Re: [Raw Food] John Robbins comments on Soy

  • Heather Russell
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 30, 2006
      This is VERY interesting to me because my daughter has been losing her hair for the past 2 years. We have been SAD for most of their lives and vegetarian intermittently. I am now trying to incorporate raw foods into our diet. At first I went to a chiropracter and she did a hair analysis. Told me that soy was poison and to eat low carb organic meat. Well, my daughter is still loosing her hair. Obviously the meat was not the cure all. She also gave Hannaha supplements that she was deficient in. From this perspective a mostly or raw diet only makes sense. Why take the supplements when she can get the real deal? Her traditional doctors say that nutrition has nothing to do with her hair loss. If Alopecia Areata is an autoimmune disease, how can it be denied that nutrition plays a part in a healty immune system? It's all very maddening but I am glad I found this group because I have felt much better since cleaning up my diet. I am still not 100% yet but I can tell
      you that my nails don't chip anymore and they are alot stronger!
      Heather

      Judy Cozza <judycozza@...> wrote:
      Leah - I enjoyed and LOVED this article you quoted from by John Robbins.

      I have known for years that soy is very important - more important than our
      country
      ever told us about. We fed it to the cows in emormous amounts instead of
      pushing
      it for us Americans to eat. We are the ones that GROW IT and send it to
      China and
      other countries overseas! What do you think about that!!!!! We NEVER ATE
      IT OVER HERE.

      Our country advocates and pushes foods that make people sick. That's really
      so sad.

      I went to Immunologist's nutrition class for 6 years and learned that whole
      foods are the most important to feed our bodies with - better than anything
      isolated - even oranged juice
      is isolated unless you keep all the fiber together with the orange. Dr.
      Chen is a person
      who studies food - plants and herbs (is anything else really food?) under
      the microscope and
      sees what they actually do to your cells. Building up our immune system is
      one of the most important reasons we eat - so that our OWN bodies can fight
      all the junk that is in the air and all around us. SOY IS VERY POWERFUL for
      our whole health. She said if you knew what she knew - you would eat it
      everyday. You only need a small amount like 1/4 of a cup. She doesn't
      advocate tofu or anything that is partially soy. WHOLE FOODS heals and
      strengthens our bodies.

      blah blah blah.
      I am not trying to convince anyone here.
      I don't want to get in any argument.
      I don't even care to even talk about soy anymore.
      I DID enjoy the article that Leah shared. Yahoo big time.
      Eating is everyone's choice.
      I love my free agency.
      Judy

      On 4/28/06, Leah Morrison wrote:

> [...]
      > Okinawans with the lowest frequency in the world. There's also the fact
      > that elder Okinawans have much stronger bones than we do, and less than half
      > the hip fractures that we do. The authors of the Okinawa Centenarian Study
      > attribute the increased bone strength and health in Okinawa to soy
      > consumption. Many other studies confirm the connection between increased soy
      > consumption and reduced osteoporosis. I am very sorry that Mothering
      > printed the article by
      > Kaayla Daniels because it is so full of bias and fallacies. Its
      > authoritative tone may sway some people to unnecessarily avoid soy, and that
      > would be a shame. For most people, consumption of the levels of whole soy
      > foods recommended by authors like Dr. Andrew Weil and Dr. Christiane
      > Northrup, which correspond to the levels eaten by the Okinawans, are not
      > only safe, but tremendously helpful to disease prevention and the creation
      > of vibrant and resilient wellness. Of course if you are allergic to any
      > food, then you shouldn't eat it. But dairy products, for which soy products
      > are often substituted, are more likely to produce allergic reactions than
      > soy. And by the way…
      > Cow's milk provides more than nine times as much saturated fat as soy
      > beverages, so is far more likely to contribute to heart disease.
      > Soy beverages provide more than 10 times as much essential fatty acids
      > as cow's milk, and so provide a healthier quality of fat.
      > Soy beverages are cholesterol-free, while cow's milk contains 34 mg of
      > cholesterol per cup, which again means that cow's milk is far worse for your
      > heart and cardiovascular system.
      > Soy beverages lower both total and LDL ("bad") cholesterol levels,
      > while cow's milk raises both total and LDL cholesterol levels, providing yet
      > more reasons soymilk is better for your health.
      > Soy beverages contain numerous protective phytochemicals that may
      > protect against chronic diseases such as heart disease and osteoporosis.
      > Cow's milk contains no phytochemicals.
      > Men who consume one to two servings of soymilk per day are 70 percent
      > less likely to develop prostate cancer than men who don't.
      > I do not understand why Mothering would allow its pages to be used for
      > such a misleading article. I hope that you allow more balanced voices
      > substantial space in the future to undo the damage you've done. Mothering's
      > readers expect and deserve sane and helpful articles, especially about
      > subjects like nutrition. They don't need more fear mongering. We've got
      > quite enough of that in our society today. Readers who want further
      > information about health and longevity in Okinawa can see the excellent book
      > The Okinawa Program. And readers who want to see a balanced response to
      > many of the specific allegations made against soy can visit:
      > http://www.foodrevolution.org/what_about_soy.htm John Robbins Author,
      > Diet For A New America, May All Be Fed, and The Food Revolution

