Re: [Raw Food] smoothie recepies

  • Belinda
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
      Thanks Shari and Tommie, I will experiment.

      Shari, do you thin your smoothies with some kind of fruit juice? I
      am thinking bananas would make it very thick.

      You know, I eat fruit and nuts every morning with some raw oats.
      Sounds like that is a bad mix. I like the nuts because they keep me
      from from getting hungry before lunch time.

      Belinda

      --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "SV" <shavig@...> wrote:

      > I just add whatever is green and whatever is a fruit and some water
      to make
      > it however I feel that day.
      >
      > The other day I walked into the backyard and picked some dandelion
      leaves
      > and added them to mango and banana with water. Wasn't my favorite,
      but it
      > was all I had available at the time.
      >
      > I've discovered that dandelion does not play well with others. The
      only
      > smoothie I've had that was good with dandelion is blueberry and
      lots of
      > them.
      >
      > Romaine and most anything is good. Spinach and anything is great
      and mixed
      > greens with anything is wonderful. When and if I do run into a bad
      mix I
      > can usually save it with a dash of agave nectar or a couple of
      dates.
      > That's usually if I have run out of fruit.
      >
      > I like mine a little thinner so I can drink them in the car and at
      my desk.
      > Sometimes they get too thick and it comes down the bottle neck in
      one big
      > glump! and it's all over.
      >
      > Shari

    • SV
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
        "Shari, do you thin your smoothies with some kind of fruit juice? I
        am thinking bananas would make it very thick."

        I thin them with water, if needed.

        Shari
      • Tommie
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
          Blend bananas by themselves and you'll be surprised how much moisture
          is in them. If you do use juice, make sure it's a type that will
          combine well with the rest of the ingredients and use the pulp in
          something so you won't lose any of the nutrients. Use speckled ripe
          bananas (no green). They're creamy.

          There's nothing wrong with having a mid-morning snack. If you eat nuts
          during the day, you'll slow your digestion and sap your energy. It's
          better to eat nuts at the last meal of the day. Otherwise, make sure
          you have at least four or five hours between meals.

          Oats can be contaminated with aflatoxin. Personally, I don't eat any
          grains except for sweet corn and I do that very seldom.

          Tommie
          http://www.rawburchard.blogspot.com