Re: [Raw Food] info for Nina (from a newbie/lurker + Intro added in) :)

  • we3deeves@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 12:50 AM
      In a message dated 4/28/2005 5:34:53 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      rawfood@yahoogroups.com writes:

      >Does anyone know of a raw food retreat with an Energy Exchange Program
      > in the US where they provide food & accomodations in exchange for work?

      Hi all,

      I just happened to see a website for this while I was surfing raw websites
      today and was thinking how I'd love to be able to go there for their required
      minium of 3 months (but I am a sahm who is unschooling w/my 6 year old)....and
      then I see this question from Nina on a digest from this group!

      Anyway, Nina....please check them out to see if it sounds like it might be
      something that would work for you. _http://www.creativehealthinstitute.us_
      (http://www.creativehealthinstitute.us) They'll give you room & board plus
      meals (all raw) and more, for a work exchange from you. You can choose to work
      in the kitchen, the garden, the office, maintenance, housekeeping and more I
      think :) It looks like a lovely place, plus you would learn SO much, I think!

      A quick intro from me...I'm recently 50, living a lovely life w/my dh & dd
      on the North side of Lake Ponchatrain in Louisiana (New Orleans is on the
      south side). I had my dd at age 44 after years of infertility treatment and my
      dh & I decided to flee the city and buy a bit of property to enjoy our life
      in a more spacious and natural setting.

      I also was dx'd w/HCV about 10 years ago, but luckily I'm asymptomatic.
      I've not eaten that well (meat AND carbs and just TOO MUCH of things), but
      probably better than most since I'd gone organic back then, quit drinking alcohol,
      cut out processed foods, hydrogenated oils, etc., and down on meats.

      I've always loved and eaten a great deal of raw food before I even knew it
      was a 'diet/life-style choice'. Although I'm still eating a cooked meal w/a
      small portion of poultry or seafood for dinner w/the family at this point,
      I'm gearing up to take the plunge to cut that out as well.

      My difficulty is cooking for my family (I'm a great cook, btw :) and loving
      nearly ALL food. So for now I'm just enjoying increasing my raw food intake,
      and the by-product of having my daughter and dh eating more of that :) I'm
      trying to listen carefully to what my body wants and follow
      accordingly....and I know right now it's starting to want MORE raw :)

      I've just gotten some new books - a few off ebay (Shazzie's Detox Your World
      & her Detox Delights, Lisa Cohen's Living On Live Food, as well as 12 steps
      to Raw) as well as Noni Shannon's recipe book from the village library.

      So I've got lots of books to begin reading to hopefully help me get pumped
      to make the plunge. I'm not changing my eating to loose weight (although I
      won't mind if I drop the extra 20 lbs that I've not lost since giving birth
      almost 6 years ago) but to have optimal health. Being a 50 year old mom to a
      not quite 5 year old is a really motivating factor in and of itself...you want
      to live to be able to parent your children....and living a long and healthy
      life might mean I'd even get to see grandchildren one of these days :)!

      Besides the HCV, I also was dx'd w/osteopenia 3 years ago, have chronic
      allergies (mold, mites, dust, pollen, animal dander) and have 4 live in animals
      and live near a swamp <grin> I hit menopause immediately after giving birth
      (never had another period!) and am currently taking bioidentical HRT (I was
      told it might help my bones as well). Haivng said all that...I still feel young
      'inside' <grin> ...now I just need to get my body in sinc with my soul!

      Which reminds, me...I also bought that book 'Senior Fitness' that Elchalon
      (sp?) recommended a few threads back and am really enjoying it as well
      (although I wish Ruth talked more about her raw food experiences)...I'm finding it
      helpful in all areas. In fact, reading her book is actually what motivated me
      into running (which I've never done), since she talks about how it's
      increased her bone density!

      So, besides the focus on nutrition, I've also started jogging on the Trace
      behind our property - I jog/walk while my little girl, Emma, rides her bike
      along side and we go down to the bayou and back every day (now for a week!).
      We also jump on the 15' trampoline we have, as well as the little rebounder.

      We've put in our first bed in our organic garden and hopefully will start
      planting a mini orchard next year w/satsumas, figs, lemons, pears, blueberries
      as well as blackberries. I'm very into planting lots of edible landscape.

      LOL - well it's after 2:30 a.m. so I need to get to bed - and this is
      turning into a BOOK anyway - lol! Looking forward to sharing the journey with all
      of you.

      Oh...I am wondering if anyone here knows what happened to an old raw yahoo
      group called Harmonious Living? I'd been subscribed to it a couple of years
      ago, then lost my computer to a power surge, and then when got online again
      cannot find the group.

      Warmly,
      Denise in Louisiana

    • Bob Farrell
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 5:45 AM
        --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, we3deeves@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 4/28/2005 5:34:53 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        > rawfood@yahoogroups.com writes:

        Hi Denise!

        Lovely intro, and welcome to the group! (and no, I'm *not* the
        official group welcomer! lol!)

        and one of the things I especially appreciated about your post was
        that you lead off by sharing something! excellent!

        To me that's one of the keys to a great group/community, whatever
        you'd like to call us: real sharing.

        thanks again, and welcome to the group!

        all the best,

        Bob