Re: sun dried tomatoes

  • Sharie
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 31, 2005
      Thanks Vicki!

      --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "vickil11" <lake@t...> wrote:
      > Hi Sharie,
      >
      > I've dried tomatoes both ways. In the dehydrator, I put round
      slices
      > on the trays. That way when the slices are lying flat all the
      trays
      > can be used and they dry faster because lots of surface area is
      exposed.

      > In the sun you don't have to worry about how much electricy you
      use or
      > stacking trays, so take a tomatoe and slice it from the top in
      quarters
      > although not all the way through to the bottom so it is like a
      flower
      > opening. The four sections should fall open easily. Lay the
      tomatoes
      > out on your drying racks - I use trays made of wood slats nailed
      to 2
      > cross bars on the bottom. The trays themselves are elevated on
      wood
      > horses. No need to put cheese cloth or anything over the
      tomatoes.
      > After the tomatoes are finished drying put them in gallon ziplocs
      and
      > then in the freezer for a few days to kill any bug eggs. If you
      take
      > them out it is a good idea to do a second freezer visit after a
      few
      > days in case there were any remaining eggs that hatched. You can
      also
      > store the dried tomatoes in your freezer if you have room.
      >
      > Vicki
      >
      > --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Sharie" <sslush@m...> wrote:
      > > This may sound like a stupid question, BUT...when drying sun
      dried
      > > tomatoes, do you truly put them in the sun? or do you use a
      > dehydrator?
      > > If you put them outside in the sun do you cover them with
      cheesecloth
      > > or something as not to have lovely bugs, such as flies ( in the
      > summer
      > > heat) on your drying tomatoes.
      > > Also do you slice them or dry them whole?
      > > Thanks in adavance!! n_n
      > > Sharie
    • Alex Malinsky
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1 10:40 PM
        Check out my latest raw food newsletter!

        http://www.rawguru.com/issue12.html

        It has great recipes, new pictures, new interviews,
        articles, and much more! Visit the shop section too,
        to order some really raw avocado oil and other yummy
        raw food products!

        Have the best day ever!
        Alex
        www.rawguru.com

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Judy Cozza
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7, 2006
          Can I make my own sun dried tomatoes?
          Dry the tomatoes (like I did) - then what?
          Do I just put them in a jar with olive oil?
          Do people buy the ready made ones in the jar?
          Judy

        • Kristi
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 7, 2006
            I've made them in my dehydrator, but not the sun (too many bugs
            here!). I put some in with olive oil and herbs, and some I keep in
            just an airtight jar, for when I need to soak them before use.

            Kristi
            On Apr 7, 2006, at 9:01 PM, Judy Cozza wrote:

            > Can I make my own sun dried tomatoes?
            > Dry the tomatoes (like I did) - then what?
            > Do I just put them in a jar with olive oil?
            > Do people buy the ready made ones in the jar?
            > Judy

          • Judy Cozza
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 7, 2006
              Kristi - that is brilliant - I knew I could make my own.
              Question - why do you have to soak them before you use them if they have
              been soaking in olive oil??? I don't get that part.
              Judy

              On 4/7/06, Kristi <pixiechik@...> wrote:

              > I've made them in my dehydrator, but not the sun (too many bugs
              > here!). I put some in with olive oil and herbs, and some I keep in
              > just an airtight jar, for when I need to soak them before use.
              >
              > Kristi
              >
              > On Apr 7, 2006, at 9:01 PM, Judy Cozza wrote:
              >
              > > Can I make my own sun dried tomatoes?
              > > Dry the tomatoes (like I did) - then what?
              > > Do I just put them in a jar with olive oil?
              > > Do people buy the ready made ones in the jar?
              > > Judy

            • Kristi
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 7, 2006
                I keep some in olive oil, but some I just dry and put into a jar
                without olive oil. Just air! Those I soak in water before using in
                recipes to rehydrate them and make them softer (they will not end up
                like "normal"tomato slices after rehydrating) for easier blending,
                and I use them in recipes as a thickener without having all the added
                oil.

                The ones I keep in olive oil, I use as-is and don't soak in water.

                Hope I was clear...

                Kristi

                On Apr 7, 2006, at 9:27 PM, Judy Cozza wrote:

                > Kristi - that is brilliant - I knew I could make my own.
                > Question - why do you have to soak them before you use them if they
                > have
                > been soaking in olive oil??? I don't get that part.
                > Judy

              • Judy Cozza
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 7, 2006
                  Okay - great.

