Re: [Raw Food] How do I get my candied walnuts to NOT be sticky?

  • SV
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      Well, the maple they used was most likely mixed with maple sugar as well as maple syrup. That gives it that maple flavor, but also makes it stickier with less moisture. Did that make sense?

      Here's a recipe that in my opinion is not raw, but it came from a respected raw chef and when I track down which one, I'll post their name:

      1 lb. raw organic almonds, soaked overnight and drained
      1/2 maple syrup powder or 1/4 cup maple syrup + 1/4 cup raw sugar
      1/4 - 1/2 tsp ground chili powder
      1 tsp sea salt

      Mix together and toss well to coat. Spread onto teflex lined dehdydrator sheet, dehydrate 2 -4 days until crunchy.

      I only make these for Christmas time celebration because they are not an optimal raw food. And the technique you want to use is after they have been dehydrating for a day or so, smoosh them together with your hands. I mean get in there and get messy with them, but don't crush the nuts. You need to move them around and get the mixture back on the nuts.

      Hope this helps - Shari