Eating Sprouted Grains

  • Diana of Dewberry Hill
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 1, 2005
      Those who eat sprouted grains, why do you think they benifit you. I'm learning and have not had a chance to read the books pro or con...but shall. Would love your feedback.

      Those who not eat sprouted grains? Some of you have refered me to resources which I will eventually read. I'd like your experiences first hand on how you feel better without them...not just what a book suggests you do. Have you actually used sprouted grains and then quit?

      You are great! Thanks,
      D of DH

    • John de la Garza
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 2, 2005
        do you mean sprouted grains only or sprouts in general?

        On Jan 1, 2005, at 9:56 PM, Diana of Dewberry Hill wrote:

        > Those who eat sprouted grains, why do you think they benifit you. I'm
        > learning and have not had a chance to read the books pro or con...but
        > shall. Would love your feedback.
        >
        > Those who not eat sprouted grains? Some of you have refered me to
        > resources which I will eventually read. I'd like your experiences
        > first hand on how you feel better without them...not just what a book
        > suggests you do. Have you actually used sprouted grains and then quit?
        >
        > You are great! Thanks,
        > D of DH

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        ---------------------------
        One fourth of what you eat keeps you alive. The other three-fourths
        keep your doctor alive.
      • Rawist
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 2, 2005
          I don't eat grains. I don't look for sprouts. They don't have much
          taste anyway, and take more effort that is worth them to find or
          grow. If picking up a stalk of wheat and eating it was tasty, I'd do
          it, but it's not.

          Rich

          --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "lane lynn" <lanie@p...> wrote:
          > Diana, There is a bood out there, Raw Secrets, by Patenaude. He has
          a lot of factual information there. One thing he says is that we
          should not eat grain. That we are not grainivores, Birds are. I'm
          still learning about all this, so am no expert, but it makes sense to
          me. On the other hand, the raw food restaurant here serves sprouted
          wild rice. Yours in health, Lane
        • Rawist
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 2, 2005
            I get all the nutrition I need from vegetables, fruits and nuts. I'm
            not trying to eat everything that man can put in his mouth. Part of
            being raw for me is being simple with my food so I have more time for
            other things. A sprout is like eating grass, what for? Why look for
            them? I don't know about the scientific health of sprouted grains or
            not, I just don't have any appeal to them. But I would eat any raw,
            non-animal product if it happened to be there, so if sprouted grains
            are just seeds that have sprouted, I'm sure they would be fine for
            me. I don't see any raw food coming from the non-animal kingdom as
            being unhealthy or not desirable.

            Rich

            --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Diana of Dewberry Hill
            <cozad76078@y...> wrote:
            > Those who eat sprouted grains, why do you think they benifit you.
            I'm learning and have not had a chance to read the books pro or
            con...but shall. Would love your feedback.

            > Those who not eat sprouted grains? Some of you have refered me to
            resources which I will eventually read. I'd like your experiences
            first hand on how you feel better without them...not just what a book
            suggests you do. Have you actually used sprouted grains and then quit?

            > You are great! Thanks,
            > D of DH
          • Diana of Dewberry Hill
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 2, 2005
              Specifically sprouted GRAINS....
              D of DH

              "John de la Garza" john@... wrote:
              do you mean sprouted grains only or sprouts in general?

              On Jan 1, 2005, at 9:56 PM, Diana of Dewberry Hill wrote:

              > Those who eat sprouted grains, why do you think they benefit you. I'm
              > learning and have not had a chance to read the books pro or con...but
              > shall. Would love your feedback.
              >
              > Those who not eat sprouted grains? Some of you have refereed me to
              > resources which I will eventually read. I'd like your experiences
              > first hand on how you feel better without them...not just what a book
              > suggests you do. Have you actually used sprouted grains and then quit?
              >
              > You are great! Thanks,
              > D of DH

            • Essentially Sasha
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 2, 2005
                Diana,

                I usually don't eat much sprouted grain for the reason that I feel weighted
                down, heavier, and bloated if I eat too much. I feel as if I have gained
                weight afterwards too. I don't know if that is the case because I don't
                weigh myself. But sometimes, nothing beats a bowl of fresh made
                buckwheaties. Buckwheat is an oat groat, I think that is a grain, but I
                could be wrong. When I do sprout Buckwheat I use it for the following:

                One of my favorite breakfast cereals is called "Buckwheaties" (Gabriel
                Cousens M.D. recipe)
                You first have to sprout the buckwheat. Directions for this can be found on
                the www.thesproutpeople.com website. Or you can find it in 'Rainbow Green
                Life-Food Cuisine.'
                It is very easy. Then you are ready to make the following cereal.