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Tom Spontelli
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3 9:21 AM
        Thanks for posting the John Robbins article. Before my introduction to RAW,
        I had a long love affair with soybeans. However, everyone in the RAW
        community shudders at the mention of the word 'soy'. Monsanto has tainted
        much of the world's soy supply with their genetically modified "Round-Up
        Ready Soy." (This means that farmers can plant this genetically Frankenstein
        plant in their fields and then douse all of their fields with the herbicide
        ROUND-UP repeatedly, killing all living things but their "Round-Up Ready
        Soy." Studies by the British Allergy Foundation found that since this
        version of soy has been introduced into the food system, allergies to soy
        have shot up dramatically.) However, if you buy only non-GMO organic soy
        products, you should be able to drastically reduce these issues.

        There are a lot of rumours out there and I was wondering if anyone else had
        any good info about soy. I have heard people say that soybeans should not be
        eaten raw. However, I love raw edamame. Fresh yummy juicy beans! But all of
        my raw foodist friends freak when I tell them that I found some raw organic
        non-GMO fresh soy beans and am going to chow down.

        The most frequent issue I here is that the soy proteins are too close to
        estrogen causing an increase cancer risk, but I have never heard that from a
        reputable source. I think Monsanto's actions are criminal and the
        cross-fertilization issue is a serious threat to the global supply. But
        supporting positively the non-GMO strains can help fight this.

        Does anyone know if there are any GENUINE health issues with eating raw
        organic non-GMO soy beans?

        Does anyone have any favorite preparations?

        Does anyone sprout or are fresh soft beans with the skins removed okay for
        removing the inhibitors?

        We have twelve acres of farm and I am thinking about putting in a field of
        good non-GMO soy so that we can have yummy fresh beans all the time.

        Anyone know why not?

        Tom Spontelli
        Instructor
        Ann Wigmore Natural Health Institute

        Aguada PR 00602 USA

        www.AnnWigmore.org

        Two week Living Foods Lifestyle Certification Program on tropical beach at
        one of the world's most respected Lifing Foods Institutes.

      • Bridgitte
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3 1:20 PM
          The estrogen in soy can be a big issue for me. I get heavy, painful,
          long (like 7 or 8 days)periods. I used to when i ate it anyhow. I
          have a friend who had a severe case of endomitriosis and was told not
          to eat it. Her condition improved when she stopped.

          That's the only drawback I know about for sure, and that's mostly
          from personal experience.

          Bridgitte

          --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Tom Spontelli <outreach@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for posting the John Robbins article. Before my introduction
          to RAW,
          > I had a long love affair with soybeans. However, everyone in the RAW
          > community shudders at the mention of the word 'soy'. Monsanto has
          tainted
          > much of the world's soy supply with their genetically
          modified "Round-Up
          > Ready Soy." (This means that farmers can plant this genetically
          Frankenstein
          > plant in their fields and then douse all of their fields with the
          herbicide
          > ROUND-UP repeatedly, killing all living things but their "Round-Up
          Ready
          > Soy." Studies by the British Allergy Foundation found that since
          this
          > version of soy has been introduced into the food system, allergies
          to soy
          > have shot up dramatically.) However, if you buy only non-GMO
          organic soy
          > products, you should be able to drastically reduce these issues.
          >
          > There are a lot of rumours out there and I was wondering if anyone
          else had
          > any good info about soy. I have heard people say that soybeans
          should not be
          > eaten raw. However, I love raw edamame. Fresh yummy juicy beans!
          But all of
          > my raw foodist friends freak when I tell them that I found some raw
          organic
          > non-GMO fresh soy beans and am going to chow down.
          >
          > The most frequent issue I here is that the soy proteins are too
          close to
          > estrogen causing an increase cancer risk, but I have never heard
          that from a
          > reputable source. I think Monsanto's actions are criminal and the
          > cross-fertilization issue is a serious threat to the global supply.
          But
          > supporting positively the non-GMO strains can help fight this.
          >
          > Does anyone know if there are any GENUINE health issues with eating
          raw
          > organic non-GMO soy beans?
          >
          > Does anyone have any favorite preparations?
          >
          > Does anyone sprout or are fresh soft beans with the skins removed
          okay for
          > removing the inhibitors?
          >
          > We have twelve acres of farm and I am thinking about putting in a
          field of
          > good non-GMO soy so that we can have yummy fresh beans all the time.
          >
          > Anyone know why not?

