Dr. Ornish Diet

  • petergardiner@easynet.be
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2002
      Have just been reading about Dr. Ornish's diet. He claims great success
      in curing heart disease.

      To cut to the chase he says that amongst other items the following
      should
      be avoided.

      Avocados

      Olives

      Nuts & seeds.

      That fairly knocks a corner off David Wolfe's triangle. It also takes a
      slice out of my diet. Are there any enlightened thoughts out there on
      this subject?

      Peter Gardiner
    • Regina DeLuca
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2002
        It's a shame! These are wonderfully healing foods.
        As a personal trainer I'm often asked advice regarding
        nutrition. I always encourage people to eat from the
        earth, specifically promoting avocados and raw nuts.
        The reaction I get is typically "aren't those high in
        fat?" or "I read not to eat these foods because they
        are bad for you.", of which I reply "yes" and "don't
        listen to everything you read". I continue with their
        benefits. This Dr. is setting a bad example for others
        who want to learn about health. I wonder what
        research he has to prove this recommendation?

        Regina

        --- petergardiner@... wrote:
        > Have just been reading about Dr. Ornish's diet. He
        > claims great success
        > in curing heart disease.
        >
        > To cut to the chase he says that amongst other items
        > the following
        > should
        > be avoided.
        >
        > Avocados
        >
        > Olives
        >
        > Nuts & seeds.
        >

        > That fairly knocks a corner off David Wolfe's
        > triangle. It also takes a
        > slice out of my diet. Are there any enlightened
        > thoughts out there on
        > this subject?
        >
        > Peter Gardiner

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • realityofimagination
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2002
          I have to agree with Regina. Dr. Ornish does not recommend a raw diet
          anyway. His program is quite old.

          I bet he recommends foods like bread and chips that have just been
          proven to have high levels of carcinogens. If he recommends cooked
          foods I don't take his information seriously. It may be helpful to
          people with heart disease, but couldn't compare to healthy a raw diet
          is.

          Cooked fats are the problem not raw fats. We need fat in our diets.
          Where does he suppose a raw foodist will get their fat? Avocados and
          nuts are a great source for these things.

          Does Dr. Ornish distinguish between raw fats versus cooked fats?

          Just an interesting aside for you Seinfeld Fans. There is one episode
          of Seifeld where Kramer becomes a raw foodist. He doesn't say
          anything with the term raw. Instead he said he was only eating Fresh
          foods. He threw out his oven I think. He was eating fruits and even
          meats all Fresh or uncooked.

          He was always going to Jerry's apartment to get more food because his
          new waitress girlfriend was constantly demanding food and I guess he
          didn't have the stuff to please her.

          Roger Haeske
          http://www.superbeing.com

          --- In rawfood@y..., Regina DeLuca <regdeluca@y...> wrote:
          > It's a shame! These are wonderfully healing foods.
          > As a personal trainer I'm often asked advice regarding
          > nutrition. I always encourage people to eat from the
          > earth, specifically promoting avocados and raw nuts.
          > The reaction I get is typically "aren't those high in
          > fat?" or "I read not to eat these foods because they
          > are bad for you.", of which I reply "yes" and "don't
          > listen to everything you read". I continue with their
          > benefits. This Dr. is setting a bad example for others
          > who want to learn about health. I wonder what
          > research he has to prove this recommendation?
          >
          > Regina
          >
          > --- petergardiner@e... wrote:
          > > Have just been reading about Dr. Ornish's diet. He
          > > claims great success
          > > in curing heart disease.
          > >
          > > To cut to the chase he says that amongst other items
          > > the following
          > > should
          > > be avoided.
          > >
          > > Avocados
          > >
          > > Olives
          > >
          > > Nuts & seeds.
          > >

          > > That fairly knocks a corner off David Wolfe's
          > > triangle. It also takes a
          > > slice out of my diet. Are there any enlightened
          > > thoughts out there on
          > > this subject?
          > >
          > > Peter Gardiner

          > http://health.yahoo.com
        • friday_schild
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2002
            I am new to this group,but have been rawfooding since April 12th,and
            i also agree that Dr.Ornish is not a raw foodist.

