RE: [Raw Food] My dates came! [s]

  • INFO @ Vibrant Life
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2005
      Carolyn, glad to hear the dates are "going down well." Here's an idea for
      future orders: They make the sample box by partitioning the box into 4
      compartments. Ask them to fill 1-2 compartments with something you love,
      such as the Medjools, and the other compartments with something new. That
      way there is always something familiar and something new in every box. Just
      a thought!
      Elchanan
      From: vlinfo@... signed email body (1366 characters)
      Date: on 01 April 2005 at 06:54:01 UTC
      To: rawfood@yahoogroups.com
      : Ciphire has secured this email against identity theft.
      : Free download at www.ciphire.com. The garbled lines
      : below are the sender's verifiable digital signature.
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1 4:23 PM
        How do you all eat dates?
        I have only used them mixed with nuts & fruits (raw fruit pie). I find them too sweet to eat alone.
        thoughts?
        Leslie
      • INFO @ Vibrant Life
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1 5:14 PM
          Leslie asks:

          How do you all eat dates?
          I have only used them mixed with nuts & fruits (raw fruit pie). I find them
          too sweet to eat alone.
          thoughts?
          Leslie
          _____

          Dates differ tremendously by variety in sweetness, moistness, and other
          characteristics. It might be helpful for people in this group to begin
          sharing their assessments of the relative sweetness, moistness, texture of
          dates they are trying. All willing, please jump in!

          My point is that there are varieties you may find enjoyable when eating them
          straight.

          Another idea: make the pie with a 100% date crust, let the other ingredients
          offset the sweetness. For example, let the filling be apple dipped in lime
          juice. To make a date crust, put the pitted dates into a food processor and
          process on high until the whole thing is a big mushy ball. Then spread that
          out as the crust and freeze it. This hardens the crust, making the pie
          servable. This is one of the rare occasions I'll suggest freezing, it's not
          as destructive with dates as with most other foods, and it won't remain
          frozen long. When the filling is ready, remove the pie from the freezer, put
          the filling in, and eat! We have also added a date topping at times: dates,
          little water, perhaps a little lime juice in the Vita-Mix, liquefy and
          spread.

          You can also use dates in a variety of smoothies. For example, take several
          bananas (quantity you wish to eat), a few stalks of celery (perhaps one per
          banana), and a few dates, add water and blend in the Vita-Mix (or other
          blender). Play with the ratios, see what appeals most to you. Do this with
          and without celery leaves, the difference can be quite pronounced. Great
          breakfast drink.

          Just to get you started ...
          Elchanan

          --
          ---------------------[ Ciphire Signature ]----------------------
          From: vlinfo@... signed email body (1397 characters)
          Date: on 02 April 2005 at 01:14:55 UTC
          To: rawfood@yahoogroups.com
          : Ciphire has secured this email against identity theft.
          : Free download at www.ciphire.com. The garbled lines
          : below are the sender's verifiable digital signature.
        • Bob Farrell
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1 7:14 PM
            --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "INFO @ Vibrant Life" <VLinfo@e...>
            wrote:
            > Leslie asks:
            >
            > How do you all eat dates?
            > I have only used them mixed with nuts & fruits (raw fruit pie). I
            find them
            > too sweet to eat alone.
            > thoughts?
            > Leslie
            > _____
            first, my date experience thus far (limited to the four types in my
            sampler box...):

            the super size Medjools are fabulous by themselves for me....I find
            them, sweet, moist and delectable, and HUGE (I count each one of them
            as 3 dates for Nutridiary....)

            the Peanut: are drier, less sweet, and so..so....

            The Honey dates are mouth-wateringly sweet, very moist (just like
            that famous candy: melt in your mouth!), and fabulous...
            (ok...ok..I've got a sweet tooth!)

            The Carmelitas I find drier, medium sweet, and chewy and yes, taste
            somewhat like carmel...

            for a recipe: Elchanan had posted one from Doug Graham a little
            earlier that I used as the centerpiece of my lunch today:

            Fresh Applesauce:

            3 Apples - cored
            6 Dates - pitted

            put them all in a food processor (I used my Champion juicer with the
            blank in...a little messier, and worked ok..) and voila!

            'twas good...tasty..and about 325 Kcal, 95/3/2 ...

            regards,

            Bob