          > Tom Spontelli
          > Instructor
          > Ann Wigmore Natural Health Institute
          >
          > Aguada PR 00602 USA
          >
          > www.AnnWigmore.org
          >
          > Two week Living Foods Lifestyle Certification Program on tropical
          beach at
          > one of the world's most respected Lifing Foods Institutes.

        • jerushy1944
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3 4:30 PM
            My experience is that it caused extreme fatigue because it slows the
            metabolism. It also caused weight gain. Several decades ago, farmers
            started feeding soybeans to cows to fatten them up. I don't need that
            so I stay as far away from soy as possible. I have been eating raw for
            a little more than 10 months. I have been off soy for, probably, four
            years.

            From the days of making tofu, I learned that soybeans must be cooked
            to destroy the toxins that are present in raw ones. That might be
            something to consider when you have the urge to eat them without
            cooking.

            Tommie
            http://www.rawburchard.blogspot.com

            --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Bridgitte" <syndactylcat@...> wrote:

            > The estrogen in soy can be a big issue for me. I get heavy,
            painful,
            > long (like 7 or 8 days)periods. I used to when i ate it anyhow. I
            > have a friend who had a severe case of endomitriosis and was told
            not
            > to eat it. Her condition improved when she stopped.
            >
            > That's the only drawback I know about for sure, and that's mostly
            > from personal experience.
            >
            > Bridgitte
            >

            > --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Tom Spontelli <outreach@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks for posting the John Robbins article. Before my
            introduction
            > to RAW,
            > > I had a long love affair with soybeans. However, everyone in the
            RAW
            > > community shudders at the mention of the word 'soy'.
          • Tiffany
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3 5:28 PM
              Dear Tom and Bridgitte,
              I'm glad Bridgitte and Tom shed light on this aspect of soy - the GMO standards at least, because I once wondered myself why it would be so allergenic.
              My grandmother was the first to enlighten me on abstaining from milk because of my psoriasis and excema 18 years ago. She's not the health fanatic by far, but told me to try not drinking only milk for 3 months to see if it went away...it did, and 13 years later I tried to drink a tall glass of nonfat milk again because I heard of the health craze concerning milk's calcium and weight loss boosting. Well, my skin disruptions came back with a vengeance.
              Since then she's warned me about soy, as her doctor screened her for allergies. So I did the research (before joining this group) and found out that it is an allergen for most people >>>because it has been modified to yield enormously large, cheap alternative protein supplies for the world<<<.
              But as far as unadultrated soy beans attest, I don't know. Since 2 years ago I have avoided soy altogether, like Tommie stated her 4 years, and I don't care to go back to soy because there are plenty of alternative bean and protein sources that I can enjoy and benefit healthfully from.
              I know that soaking (sprouting) uninhibits the enzymes needed for most seeds' dormancy periods, making them suitable for consumption, but I still haven't found any information relating this to the soy bean.
              -Tiffany

              Message 6 of 14 , May 3 9:20 PM
                Message 7 of 14 , May 4 4:18 AM
                  Tom, it's obvious to me that you want to eat soybeans and just as
                  obvious that I don't. Once again, there is no law against eating them
                  in any form you want to. You can have mine, too! You asked the
                  question, I answered. You choose your way, I choose mine. I eat the
                  foods that don't have to be altered to be nutritious.

                  Tommie
                  http://www.rawburchard.blogspot.com

                  --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Tom Spontelli <outreach@...> wrote:

                  Behalf Of

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 4 10:23 AM
                    Thanks for posting this information, Tom.
                    I'd like to recommend http://www.sproutpeople.com/ in regards to this subject; they sell every possible bean, legume, seed and nut for sprouting, 100% organic. They also educate to the same degree, based on the information Tom provided, leaving nothing to wonder about.
                    -Tiffany Lohr