Re: [Raw Food] detoxification

  • Regina DeLuca
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 28, 2002
      I can tell you from my own experience.....where to begin?
      Headaches (migranes), joint aches especially in my jaw, neck and upper back, fatigue, coldness, swelling (edema), rashes and/or acne in areas around lymph. odor under arms, abdominal bloat, foggy and dizzy, burning eyes, kidney infection, yeast infection, etc, etc, etc.
      It definitely depends on how sick the body is to begin with.
      Hope this helps!
      Regina
      raveness2002us wrote:I am a new raw foodist and I have been reading a great deal about the
      process of detoxification once the body goed from cooked to raw. i am
      interested in hearing about first hand accounts of what to expect
      with detoxification. So if you can please share your exprience it
      would be greatly appreciated.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Peter Gardiner
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 28, 2002
        Ravenesse,

        I have read about a multitude of things that can happen but all
        I experienced was a few mouth sores and a touch of mouth biting.

        You may get no symptoms at all!

        Peter

        I am a new raw foodist and I have been reading a great deal about the
        process of detoxification once the body goed from cooked to raw. i am
        interested in hearing about first hand accounts of what to expect
        with detoxification. So if you can please share your exprience it
        would be greatly appreciated.

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • arthur nouveau
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 29, 2002
          --- raveness2002us <raveness2002us@...> wrote:

          I am a new raw foodist and I have been reading a great
          deal about the
          process of detoxification...

          I would suggest drinking wheatgrass juice (2-6 oz.
          daily) to detoxify your body before and during
          transition to a raw diet. In my case I changed
          literally overnight from a 'mock' vegetarian diet
          (heavy on refined flour, sugars, cooked oils,
          occasional fish) and experienced no adverse effects, I
          have drank wheatgrass regularly for 18 years, and not
          eaten meat for 28 years.

        • Jane Allard Gray
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 29, 2002
            --- arthur nouveau <arthurnouveau@...> wrote:
            > I would suggest drinking wheatgrass juice (2-6 oz.
            > daily) to detoxify your body before and during
            > transition to a raw diet. In my case I changed

            I just bought a juicer, but it uses centrifugal force
            so I can't juice wheatgrass. I can't afford a
            separate wheatgrass juicer at this time. Can the
            juice be purchased at a health food store, and is it
            beneficial (I know it cannot be as beneficial as
            fresh, but does it even come close)? If so, what are
            the best brands?

            Jane

            http://finance.yahoo.com
          • arthur nouveau
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 30, 2002
              --- Jane Allard Gray <ladyjane_in_colorado@...>
              wrote:

              I just bought a juicer, but it uses centrifugal force
              so I can't juice wheatgrass; I can't afford a
              separate wheatgrass juicer at this time. Can the
              juice be purchased at a health food store, and is it
              beneficial (I know it cannot be as beneficial as
              fresh, but does it even come close)?

              Unfortunately, there is no substitute for fresh
              wheatgrass juice, it begins to oxidize after 10+
              minutes, thus losing many of its beneficial qualities.
              I have tried the powder (as well as Green Magma and
              spirulina) and it does not provide the same
              nutritional energy; I haven't tried the frozen juice,
              there may be some value in it, certainly if you feel
              any effect you will know! It is a drag that you need a
              separate juicer for wheatgrass (unless you use the
              Green Machine), but the benefits from regular intake
              of the juice certainly offset any extra expenditure! I
              have met people who have healed serious illness with
              wheatgrass (and the living foods diet). It kept me
              (relatively) healthy through a dark period of
              otherwise poor nutrition and substance abuse. Speaking
              of which, coffee was the hardest drug for me to quit!
              It took 2 weeks of withdrawal, which I went through
              while on vacation. Main symptoms were headaches and
              irritability. I used to drink 2-3 cups of Turkish drip
              for breakfast, and then 3-4 expresso drinks during the
              day. I had no problem falling asleep at night (thanks
              to alcohol consumption!) but I would inevitably wake
              up at 4-5 AM. I switched to Inka and other grain
              beverages, but also continued drinking black tea until
              I got onto raw foods. Now it's green and herbal teas,
              with the occasional indulgence of chai with soy &
              honey...

            • BJ
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 31, 2002
                Sounds like you had a miserable time.

                The flip side to this: I did 40 days of raw food recently - I quit coffee,
                quit my beloved diet Pepsi, and quit eating one of the major food groups,
                chocolate. No, I did not do this gradually; I read about it, and then set
                a date to do it....followed raw food principles faithfully - not once did I
                lapse.

                The results: I had NO detox - none, nada, nyet, whatever. I never even
                had a twinge of a headache from giving up caffeine. (And we won't even go
                into how many years I drank coffee.) I would certainly think that if I
                were going to have any effects, I would have had them right away. At least
                that makes sense to me.

                If anyone is considering eating raw, but the detox heebie-jeebies have you
                worried, rest assured it's not as bad as you may think.

                Jump in and just do it.

                Jean

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 3, 2002
                  Thought this might be of interest to some of you. I
                  was planning to buy the book, Sunfood Diet, but came
                  across this on the author's website about his new
                  book. The site is:

                  http://www.sunfood.net/raw_secrets.html

                  "Because the author�s views have changed over the
                  years, this book contains information different than--
                  even contradictory to-- what he has written in his
                  first book, �The Sunfood Cuisine.� In all cases, the
                  views expressed here represent his latest thinking."

                  http://finance.yahoo.com
                • Jane Allard Gray
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 3, 2002
                    Sorry, I thought that David Wolfe wrote both _The
                    Sunfood Diet System_ and _The Sunfood Cuisine_. I
                    just discovered I was wrong, so I guess I will buy
                    Sunfood Diet after all :)

                    Jane

                    http://finance.yahoo.com