                Cinnamon "Toasted" Pecan Buckwheaties ('Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine'
                pg. 372)
                2 C Buckwheaties

                Cinnamon Toasted Pecans
                2 C pecans, soaked
                1 T lemon juice
                1 T cinnamon

                Process pecans and lemon juice in a food processor with the "S" blade until
                chunky; toss pecans in cinnamon. Mix in Buckwheaties now or wait until
                after nuts are dehydrated. Place mixture (with or without Buckwheaties) on
                a dehydrator tray and dehydrate at 105 degrees for 2-3 hours. If you haven
                t already, mix in Buckwheaties. Serve with nut mylk.

                I like to top Buckwheaties with fresh berries of choice, raisins, apricots,
                dates. Or bananas, apples, or any combination of fruit to your liking.
                Then I pour freshly made kefir on top. It is scrumptious.

                Hope you like them.
                Sasha

                Subject: Re: [Raw Food] Eating Sprouted Grains

                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 3, 2005
                  Sasha, thanks for your nice post on your "buckwheaties" :-)
                  Many on this list and the various authors, have different views. I'm just going to keep asking people and reading and experimenting for myself on certain things like the sprouted grains. I decided long ago that I want to eat fruit separately from other foods, and in good combinations of fruits. Melon alone, etc. If I eat sprouted grains it will be with vegetables/salads or "crackers" in a veg dip. Have a great day. Oh! and I do still use Kefir. Am still praying if should stop, but have not got the go ahead to stop yet. I either drink it alone or have it with papaya as a snack. Trying to watch my mixes.

                  Diana of Dewberry Hill

                • lane lynn
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 5, 2005
                    Another thing I heard at my raw food meeting was that anything you like cooked you can make raw. Does anyone know how to make good, raw, chestnut puree? Thanks, Lane

                    "John de la Garza" john@... wrote:
                    do you mean sprouted grains only or sprouts in general?

                    On Jan 1, 2005, at 9:56 PM, Diana of Dewberry Hill wrote:

                    > Those who eat sprouted grains, why do you think they benefit you.

                  • Valerie Mills Daly
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 5, 2005
                      I'm not sure this is true; I always loved cooked potatoes, can't eat raw potatoes, they make me ill. Do they mean that you can make a dish that will be similar? For instance, I know some folks make raw "mashed potatoes" with cashews and cauliflower. There are a lot of foods that need some degree of processing in order to be made palatable, and that I would not want to eat in their raw form. Did they give any specific examples?

                      Thanks, Lane....

                      Valerie

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 5, 2005
                        I'm not attracted to raw potatoes either and I'm not sure why. They
                        don't taste that good but they don't taste all that bad either.
                        Maybe the non-organic ones are just foul and I might like organic
                        ones. Or maybe the starchy content just doesn't seem like food to
                        me. A date going from hard to edible is all the processing I want
                        done to my food.

                        Rich

                        --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Valerie Mills Daly <valdaly@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > I'm not sure this is true; I always loved cooked potatoes, can't
                        eat raw potatoes, they make me ill. Do they mean that you can make a
                        dish that will be similar? For instance, I know some folks make
                        raw "mashed potatoes" with cashews and cauliflower. There are a lot
                        of foods that need some degree of processing in order to be made
                        palatable, and that I would not want to eat in their raw form. Did
                        they give any specific examples?

                        > Thanks, Lane....
                        >
                        > Valerie
                      • Diana of Dewberry Hill
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 5, 2005
                          Lane, I don't know about chestnut puree but I have just begun making these delicious mock S.A.D. recipes. Alissa Cohen's recipes are so easy to make (from spaghetti to fake dairy that you can use in your recipes. I made the "sunny pate" and it's incredible and I added a couple of tomatoes in the processor at the end...rolled it in lettuce leaves and rolled it up. To live for! I did order Bryan's book "Raw in Ten" because his pics looked so good and I like simple recipes and he includes shipping, LOL. Just get the recipe books and you can go crazy and this way of eating becomes fun. Yes, you can make anything mock, just about. Raw food tastes better than gormet cooked. Gormet raw! I'm getting now to the point where I look at a regular recipe and figure out how to make it with raw.
                          Diana of Dewberry Hill

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 5, 2005
                            Valerie. I think he meant the second thing...you can recreate any dish using raw ingredients. For instance when I blend tomatoes, cucumber, greens and celery in the blender, it comes out tasting remarkably close to gespachio(not sure how to spell that). Lane

                            lane lynn <lanie@...> wrote:
                            Another thing I heard at my raw food meeting was that anything you like cooked you can make raw. Does anyone know how to make good, raw, chestnut puree? Thanks, Lane

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          • Diana of Dewberry Hill
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 5, 2005
                              Some of you mentioned raw potatoes and how you just didn't like them.
                              You can use Jicama instead of fresh raw potato in any recipe and it's really good. You can make a "potato salad" or you can make dehydrated potato recipes...here is one:
                              http://www.rawfoodwiki.org/index.php/SpinachAndPotatoLatkes

                              Diana of Dewberry Hill

                            • Rawist
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 5, 2005
                                If I was to use a recipe, it would be masking my desire for cooked
                                food. Not that that's a bad thing.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 5, 2005
                                  I like Jicama, don't come across it very often. It's big in
                                  California.

