Re: [Raw Food] Diana - blender

  • lee *
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 1, 2005
      Diana,
      Back in the early 70's I had an old avocado colored Vitamix that had a stainless steel blender container. I used it to grind flour and make babyfood. No job was too tough for it. I ended up giving it to a friend. When going raw this summer I really wanted one again so I looked on Ebay. I actually got one exactly like the one I had in the 70's for $75.00. I knew that those old ones would last forever. Nothing fancy about it, but it gets the job done.

      Check on Ebay, they had a lot of the old ones last summer and I'm sure they come up as people upgrade to the fancy new ones.
      calee

      Diana of Dewberry Hill <cozad76078@...> wrote:
      I see that some people are using either the Vitamix or the champ HP-3 and they are pretty costly. I am planning toward my kitchen being raw for the long run. Please explain to me why it would be of use to have one of these rather than a blender...and which one?

      Also when I posted about sprouts I forgot to ask about the new FreshLife Automatic Sprouter that I see advertised on some sites. It would be nice when I go to the city for my one week a month and have constant electricity, to not have to hassle with rinsing sprouts. Especially that is where I will be using my Excalibur and dehydrating for that week.

      Here at the cabin I either use my blender or food processor when I'm on line at night (with the big generator running) or use the little gennie outside the kitchen during the day (for as long as it takes to blend/grind/combine...a minute or two at a time) .

      Bless you,
      Diana of Dewberry Hill :-)

      What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
        Here is a place to buy great sprouters!

        http://www.rawfoodequipment.com/sprouters.html

        Have the best day ever!
        Alex

      • John de la Garza
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
          this is a great sprouter:
          http://sproutpeople.com/devices/ez/easysprout.html

          it is the one I use, it works great and doesn't cost much

          checkout more at: http://sproutpeople.com/devices/index.html

          On Jan 2, 2005, at 8:08 AM, Alex Malinsky wrote:

          > Here is a place to buy great sprouters!
          >
          > http://www.rawfoodequipment.com/sprouters.html

        • lane lynn
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
            Valerie would you mind telling more about the sproiuter? I'm kinda new at all this and thought it might be nice to learn to make sprouts. I tried a long time ago and failed. I think I remember you need special seeds, sprouting seeds. Is that true?
            Also why not just do it in jars, esp. since you have to change the water every day anyway. Just wondering.... Thanks, Lane
            The Freshlife sprouter works well, but you do have to change the water every day; don't know if that would make a difference for you or not.

            Peace,
            Valerie

            Diana of Dewberry Hill <cozad76078@...> wrote:
            Also when I posted about sprouts I forgot to ask about the new FreshLife Automatic Sprouter that I see advertised on some sites. It would be nice when I go to the city for my one week a month and have constant electricity, to not have to hassle with rinsing sprouts. Especially that is where I will be using my Excalibur and dehydrating for that week.

          • Diana of Dewberry Hill
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
              Hey! That sprouter looks really terrific, think I'll get that one first...before I even think of one of the more expensive ones, which I can always get later.
              D of DH

              this is a great sprouter:
              http://sproutpeople.com/devices/ez/easysprout.html

              it is the one I use, it works great and doesn't cost much

              checkout more at: http://sproutpeople.com/devices/index.html

            • Valerie Mills Daly
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
                I like it because it rinses the seeds very well at regular intervals without my having to be there; working full time and often being out in the evenings, I found I was having problems with sprouts getting musty or moldy; no problems when using this sprouter.

                My only concern when purchasing seeds is that they be organic, I don't look for special sprouting seeds, though they often end up being the same thing. Hope this helps.

                peace,
                Valerie

                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
                  ROTFL!!

                  Mark Hovila <hovila@...> wrote:Carolyn,

                  Tell him he should thank his lucky stars to have you preparing this food for him. Being newly single, with 2 kids (non-raw), and struggling to keep it all going, it would be HEAVEN if somebody would hand me a Collard Roll-up. I might propose marriage on the spot!

