RE: [Raw Food] I've fallen, and I can't get up!

  • Jennifer
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2005
      Any suggestions on how I can get past this obstacle and back
      on track?

      When I started out, all gung-ho like you, a few months ago,
      I told myself I wasn't going to do it perfectly in the
      beginning. I started out by trying a new recipe each day or
      so, all the while slowly finishing the cooked food and
      ingredients in my kitchen cupboards and refrigerator. As I
      finished off the old stuff, I started building a
      "repertoire" of raw recipes. Soon I found myself 99-100%
      raw, without much trouble!

      I've also found that establishing routines has been very
      helpful to staying raw. I shop for groceries on Mondays and
      Fridays, so I am rarely out of any particular food. The day
      before I go food shopping, I open up a raw cookbook or two
      and plan to make 3-5 recipes I see there. I write down the
      groceries I need to buy on the left side of my grocery list,
      and I write down the recipe names and page #s on the right
      side of my grocery list. Then, each night when I am trying
      to decide what to make for dinner, I just look over my
      grocery list and pick a recipe. Over time, I have also
      learned how to gauge when it's time to sprout seeds, make
      dehydrated crackers, etc., by "eyeballing" how much I have
      left in the cupboard. I eat pretty much the same thing each
      day (with slight variations) for breakfast and lunch), and
      then I experiment with new dishes for dinner.

      These are some tips that have worked for me. Hope you find
      them helpful!

      All the best,

      Jennifer

    • Froggy
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2005
        Hi Carolyn, I've been raw since Dec. 21. I've had many relapses in
        my life, but I'm staying strong this time. For something heavier I
        eat avocados. I'm accepting not having more and different, just
        munching on the produce that's available. I don't feel underfed
        grazing in my garden throughout the day, I'm quite sure I'm getting
        all I need caloriewise and nutritionally.

        Rich

        --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Siviax3" <siviax3@c...> wrote:

        > Hi, all. I started my raw food adventure on January 3rd, and did
        pretty well for the month of January. Generally. In the past week
        or so, though, I've found myself having *several* SAD meals, and one
        or two (two, I think) full days going SAD. Today, after eating
        horribly then sitting down to think about what's going on, I think my
        biggest problem is . . . I jumped into this unprepared for the long
        haul. I have a few books about raw food (Harvey & Marilyn
        Diamond's "Fit For Life," Carol Alt's "Eating in the Raw," Marilou
        Henner's "Total Health Makeover," and most recently Alissa
        Cohen's "Living on Live Food") and jumped wholeheartedly into the
        lifestyle. What I failed to do was actually attempt to make many (or
        any) of the recipes in any of the books, and now I find myself
        wanting "heavier" meals. I've been living on fruit in the
        morning 'til noon, then salads and guacamole during the
        afternoon/evening. I want "more and different," but I don't have the
        means to make the meals. Actually, I have the means, just not the
        produce! I even bought a simple dehydrator this past weekend, but
        have no food to put in it! I just feel overwhelmed, underfed, and
        totally in over my head. Any suggestions on how I can get past this
        obstacle and back on track?

        > Thanks!
        > Carolyn :)
        >

        > It is said that the Devil has all the best tunes.
        > This is broadly true. But Heaven has the best choreographers.
        > -- Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, "Good Omens"
      • Diana of Dewberry Hill
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2005
          I have a recipe that calls for tofu...what would I use instead?

          Thanks,
          Diana of Dewberry Hill

        • John de la Garza
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2005
            Maybe look for a raw 'cheese cake' and create some stuff that is the
            consistency of tofu using ground nuts or however they
            make the base of the cheese cake.

            If you come up with a good suggestion let me or us know

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2005
              Well, it's for an entree, so what I'm thinking so far is cashews and lemon juice (as a tofu substitute)...sort of like a cashew tahini type stuff. Not quite the same as tofu...anyone else?
              Diana of DH

              "John de la Garza" wrote: look for a raw 'cheese cake' and create some stuff that is the

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2005
                http://www.mts.net/~bltaylor/WILDRICE.HTM

              • Persian
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 4, 2005
                  On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 06:25:14 -0600, Siviax3 wrote:

                  > Hi, all. I started my raw food adventure on January 3rd, and did pretty well for the month of
                  January. Generally. In the past week or so, though, I've found myself having *several* SAD meals,
                  simple dehydrator this past weekend, but have no food to put in it! I just feel overwhelmed,
                  underfed, and totally in over my head. Any suggestions on how I can get past this obstacle
                  and back on track?

                  It can all be overwhelming making these changes. Someone suggested some sort of
                  shopping list I think and that is what I do. I choose a couple of things I will make
                  I then work out how long before I have to soak things. Plan the day to soak and make etc.
                  Make the shopping list for my recipes and buy it all in one day.

                  I don't have her book but I have a recipe for flax crackers so I put it on my list
                  to buy flaxseeds. Then early that morning the day I am making them I soaked the flax seeds
                  as it said for about 12 hours, then later that evening I got the other vegies out that I had
                  bought for the crackers and made the mixture and plopped it in blobs onto the dehydrator sheets.
                  I left it there all night with a note to myself to turn them in the morning ( the crackers),
                  then I did that and the next evening at dinner time they were ready, to eat with salad.
                  Made lots actually so they are in an air tight container for snacking!

                  Personally I am usually very organised and I love to have a menu plan for the week.
                  I do not always stick exactly to what I am making each day but I normally do.
                  Also I have found it really helps prevent food getting wasted as before I shop I count
                  up how many of an item I need! honest! Works for me. I dont mean like apples
                  and bananas but stuff for recipes, like red peppers, lettuce etc. I hardly EVER
                  throw anything out!

                  Write back if you have any more problems,. and hang in there!

                  Persian