Re: [Raw Food] Re: frozen foods

  • Dobby the house elf
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2006
      Are you vacume sealing these? or just ziplocking? How long do they keep? Living in vegas I have a terrible time keeping produce fresh, seems I am always scrambling to use something as it seems to turn the min I get it home.

      jerushy1944 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      Fruit doesn't have to be blanched. I pick blueberries at a place
      where they haven't been sprayed so I freeze them without washing
      them. Sweet peppers (all colors), onions, and celery can all be
      frozen without blanching. There are probably other things out there
      that don't have to be, too. Some people freeze corn but I haven't
      been successful at that. I'm going to try it again this summer.

      Tommie
      http://www.rawburchard.blogspot.com

      --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Tiffany Beckwith" <tbeckwith@...>
      wrote:

      > What if any frozen veggie's/fruits are raw? I think most are
      parboiled, but
      > perhaps I am wrong. I use bananas that I freeze myself and
      cascadian farm
      > frozen strawberries. Are any of the organic frozen veggies
      uncooked?

      > What else can you freeze well without parcooking first? Like when
      summer
      > rolls around and you want to keep some of that wonderful produce
      raw, but
      > can't eat it fast enough. Any ideas to get set for the season?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Tiffany B

      Raw food diet Gabriel cousens Food enzymes David wolfe Vegetarian diet Vegetarian recipes

    • jerushy1944
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2006
        I put them in ziplock bags. They keep for months. I've never really
        done a study of it :) but they keep as long as I need them to. The
        veggies end up being used in recipes because they aren't yummy thawed
        after they are frozen.

        --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Dobby the house elf
        <dobeythehouseelf@...> wrote:

        > Are you vacume sealing these? or just ziplocking? How long do they
        keep? Living in vegas I have a terrible time keeping produce fresh,
        seems I am always scrambling to use something as it seems to turn the
        min I get it home.

        > jerushy1944 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > Fruit doesn't have to be blanched. I pick blueberries at a place
        > where they haven't been sprayed so I freeze them without washing
        > them. Sweet peppers (all colors), onions, and celery can all be
        > frozen without blanching. There are probably other things out there
        > that don't have to be, too. Some people freeze corn but I haven't
        > been successful at that. I'm going to try it again this summer.
        >
        > Tommie
        > http://www.rawburchard.blogspot.com
        >
        > --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Tiffany Beckwith" <tbeckwith@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > What if any frozen veggie's/fruits are raw? I think most are
        > parboiled, but
        > > perhaps I am wrong. I use bananas that I freeze myself and
        > cascadian farm
        > > frozen strawberries. Are any of the organic frozen veggies
        > uncooked?
        > >
        > > What else can you freeze well without parcooking first? Like
        when
        > summer
        > > rolls around and you want to keep some of that wonderful produce
        > raw, but
        > > can't eat it fast enough. Any ideas to get set for the season?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Tiffany B
      • Judy Cozza
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2006
          I have found a secret to keeping my produce really fresh for a long time.
          Long time - I mean for the whole week.
          Store them in a paper bag. Mushroom, tomatoes, bell peppers - you can't
          believe how long they stay so perfect.
          Judy

          On 5/2/06, Dobby the house elf <dobeythehouseelf@...> wrote:

          > Are you vacume sealing these? or just ziplocking? How long do they keep?
          > Living in vegas I have a terrible time keeping produce fresh, seems I am
          > always scrambling to use something as it seems to turn the min I get it
          > home.
          >

          > jerushy1944 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          > Fruit doesn't have to be blanched. I pick blueberries at a place
          > where they haven't been sprayed so I freeze them without washing
          > them. Sweet peppers (all colors), onions, and celery can all be
          > frozen without blanching. There are probably other things out there
          > that don't have to be, too. Some people freeze corn but I haven't
          > been successful at that. I'm going to try it again this summer.
          >
          > Tommie
          > http://www.rawburchard.blogspot.com
          >
          > --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Tiffany Beckwith" <tbeckwith@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > What if any frozen veggie's/fruits are raw? I think most are
          > parboiled, but
          > > perhaps I am wrong. I use bananas that I freeze myself and
          > cascadian farm
          > > frozen strawberries. Are any of the organic frozen veggies
          > uncooked?
          > >
          > > What else can you freeze well without parcooking first? Like when
          > summer
          > > rolls around and you want to keep some of that wonderful produce
          > raw, but
          > > can't eat it fast enough. Any ideas to get set for the season?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Tiffany B

          > Raw food diet Gabriel cousens Food enzymes David wolfe
          > Vegetarian diet Vegetarian recipes

          > ---------------------------------

        • shals_in_in
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2006
            Is the nutritional value altered when you use frozen foods?
          • MrandMrsM
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2006
              Some people freeze corn but I haven't been successful at that. I'm
              going to try it again this summer.

              > > Tommie
              > > http://www.rawburchard.blogspot.com

              Hi Tommie,
              I used to know someone who would take the whole corn cob, remove only
              the outer layers of husk, leaving maybe about 2 layers to protect the
              cob. She would freeze it that way and use it in the winter. Then
              she would finish husking it and put it into boiling water just like
              fresh corn on the cob. Or she would put it as is on the barbeque.
              It wasn't bad.

              For raw recipes, we could shave the kernels off the cob and use it in
              recipes that call for raw corn, like in an interesting tortilla
              recipe I saw.

              Then there is always the issue of whether corn should be used because
              of its high mold or fungus factor. Maybe that is just for people who
              are sick to be aware of though....
            • paddlerwoman@mac.com
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2006
                You loose some nutritional value but it does not kill the enzymes as
                cooking does. I seem to remember that you lose about 25% of the energy
                when you freeze and when you dehydrate but neither kills the enzymes.

                Tammy
                On May 2, 2006, at 8:22 PM, shals_in_in wrote:

                > Is the nutritional value altered when you use frozen foods?

                > Raw food diet
                > Gabriel cousens
                > Food enzymes
                > David wolfe
                > Vegetarian diet
                > Vegetarian recipes
                >
                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >
                > ▪  Visit your group "rawfood" on the web.

                > Service.

              • Tiffany
                Message 7 of 9 , May 8, 2006
                  MrandMrsM,
                  Before I turned vegetarian I used to buy Shelby Farms organic whole turkey for Thanksgiving. Customers order for pick up at local natural health food stores one or two days before Thanksgiving day. Their secret for fresh turkey was to butcher the day before shipment, so that they could store the turkey at an ALMOST freezing cold, BUT NOT FROZEN temp. and have the store owners maintain it that way until customer pick-up. When I picked it up there wasn't even a frost covering the outside packaging, nor was the turkey hard, but tender yet so cold I didn't want to hold it with my hands.
                  So I'm thinking the same thing for long-term fruit and veggie storage - turn down the refridgerator temperature setting to as low as possible and store leafy greens on the top shelf in protective packaging so that they don't get frost-bitten.
                  As an added perservative plus, rinse them in cold filtered water twice a week to keep anything microbial from growing on them and to nourish them.
                  -Tiffany