                • lane lynn

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 5, 2005
                      I know what you mean, Lane; I don't eat a lot of sprouts, because a lot of them just don't taste good to me, but I do manage to eat some that I enjoy, and they are part of my 'greens.' I know some say that they are not good for us, but there is hardly a food out there, raw or otherwise, that someone somewhere does not feel is bad for us. I like what Victoria Boutenko shares in one of her books: By the time we try to avoid every food that someone says is bad for us, there is nothing left to eat! I've been warned against all fruit, specific fruits, all vegetables, specific vegetables, eat nuts, don't eat nuts, eat seeds, don't eat seeds, etc., etc. I'm spending more time paying attention to how my body reacts to certain foods and deciding for myself what works for me and what doesn't. So far, fruits are winning the day, along with a few veggies (including sprouts), nuts and seeds. I seem to be at my best with this combination so far.

                      Good luck to us all as we try to figure this out!!

                      Peace,
                      Valerie

                      lane lynn <lanie@...> wrote:
                      Thanks Valerie. I'll experiment. Although I just attended a raw food eater's group last night and heard that sprouts aren't good for us. Lots of info to sort through. What to do? I guess it will all sort out in the long run. Yours in health, Lane

                    • Rawist
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 5, 2005
                        I eat greens. I'm not concerned about what others say is good or
                        bad. I'm happy eating any and all raw plant food but it's easiest to
                        just get fruits, vegetables and nuts. My body reacts great to any
                        raw plant food. I probably eat mostly fruit since most of what I buy
                        is seeded or the product of a plant. Seeds are kinda small, not much
                        to grasp and chew on so I don't bother with them much. I like raw
                        sunflower seeds. Peace to you to, Valerie.

                        Love, light, goodness, joy, comfort, peace, happiness, sanctitude,
                        holiness, laughter, wonderfulness, and righteousness,

                        Rich

                        --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Valerie Mills Daly <valdaly@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > I know what you mean, Lane; I don't eat a lot of sprouts, because a
                        lot of them just don't taste good to me, but I do manage to eat some
                        that I enjoy, and they are part of my 'greens.' I know some say that
                        they are not good for us, but there is hardly a food out there, raw
                        or otherwise, that someone somewhere does not feel is bad for us. I
                        like what Victoria Boutenko shares in one of her books: By the time
                        we try to avoid every food that someone says is bad for us, there is
                        nothing left to eat! I've been warned against all fruit, specific
                        fruits, all vegetables, specific vegetables, eat nuts, don't eat
                        nuts, eat seeds, don't eat seeds, etc., etc. I'm spending more time
                        paying attention to how my body reacts to certain foods and deciding
                        for myself what works for me and what doesn't. So far, fruits are
                        winning the day, along with a few veggies (including sprouts), nuts
                        and seeds. I seem to be at my best with this combination so far.

                        > Good luck to us all as we try to figure this out!!
                        >
                        > Peace,
                        > Valerie
                      • Valerie Mills Daly

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 5, 2005
                            I couldn't do it any other way, than to go all raw at once. I
                            wouldn't et any raw food when I'm eating cooked. I've proved that
                            more times than I can count to. I get sated (satisfied the appetite
                            of) but not too full. I have no compulsion to overeat raw food,
                            unlike cooked. I'd still rather eat cooked, but the mental
                            consequences are great and I feel much better eating raw. I may
                            refine what I eat to a fruitarian diet someday. I ran into a forum
                            for them and a few websites, it sounds logical to me.For now I am
                            thrilled to be feeling well eating raw. I eat the simple raw foods.
                            Excellent dinner Lane, name some other produce and it's much like
                            mine.

                            Rich

                            --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "lane lynn" <lanie@p...> wrote:
                            > How right you are Valerie. I don't think there's one thing I eat
                            that
                            > someone hasn't told me not to eat. I went raw all at once, not in
                            stages. It
                            > was the easiest way for me. I don't think I could eat much raw food
                            when I
                            > am eating cooked. But now that I am raw and sated, I have not need
                            for
                            > cooked, even though it still looks good. It's like seing a good
                            piece of
                            > chocolate cake on the dessert tray, but already having a good piece
                            of pie.
                            > I see it. I like it, but I'm satisfied with what I have. I expect
                            over time,
                            > I will refine what I eat. For now I am thrilled to be feeleing well.
                            > I tend to like the simple raw foods. So I don't have a hydrator
                            or any of
                            > the other fancy stuff. Just a blender,(God how I love those morning
                            > smoothies with almond milk!), a nice little serrated knife, and a
                            cutting
                            > board. Oh and a peeler.
                            > Last night dinner was nice big pieces of fresh organic lettuce.
                            yellow
                            > bell pepper slices. sliced carrot, sliced zucchini, and avocado
                            chunks. I
                            > loved it. It was such a treat!
                            > Happy day to all! Lane
                          • Diana of Dewberry Hill
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 5, 2005
                              Unless the anti-sprout people can give me better scientific proof than this, I will enjoy my sprouts and the little gems of nutrution they create as they begin new life. Perhaps some of you have already seen this. I've eaten sprouts before but am new to 100% raw :=)

                              http://www.sproutpeople.com/Political/vegejournal.html

                              Diana of Dewberry Hill

                            • Rawist
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 5, 2005
                                I used to close that way (a random choice of words that come to mind)
                                on another forum a lot. I haven't done it for a while. I should do
                                it more often. I guess as the spirit moves.

                                Love, light, goodness, peace, joy, happiness, sanctitude, loyalty,
                                honesty, forgiveness, beauty, truth, wonderfulness and righteousness,

                                wrote:
                                > I loved the way you closed your post, Rich! It made me happy just
                                to read it! I'll add a couple of my favorite words: Clarity and
                                lucidity.....Valerie

                                > Rawist <seconaphim@y...> wrote:
                                > Love, light, goodness, joy, comfort, peace, happiness, sanctitude,
                                > holiness, laughter, wonderfulness, and righteousness,
                                >
                                > Rich

                              • lane lynn

                                  lane lynn <lanie@...> wrote:
                                  Thanks Valerie. I'll experiment. Although I just attended a raw food eater's
                                  group last night and heard that sprouts aren't good for us. Lots of info to
                                  sort through. What to do? I guess it will all sort out in the long run.
                                  Yours in health, Lane

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                • Essentially Sasha
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 7, 2005
                                    What a great way to start the New Year!
                                    Valerie and Rich, when I read these qualities, I feel positively nurtured
                                    I feel VALued and enRICHed
                                    May I add a few more to your favorites?
                                    Hope; Faith; Trust; Strength

                                    Namaste' and Thank you.
                                    Sasha

                                    ______________________________________________________________________-
                                    wrote:
                                    > I loved the way you closed your post, Rich! It made me happy just
                                    to read it! I'll add a couple of my favorite words: Clarity and
                                    lucidity.....Valerie

                                    > Rawist <seconaphim@y...> wrote:
                                    > Love, light, goodness, joy, comfort, peace, happiness, sanctitude,
                                    > holiness, laughter, wonderfulness, and righteousness,
                                    >
                                    > Rich

                                  • Rawist
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 7, 2005
                                      Goodness, love, light, honesty, truthfulness, forgiveness, peace,
                                      joy, happiness, beuty, truth, wonderfulness, and integrity. :-)

                                      Rich

                                      --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Essentially Sasha" <sasha@9...>
                                      wrote:
                                      > What a great way to start the New Year!
                                      > Valerie and Rich, when I read these qualities, I feel positively
                                      nurtured
                                      > I feel VALued and enRICHed
                                      > May I add a few more to your favorites?
                                      > Hope; Faith; Trust; Strength
                                      >
                                      > Namaste' and Thank you.
                                      > Sasha
                                    • Valerie Mills Daly
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 7, 2005
                                        I love it! this is my kind of list!! When I am feeling 'under it,' it is looking at things like this that help keep me focused on what is important....thanks, Sasha!

                                        Valerie