Re: [Raw Food] Growing wheatgrass

  • minnie9090
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
      --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Bill Schoolcraft <Bill@...> wrote:
      > As for waiting for it to grow again, I never have. I re-soak and
      > plant.

      Thanks for the info. :-)

      So do I need to get new soil too or just dig up the roots and use the
      same soil or what? Thanks again.

      Minnie
    • minnie9090
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
        --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Bill Schoolcraft <Bill@...> wrote:
        > There is a "magic" time in the life of a blade of wheatgrass, a time
        > when the blade is "bursting" with all the goodies we want and then
        > some...

        Oh yeah I was also wondering "about" how many ounces can I get out of a
        11X21 tray if the grass is about 7 inches tall?

        Minnie
      • Bill Schoolcraft
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006
          At Thu, 2 Mar 2006 it looks like minnie9090 composed:

          > --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Bill Schoolcraft <Bill@...> wrote:
          > > As for waiting for it to grow again, I never have. I re-soak and
          > > plant.
          >
          > Thanks for the info. :-)
          >
          > So do I need to get new soil too or just dig up the roots and use the
          > same soil or what? Thanks again.

          You just need an inch minimum. For my "first" water I used water
          with 'liquid kelp' in it, the water afterwards, just plain.

          Not too much liquid kelp, just a splash.

          I've also used no liquid kelp too, grass seems a bit sweeter.

          I'm seen wheat grass grown with no soil and just a 1/2" of soil.
          The soil in those cases are just the 'medium' to carry the nutrients
          similar to hydroponics. I'm a bit old fashioned and use about
          1-1/2" of soil, just buy a bag of potting soil, organic preferably
          or you will smell manure if it gets hot. Been there, done that.

          --
          Bill Schoolcraft <> http://wiliweld.com

          "If your life was full of nothing but
          sunshine, you would just be a desert."
        • Bill Schoolcraft
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006
            At Thu, 2 Mar 2006 it looks like minnie9090 composed:

            > --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Bill Schoolcraft <Bill@...> wrote:
            > > There is a "magic" time in the life of a blade of wheatgrass, a time
            > > when the blade is "bursting" with all the goodies we want and then
            > > some...
            >
            > Oh yeah I was also wondering "about" how many ounces can I get out of a
            > 11X21 tray if the grass is about 7 inches tall?

            Good question.

            I have had professional gardeners drop their jaws when I've asked
            them how to get "more juice per blade" of grass. They only go for
            "green blades of grass" not the juice part.

            It's weird, when I slightly "starve" the grass, and I say
            "slightly", the juice seems to stay in the blade for survival. When
            I overwater, roots shoot downward and out the bottom of the tray,
            blades grow tall, not the expected amount of juice. Go figure.

            My trays are about 16" square and I probably get 20+ ounces out of
            them here on the foggy coast of San Francisco.

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006
              > At Thu, 2 Mar 2006 it looks like minnie9090 composed:
              > So do I need to get new soil too or just dig up the roots and use the
              same soil or what? Thanks again.

              --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Bill Schoolcraft <Bill@...> wrote:
              > You just need an inch minimum. For my "first" water I used water
              > with 'liquid kelp' in it, the water afterwards, just plain.

              What I mean is after my first crop of wheatgrass do I use that used-
              wheatgrass-soil again or do I dump the used-wheatgrass-soil? If I use
              the soil again do I dig out the wheatgrass roots or use it as a mulch?

              Thanks for all your helpful tips and thanks so much for your time!! :-)

              Minnie
            • Bill Schoolcraft
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006
                At Fri, 3 Mar 2006 it looks like minnie9090 composed:

                > > At Thu, 2 Mar 2006 it looks like minnie9090 composed:
                > > So do I need to get new soil too or just dig up the roots and use the
                > same soil or what? Thanks again.
                >
                > --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Bill Schoolcraft <Bill@...> wrote:
                > > You just need an inch minimum. For my "first" water I used water
                > > with 'liquid kelp' in it, the water afterwards, just plain.
                >
                > What I mean is after my first crop of wheatgrass do I use that used-
                > wheatgrass-soil again or do I dump the used-wheatgrass-soil? If I use
                > the soil again do I dig out the wheatgrass roots or use it as a mulch?
                >
                > Thanks for all your helpful tips and thanks so much for your time!! :-)
                >
                > Minnie

                Ok..., here goes.

                (A) Dump the 'mat' of roots.

                (B) I have found it too thick with roots to use it for mulch. Your
                results may differ.

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006
                  > > --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Bill Schoolcraft <Bill@> wrote:
                  > (A) Dump the 'mat' of roots.

                  Okay thanks for your help. So where do you buy your wheat berries? :-)

                  Minnie
                • Kirk
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
                    Minnie
                    Straight in your rapid compost bin. One layer of kitchen scaps one layer of wheatgrass mats and then repeat. Looooovely compost in three months if the temperature is right

                    Kirk

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
                      At Fri, 3 Mar 2006 it looks like minnie9090 composed:

                      > > > --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Bill Schoolcraft <Bill@> wrote:
                      > > (A) Dump the 'mat' of roots.
                      >
                      > Okay thanks for your help. So where do you buy your wheat berries? :-)

                      I buy them locally in san francisco at rainbow foods.

                      what you will be looking for are "hard red wheat berries"