                                  <cozad76078@y...> wrote:
                                  > Some of you mentioned raw potatoes and how you just didn't like
                                  them.
                                  > You can use Jicama instead of fresh raw potato in any recipe and
                                  it's really good. You can make a "potato salad" or you can make
                                  dehydrated potato recipes...here is one:
                                  > http://www.rawfoodwiki.org/index.php/SpinachAndPotatoLatkes
                                  >
                                  > Diana of Dewberry Hill
                                • Diana of Dewberry Hill
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 5, 2005
                                    No, it's not a bad thing...it makes variety more normal as to what we are used to. Something pretty, and tasty. My main concern is that the recipes I use are not real complicated, not too time consuming and do not have combinations that I consider will cause fermentation from wrong combinations...or have to many combinatios of things mixing. Raw food recipes are so plentiful in number that we need to pick and choose according to our tastes and diet preferences.
                                    D of DH

                                    If I was to use a recipe, it would be masking my desire for cooked
                                    food. Not that that's a bad thing.

                                    Rich

                                  • terry
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 6, 2005
                                      Diana,
                                      I've been curious about the "Raw in Ten" book. Could you give us a
                                      review when you get it?

                                      I just received Alissa Cohen's book yesterday, so haven't had a
                                      chance to try any recipes yet. Looks like a great book!

                                      thanks
                                      Terry

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 7, 2005
                                          Thanks Diana. I've spent a wonderful hour with my Alissa book - it
                                          is great. I've already recommended it to a person who is just
                                          starting out on raw. The recipes all sound good - however, I don't
                                          use honey or Braggs, I'll just substitute salt and date juice and
                                          see how it works. I'm on a very tight budget, so I really liked the
                                          way she broke the first four weeks down into what to buy. That has
                                          been my hardest thing - making sure I have the right ingredients on
                                          hand when I want to whip something up.

                                          Looking forward to hearing about the other book too, tho. I am
                                          almost never home so my prep time is at a premium. Glad you liked
                                          the corn salad - that book has a lot of good stuff in it. I use the
                                          tomato dressing almost exclusively now - add a few other things from
                                          time to time, but stick with the basic recipe pretty much.

                                          Spinning the corn salad in the processor. Know what? If turned to
                                          chunky mush, I bet it would make great dehydrated crackers ...
                                          hmmmmm. May have to try that next time!

                                          cheers
                                          terry

                                          <cozad76078@y...> wrote:
                                          > OK, Terry...I'll give you a book report on "Raw in Ten". I think
                                          it's hot off the press and I may not get it for a few weeks. You
                                          will adore Alissa's book. I've got both Cousin's books at the duplex
                                          and will get them tomorrow if I can get off this iced mountain
                                          (LOL!) I'm on the Rainbow Green list and it sounds pretty
                                          complicated...will see. May experiment. But I'm very at home with
                                          Alissa's book. Oh! I tried your corn salad and it was delicious...I
                                          actually spun it once in the food processor to make it easier to
                                          chew...LOL! I have good teeth, I was just lazy;=)
                                          > D of DH
                                          >
                                          > Diana,
                                          > I've been curious about the "Raw in Ten" book. Could you give us
                                          > review when you get it?
                                          >
                                          > I just received Alissa Cohen's book yesterday, so haven't had a
                                          > chance to try any recipes yet. Looks like a great book!
                                          >
                                          > thanks
                                          > Terry

                                        • Diana of Dewberry Hill

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 25, 2005
                                              --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Rawist" <seconaphim@y...> wrote:

                                              > I'm not attracted to raw potatoes either and I'm not sure why. They
                                              > don't taste that good but they don't taste all that bad either.
                                              > Maybe the non-organic ones are just foul and I might like organic
                                              > ones. Or maybe the starchy content just doesn't seem like food to
                                              > me. A date going from hard to edible is all the processing I want
                                              > done to my food.
                                              >
                                              > Rich
                                              Ive read never to eat raw potatoes that they are toxic and cooking
                                              breaks down the toxins. When you ate them did you eat a large
                                              amount? If so, did you feel well afterwards?
                                            • Froggy
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 26, 2005
                                                No, I've never eaten a large amount of raw potatoes. Here, I'll try
                                                one now. Eh, I ate a slice, maybe it's the crunchiness I don't
                                                like. Maybe it's my inner guidance telling me they're toxic in some
                                                way. But no, I've never gotten sick eating them. Not much taste to
                                                them, even less than your average plant food.

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jan 26, 2005
                                                  last night I did some research and read that enough raw potatoes can
                                                  stop your heart.