                  I had some in the jar and made a red pesto sauce for our pizza on Eziekel's
                  sprouted
                  wheat tortilla. I added raisins in it and other things and it was
                  outstanding because
                  of the sun dried tomatoes. I want to duplicate it but have it totally raw.
                  Thanks - I totally understood you.
                  Judy

                  On 4/7/06, Kristi <pixiechik@...> wrote:

                  > I keep some in olive oil, but some I just dry and put into a jar
                  > without olive oil. Just air! Those I soak in water before using in
                  > recipes to rehydrate them and make them softer (they will not end up
                  > like "normal"tomato slices after rehydrating) for easier blending,
                  > and I use them in recipes as a thickener without having all the added
                  > oil.
                  >
                  > The ones I keep in olive oil, I use as-is and don't soak in water.
                  >
                  > Hope I was clear...
                  >
                  > Kristi
                  >

                  > On Apr 7, 2006, at 9:27 PM, Judy Cozza wrote:
                  >
                  > > Kristi - that is brilliant - I knew I could make my own.
                  > > Question - why do you have to soak them before you use them if they
                  > > have
                  > > been soaking in olive oil??? I don't get that part.
                  > > Judy

                • Kristi
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 7, 2006
                    Ooh! Can I have the recipe? Sounds awesome!

                    Kristi

                    On Apr 7, 2006, at 10:37 PM, Judy Cozza wrote:

                    > Okay - great.
                    >
                    > I had some in the jar and made a red pesto sauce for our pizza on
                    > Eziekel's
                    > sprouted
                    > wheat tortilla. I added raisins in it and other things and it was
                    > outstanding because
                    > of the sun dried tomatoes. I want to duplicate it but have it
                    > totally raw.
                    > Thanks - I totally understood you.
                    > Judy

                  • Judy Cozza
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 7, 2006
                      Yes - this is exactly what I did.

                      1/2 cup or so dried tomatoes
                      1/4 c apple cider vinegar
                      1/4 c raisins
                      little onion powder
                      touch of salt

                      Whirled it in the blender - it was almost like a paste.
                      Made perfect ketchup or perfect red pesto for pizza.

                      Enjoy
                      Judy

                      On 4/7/06, Kristi <pixiechik@...> wrote:

                      > Ooh! Can I have the recipe? Sounds awesome!
                      >
                      > Kristi
                      >

                      > On Apr 7, 2006, at 10:37 PM, Judy Cozza wrote:
                      >
                      > > Okay - great.
                      > >
                      > > I had some in the jar and made a red pesto sauce for our pizza on
                      > > Eziekel's
                      > > sprouted
                      > > wheat tortilla. I added raisins in it and other things and it was
                      > > outstanding because
                      > > of the sun dried tomatoes. I want to duplicate it but have it
                      > > totally raw.
                      > > Thanks - I totally understood you.
                      > > Judy

                    • Kristi
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 7, 2006
                        Thanks!

                      • paddlerwoman@mac.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 8, 2006
                          Dehydrated home grown tomatoes are out of this world.

                          If you are looking for a source for already dried, organic - sun
                          organic farms has some good ones. Unless you have an army to feed
                          don't order ten pounds the first time. I did and that is a lot of dried
                          tomatoes!!

                          Judy,

                          How is your son's hand?

                          tammy
                          On Apr 7, 2006, at 11:07 PM, Judy Cozza wrote:

                          > Yes - this is exactly what I did.
                          >
                          > 1/2 cup or so dried tomatoes
                          > 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
                          > 1/4 c raisins
                          > little onion powder
                          > touch of salt
                          >
                          > Whirled it in the blender - it was almost like a paste.
                          > Made perfect ketchup or perfect red pesto for pizza.
                          >
                          > Enjoy
                          > Judy
                          >

                          > On 4/7/06, Kristi <pixiechik@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > >  Ooh! Can I have the recipe? Sounds awesome!
                          > >
                          > > Kristi
                          > >

                          > > On Apr 7, 2006, at 10:37 PM, Judy Cozza wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Okay - great.
                          > > >
                          > > > I had some in the jar and made a red pesto sauce for our pizza on
                          > > > Eziekel's
                          > > > sprouted
                          > > > wheat tortilla.  I added raisins in it and other things and it was
                          > > > outstanding because
                          > > > of the sun dried tomatoes. I want to duplicate it but have it
                          > > > totally raw.
                          > > > Thanks - I totally understood you.
                          > > > Judy

                          > >    -  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                          > >    Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                          > ▪  Visit your group "rawfood" on the web.

                          > Service.

                        • Judy Cozza
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 8, 2006
                            Thanks for the email.
                            I really want to make them myself and with help here - I DID!!
                            I am so excited.
                            My son's hand is healed and he is back to catching at baseball.
                            Thanks for your help.
                            Judy in Phx

                          • paddlerwoman@mac.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 8, 2006
                              Judy,

                              Living in Phoenix you can probably get tomatoes that are worth
                              dehydrating/drying most of the year. The ones we get here right now are
                              really pretty tasteless, even the organic ones. I am hoping that my
                              daughter grows lots of extras this year.

                              tammy