Re: [Raw Food] Re: Specific Questions

  • johnd
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
      On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 11:50:23PM -0500, perryanne wrote:

      > > Kefir- I am still deciding whether to keep using the kefir I make
      > from goats milk with kefir grains. Why would God give us these
      > amazing grains to kefir milk, if not for use? And didn't the people
      > of many years BC live many long hundreds of years? They used this
      > kefir in goat milk.

      that is a reaon to eat something, because it is here? Please don't
      take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be harsh, just questioning
      your logic.

      > > Cooked grains? Cooked brown rice, wild rice, millet, buckwheat?
      > These seem healthy, why not use them?

      Same with this, they seem heatlhy. What do you base this on? I wheat
      healthy? what about bread? Doesn't this kind of get away from eating
      raw food?
    • Diana of Dewberry Hill
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
        I have made kimchi and have many other recipes for fermented foods that use whey, mineral salt, and the vegetables (or fruits). These recipes do not call for heating the raw foods at all, but keeping them at a warm room temp for 3 days, then refrigerating. This process preserves the food for many months...but it usually gets eaten first ;-)

        I may not be using this tastey food again if I keep eating only raw foods. The fermented foods help to digest cooked food and meats and are a very healthful addition to that kind of diet. I really don't think they are need with a raw-only food diet.

        Diana of Dewberry Hill

        "Bob & Breezi" bobandbreezi@... said:
        I have been told on several occasions
        that fermented foods are not raw. No matter if you are using grains, beans
        or whatever they have to be heat processed then the fermentation starts.

      • Bob & Breezi
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
          Thanks for that information Diana, it makes sense!

          I have made kimchi and have many other recipes for fermented foods that use
          whey, mineral salt, and the vegetables (or fruits). These recipes do not
          call for heating the raw foods at all, but keeping them at a warm room temp
          for 3 days, then refrigerating. This process preserves the food for many
          months...but it usually gets eaten first ;-)

          I may not be using this tastey food again if I keep eating only raw foods.
          The fermented foods help to digest cooked food and meats and are a very
          healthful addition to that kind of diet. I really don't think they are need
          with a raw-only food diet.

          Diana of Dewberry Hill

          "Bob & Breezi" bobandbreezi@... said:
          I have been told on several occasions
          that fermented foods are not raw. No matter if you are using grains, beans
          or whatever they have to be heat processed then the fermentation starts.

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/6iHolB/TM
        • Diana of Dewberry Hill
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
            At the chance of being laughed off the block, I'd like to ask if the food processors/blenders destroy any nutrients with their fast moving metal blades that get hot. I don't want to "strain at nats" (as the saying goes) or be overly cautious...but just wondering. I'm thinking that you will all tell me that the benifits outweigh any problem...same with juicer.

            Diana of Dewberry Hill

          • John de la Garza
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
              Some juicers like the Green Power juicer (I have one) rotate at 90 rpm.
              It smashes the fruits and veg between two rotating interlocking
              screws. It makes no heat and the claim is that it creates juice that
              can be stored for noticibly longer times because it is less likely to
              oxidize and they say the heat does damage it.

              On Dec 1, 2004, at 9:12 PM, Diana of Dewberry Hill wrote:

              > At the chance of being laughed off the block, I'd like to ask if the
              > food processors/blenders destroy any nutrients with their fast moving
              > metal blades that get hot. I don't want to "strain at nats" (as the
              > saying goes) or be overly cautious...but just wondering. I'm thinking
              > that you will all tell me that the benifits outweigh any
              > problem...same with juicer.
              >
              > Diana of Dewberry Hill

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              ---------------------------
              "A paranoid is just someone in possession of all the facts." - Spider
              Jerusalem
            • Diana of Dewberry Hill

                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 2, 2004
                  Hi Diana,

                  I figure in both juicing and blending, some nutrients would be lost by
                  oxidation, some by the actual motion of the blades itself, and some by
                  the friction produced by the blades ie heating on a localised scale.
                  But I don't know how much of an effect this has. I think if it was
                  anywhere near as bad as cooking, we'd find significant differences in
                  taste, smell and appearance. For example, freshly made carrot juice
                  looks and tastes different to bottled pasteurised carrot juice, as I'm
                  sure most people here have noticed.

                  On the other hand I think juicing and blending can make digestion a
                  lot easier, and consuming large quantities of fruit a lot more convenient.

                  Love and Light,

                  Graeme

                  PS actually it just occurred to me that the effect is probably worse
                  with grinding nuts and seeds, as they seem to get noticably warm, and
                  there's no liquid to help dissipate localised raised temperatures ie
                  at the surface of the blade.

