Re: [Raw Food] sauerkraut - Is it good for you?

  • paulb@alivefoods.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
      no wine, no starter
      nature is the starter
      just cabbage - beat up with a little water
      some people use a little salt - and this is ok (himalayan or cea salt best)
      make sure all utensils are VERY clean
      when u get into fermenting it is quite a trip, you can then ferment nuts, fruits and other things - there are some books around, only have a couple of recipes in my living foods book that are fermented, but when you know the principal you can expand to anything
      enjoy!
      Paul
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 11, 2005
        hi all..

        had stopped posting here for a while...noticed that list membership
        may have changed....grand!

        re: kraut:

        it's fermented - and we don't need it....it's better than SAD, and far
        from optimal.

        best,

        Bob

        --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "audsquad" <audsquad@y...> wrote:

        > --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Miss Denise" <cooljazzcafe@e...> wrote:
        > >
        > > If you purchase the canned sauerkraut off the shelf it can be very
        acidic
        > > and salty.
        >
        > And, from "Making Sauerkraut" by Kaufmann and Schoneck:
        >
        > "Storebought sauerkraut in tins is not raw; it is heated and
        pastuerized and has lost most
        > vitamin C content and enzymes. Most sauerkraut in glass jars is also
        pasteurized, unless the
        > label says otherwise." (p. 7)
        >
        > (Thus, I am trying the homemade route....)
        >
        > Audie

      • audsquad
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 11, 2005
          What does "SAD" stand for?

          Thanks.

          And wouldn't the abundant probiotics in kraut be good for someone with a history of internal
          flora imbalance and possible yeast overgrowth?

          Thanks again.

          --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Farrell" <rjf2@t...> wrote:

          > re: kraut:
          >
          > it's fermented - and we don't need it....it's better than SAD, and far
          > from optimal.
        • Miss Denise
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 13, 2005
            SAD - Standard American Diet

            Denise

            On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 04:10:28 -0000, audsquad wrote
            > What does "SAD" stand for?
            >
            > Thanks.

          • kmdaven
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 14, 2005
              --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Farrell" <rjf2@t...> wrote:

              > hi all..
              >
              > had stopped posting here for a while...noticed that list membership
              > may have changed....grand!
              >
              > re: kraut:
              >
              > it's fermented - and we don't need it....

              why? according to whom? what proof do you have of this?

              >> it's better than SAD, and far
              > from optimal.

              again-- why?? according to whom? what proof do you have? any
              personal experiences? Any scientific evidence of it being non-
              optimal? any reasoning whatsoever?

              thanks!