Tummy hurts after eating Watermelon!

  • jbarnha500@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2005
      Hi all, has anyone ever experienced their stomach hurting after eating watermelon.

      Before I was raw it never hurt. This has happened every time I eat watermelon for the last month or so.
      It only hurts for about 15 minutes. On a scale of 1 to 10 it hurts about #5. It doesn't hurt enough to give it up as I love it and it will be just seasonal.

      Any thoughts!!

      Thanks,
      Linda Sue

    • korangeli
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2005
        --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, jbarnha500@a... wrote:
        > Hi all, has anyone ever experienced their stomach hurting after
        eating watermelon.

        > Before I was raw it never hurt. This has happened every time I eat
        watermelon for the last month or so.
        > It only hurts for about 15 minutes. On a scale of 1 to 10 it hurts
        about #5. It doesn't hurt enough to give it up as I love it and it
        will be just seasonal.

        > Any thoughts!!
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Linda Sue

        Hi Sue - Kay here.

        I experience indigestion and stomach spasms on eating watermelon.
        Headache also.
        But then I can't stand the stuff - not even the smell so I don't eat
        it!

        Perhaps you overate? OR perhaps it is the seeds that aggravate you -
        are you eating the seeds?
        Do you actually like it?
        Is it organic?
        And most important - Is it RIPE? Or over ripe?

        I cannot help you further than that. It certainly isnt a demon fruit!!

        anyone else coment?? x
      • Kim Dawkins
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2005
          Hi,

          I had watermelon today and was thinking about your question as I
          ate...some thoughts:

          1. Are you chewing well? I found that the melon was so full of water
          it was easy to not chew completely and to swallow chunks with the
          juice.

          2. Is the melon chilled? I ate chilled watermelon today and did not
          get a tummy ache from it, but I thought perhaps a lot of cold going in
          at once may produce a belly ache, especially if you're body is used to
          room temperature foods.

          3. I think someone else said this too...are you eating more quantity
          of watermelon at one sitting than other other fruits at other meals? I
          find it very easy to eat a lot of watermelon! ;-)

          4. I've never had a problem with watermelon but cantaloupe, and
          particularly honeydew, give me a headache...always have since I was a
          child.

          Hope this helps.
          Kim

        • jbarnha500@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2005
            Hi Kim,

            Isn't is amazing how everyone can react differently to the same food. We are all the same yet different.

            Yes I do eat more watermelon in one setting than any other food, so that is probably one reason my stomach will hurt, although it is not a ache from eating to much. I do try to set out the melon a couple hours before I eat it because I don't like anything real cold.

            And no I can bet I am not eating it slow enough - as it is one of my favorite fruits so I slurp away :).

            I had about 3/4 of a honeydew for lunch today and not a bit of trouble felt great and it was delicious.

            So I plan on not eating so much in one setting and slow way down.

            Thanks to all that posted back to me I truly appreciate it.

            Linda Sue

            I had watermelon today and was thinking about your question as I
            ate...some thoughts:

            1. Are you chewing well? I found that the melon was so full of water
            it was easy to not chew completely and to swallow chunks with the
            juice.

            2. Is the melon chilled? I ate chilled watermelon today and did not
            get a tummy ache from it, but I thought perhaps a lot of cold going in
            at once may produce a belly ache, especially if you're body is used to
            room temperature foods.

            3. I think someone else said this too...are you eating more quantity
            of watermelon at one sitting than other other fruits at other meals? I
            find it very easy to eat a lot of watermelon! ;-)

            4. I've never had a problem with watermelon but cantaloupe, and
            particularly honeydew, give me a headache...always have since I was a
            child.

            Hope this helps.
            Kim

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Froggy
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2005
              i have no idea what you're talking about, nor do I have any
              comprehension as to what you're body may be going through that it could
              actually hurt by eating watermelon. I eat watermelon a lot, they sell
              it at the produce carts I like, then again I have no problems with a
              produce item. i wish i wasn't on moderation, it would be really
              helpful for me to see my posts as i make them, i'm just a raw food
              eater trying to stay raw you know. what's this forum for anyway, why
              do you have to be so much more than a raw food eater to post here, why
              is it so difficult to get a response to why i'm on moderation and
              apparently will never be taken off of it. i think i've demonstrated
              that i shouldn't be on moderation, i've e-mailed you to let me know if
              i could be taken off of it but you won't respond. if you can put
              someone on moderation, i think the least you could do is respond to
              them when they have a question. so what's the verdict?

              --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, jbarnha500@a... wrote:
              > Hi all, has anyone ever experienced their stomach hurting after
              eating watermelon.

              > Before I was raw it never hurt. This has happened every time I eat
              watermelon for the last month or so.
              > It only hurts for about 15 minutes. On a scale of 1 to 10 it hurts
              about #5. It doesn't hurt enough to give it up as I love it and it
              will be just seasonal.

              > Any thoughts!!
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Linda Sue

            • korangeli
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
                Can you explain what you mean by being on "moderation" please?
                Kay x