            As to the fats in the avocados and nuts,I was hesitant at first to
            use them alot,because I had been on a weight loss program,and didn't
            want to put back the pounds.But I have lost at least 12 lbs since I
            started raw fooding,and I am eating avocados every day,I limit it to
            one,and I also use olive oil,which is also high in fat and
            calories,but I don't worry about that fat either,because I read
            recently,I believe from Dr.Weil or REal Age,that olive oil is known
            to reduce bad cholesterol.I also like nuts,especially cashews.I grind
            them in my coffee grinder,and mix them in recipes,and sprinkle it on
            salads.I don't like to eat nuts whole,because I was told that I had
            absorbtion problems in my intestines.Sometimes nuts can get caught in
            the intestinal walls and cause alot of trouble with bowels.But that
            is just me,and not telling anyone how they should eat their nuts. :-)

          • petergardiner@easynet.be
            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2002
              As Davis Wolfe says - Cashew nuts are heat treated.
              Sorry but they ain't raw. David fell into the same
              delusion.

              PG

> [...]

              > > are bad for you.", of which I reply "yes" and "don't
              > > listen to everything you read". I continue with their
              > > benefits. This Dr. is setting a bad example for others
              > > who want to learn about health. I wonder what
              > > research he has to prove this recommendation?
              > >
              > > Regina
              > >
              > > --- petergardiner@e... wrote:
              > > > Have just been reading about Dr. Ornish's diet. He claims great
              > > > success in curing heart disease.
              > > >
              > > > To cut to the chase he says that amongst other items
              > > > the following
              > > > should
              > > > be avoided.
              > > >
              > > > Avocados
              > > >
              > > > Olives
              > > >
              > > > Nuts & seeds.
              > > >

              > > > That fairly knocks a corner off David Wolfe's
              > > > triangle. It also takes a
              > > > slice out of my diet. Are there any enlightened

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • petergardiner@easynet.be
              Message 6 of 9 , May 1, 2002
                Thanks for the feedback all.

                My Source for Dr. Ornish's Diet was Webmd. When I looked at
                his diet seriously last year, I read of cooked elements and
                noted his doctrinaire attitude; as in follow me rigidly
                or suffer the consequences. The slightest deviation will
                be catastrophic. You have to suffer to get the cure. Such
                sounded a bit medieval to me. Yesterday I read that he achieves
                a 10% improvement in blood circulation after five years. I should
                think that that is an average figure and that there are those
                who do even better on his regime.

                Dare I say that I am doing more like 50% better on raw food
                in one year? However in deference to the learned doctor, who
                should most certainly be doctrinaire, I will be keeping the
                fat lower for a bit to see whether it gives me yet another lift.
                Also I will be cutting alcohol to frugal limits in the hope that
                that also helps.

                On nuts, I suppose like many others, some months ago, I heard
                Dr. Weil say on Larry King Live that olive oil and walnuts taken
                together were cholesterol lowering. That he said was new and a
                scientific truth. Further on this subject, I take the view that
                nut should be soaked which will make them a whole lot more
                digestible and avoid the problems of sticking on the walls
                of the digestive tract. Munching them to the end should further help.

                I sometimes eat brazil nuts with the notion that I will thereby be
                finding almost the only natural source of selenium around. After
                a day of soaking they are hardly changed. Should I be soaking them
                for much longer?

                Peter

                Message 7 of 9 , May 1, 2002
                  Hi Peter,

                  Just a quick note. Brazil nuts probably aren't raw, even if they say
                  so. They are like cashews that are very difficult to get out of their
                  shells without heating. At least that is what I have read.

                  Roger Haeske
                  http://www.superbeing.com

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2002
                    Thanks Roger

                    That certainly explains why they do not soften up!

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 2, 2002
                      I agree about soaking the nuts. I usually soak
                      almonds, hazelnuts and/or pecans. I'm not a brazil
                      nut fan, so I'm not sure about soaking them longer. I
                      would guess that may be the case since they are
                      bigger. Figure the consistency of the other nuts
                      after they've been soaked.

                      Regina