plants want you to eat their fruit!

  • rawimmortal
    Message 1 of 1852 , Jan 3, 2000
      Who has ever wondered why plants evolved fruits?
      Are fruits just a delivery package for propagating
      seeds, or are they just for us to eat? Well, the answer
      is a mix of both:<br><br>Fruits are a delivery
      package for propagating seeds, so that the plant may
      spread it's progeny. But why has the package been made
      so visually appealing, fragrant, delicious, and
      nutritious? Specifically because in nature, the
      animals<br>(including us) have a symbiotic relationship with the plant
      kingdom. The relationship is both beneficial and necessary
      to both animals and plants. The plants need for
      their seeds to be scattered beyond their immediate
      vicinity. This wide broadcast is necessary for continued
      survival of a plant specie. It ensures that the seeds will
      be introduced into a wide variety of environments,
      some of which will harbor ideal environmental
      conditions for the growth of that plant! Animals need for
      the plant kingdom to provide food for them, which
      will meet all of their biological needs. Plants
      evolved their fruits, as a fleshy covering over their
      seeds, with a two-fold purpose, where animals are
      concerned. First,<br>the colors, fragrances, and tastes are
      meant to attract the animals (again, including us), to
      eat them! In this way, the plants are assured of
      having their seeds broadcast far and wide, limited only
      by the environments to which humans or<br>other
      animals can adapt! Second, it would not make sense in
      this symbiotic relationship between plants and animals
      for the animals to be poorly nourished...eventually
      they would be unhealthy and unable to scatter the
      seeds for the plants. So instead, the plants
      concentrate vital nutrients in the fruits with which they
      attract animals. It is in their interest to do so! It is
      in the best interest of animals to eat the fruits
      and scatter their seeds, for this ensures a
      continuing supply of food upon which to survive! The
      survival of the entire animal kingdom is dependent upon
      this<br>process, for even the carnivores ultimately eat plant
      eaters, who eat plants! So you can see, the continued
      health and existence of both plants and animals are
      dependent upon this symbiotic relationship.<br><br>Seen
      from a different perspective, the plants want us to
      eat their fruits! They are meant specifically for us!
      They are also the only food that upon being eaten,
      does not cause a life form to die, or interfere with
      the process of<br>reproduction, either of plants or
      animals! Seen in this light, for those individuals who
      believe in the concept of "karma", fruits can be seen as
      the only food for humans or animals, which is
      completely "karma-free"!<br><br>Habib
      Message 1852 of 1852 , Feb 2, 2007