mostly it talked about having a 70 percent high
          >water content food diet.
          >
          >Everything about this way of life makes sense. Even tho It
          >challenges everything I have ever known and grew up with. But even
          >since reading this book and knowing all of these rules and good
          >things, I am having extremely hard problems going all raw.
          >
          >First of all, I hate food, secondly I love food. If anyone can make
          >sense of that, please let me know.
          >
          >I started by buying all kinds of fruits so that I wouldnt get bored.
          >However, I started out ok, ending up by making big mistakes like
          >going back to my old habits. I got a raging headache, which made me
          >sick for 3 days where I just "gave up". Can someone tell me if there
          >is a way to gradually get into this way of life without feeling
          >guilty???
          >
          >I made a vegetable soup which was fabulous and it did have meat
          >included. But I never eat the meat (its only for my family) Anyway
          >was it ok to eat this, even tho I know the foods arent supposed to be
          >cooked?
        • meow meow
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
            hello Scart, I certainly don't want to preach to you, but please be careful with that anorexic/binging thing. If you are into a youthful image, there is nothing worst than looking underweight. It only makes a person look sick and older. Healthy eating is the key to looking well at any age. Just my opinion for what ever its worth.---Joyce
            scart wrote:Hi new friends,

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT