Re: gelatin

  • nin_warrior
    Message 1 of 1852 , Feb 28, 2002
      Hey,<br>Just to set the record straight as to
      what exactly gelatin is, I thought I'd post the
      definition from "Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives". A
      very good book to have around as a resource. <br>
      "Gelatin is a protein obtained by boiling skin, tendons,
      ligaments, or bones with water. It is colorless or slightly
      yellow, tasteless, and absorbs five to ten percent its
      weight of cold water."<br> I always thought it was made
      from horses' hooves also until I read this. So I guess
      that it doesn't really matter which animal the
      ingredients come from. But there is probably one that is used
      more than the others in its manufacturing...... I am
      still not eating it though, heh, but you can use agar
      agar in its place if you are really hard up for a
      replacement. However, since I started eating RAW it has not
      been a concern. hope this has been
      informative.<br>:)<br>Jeff
      Message 1852 of 1852 , Feb 2, 2007