                  --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Diana of Dewberry Hill
                  <cozad76078@y...> wrote:
                  > At the chance of being laughed off the block, I'd like to ask if the
                  food processors/blenders destroy any nutrients with their fast moving
                  metal blades that get hot.
                • Valerie Mills Daly
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 2, 2004
                    This is one of the things I no longer worry about; I've used my Champion for years, I use my blender and food processor with a free mind; even if there is some loss of nutrition, I know I am getting a whole lot more than I ever used to get from cooked and processed foods that I ate for the first 48 years of my life. And what is happening with my body and health has been amazing. When you think about it, foods begin to lose their nutrition once they have been harvested, and we have no idea how long it has been since something has been harvested. So there are a lot of unknowns, and things that can't be either measured or proven in the context of our lives at home. I just trust that by eating raw, my body will take these good foods I am giving it and use it as best needed. This may not seem very clear, so let me know if I need to clarify anything. While I try to remain informed about many things, and am constantly learning about things, I no longer worry about much with regard to my
                    food. I think I have the basics covered, and if anything needs to be improved along the way, I'll deal with it when the need arises. I've spent too much of my life wallowing in anxiety, wanting to be sure I had the absolutely right answer to everything, and I don't want to continue in that path any longer.

                    This is all probably more than you wanted to read....sorry...just got on a roll!

                    Peace,

                    Valerie

                    On Dec 1, 2004, at 9:12 PM, Diana of Dewberry Hill wrote:

                    > At the chance of being laughed off the block, I'd like to ask if the
                    > food processors/blenders destroy any nutrients with their fast moving
                    > metal blades that get hot. I don't want to "strain at nats" (as the
                    > saying goes) or be overly cautious...but just wondering. I'm thinking
                    > that you will all tell me that the benifits outweigh any
                    > problem...same with juicer.

                  • Diana of Dewberry Hill
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 2, 2004
                      Perryane,
                      I'm not trying to get the discussion away from raw foods at all. I'm a raw food "newbie" and need to know exactly why I should stop using my kefir (which supposedly cultures out all the sugar in the goat milk), and also cooked grains and cooked beans which someone said were "toxic", but I'm still looking for scientific studies to back this up. It's not that I disbelieve that they are toxic, it's just that I need to kow why. I do not eat bread or bake with flour. Just trying to sort it out.

                      Blessings,
                      Diana of DH

                    • Diana of Dewberry Hill
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 2, 2004
                        Thanks for your replies, folks...I guess (just as I thought you'd tell me) that I won't be concerned...but if I should ever need a new juicer I may want to consider the one John has (a Green Power juicer).

                        Happy Processing,
                        Blessings, D of DH

                      • Christy
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 2, 2004
                          Thank you to everyone who replied to this thread. :)
                        • perryanne
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 2, 2004
                            Hi Diana,
                            i think you have the wrong person.
                            i didn't comment about getting away from raw foods, argue grain, toxicity etc..
                            i just commented on alissa cohens recipes and some raw recipes and substitutions,

                            my best,

                            perryanne =)
                            p,s im a newbie too =)

                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 2, 2004
                              Just my thoughts on milk...

                              I think goat milk is a great food for baby goats. I avoid all dairy. I avoid
                              that doesn't mean I don't have it as a treat now and then. I love plain
                              yogurt mixed with some maple syrup. I just don't have any dairy in my
                              staple foods.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 2, 2004
                                On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 12:14:09PM -0800, Diana of Dewberry Hill wrote:

                                > Thanks for your replies, folks...I guess (just as I thought you'd tell me) that I won't be concerned...but if I should ever need a new juicer I may want to consider the one John has (a Green Power juicer).

                                It is a great juicer but it is really hard to use. You have to really
                                pusy hard to get carrots into it. Leavy greens, grass, parsely all go in
                                with no effort. My just sits on a shelf and hasn't been used in years.

                                If you can somehow try one before you buy it I'd do so. Maybe you can
                                visit some kind of raw food festival or get together.
                              • Valerie Mills Daly
                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 2, 2004
                                  Trying out the juicers is a great idea, John. Diane, if you know anyone who has juicers, that may be a way of finding one that works for you. I'm very happy with my Champion, and it's had a lot of use over the last 7 years. But I know some folks prefer the Green Power. I guess it depends on what kind of juicing you want to do. The Champion will do a limited amount of greens, working best if you alternate green with pieces of firmer veggies or fruit, like carrots, apples, etc.

                                  I'm sure you will find something that will work for you.

                                  Peace,
                                  Valerie

                                  johnd <john@...> wrote:

                                  On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 12:14:09PM -0800, Diana of Dewberry Hill wrote:

                                  > Thanks for your replies, folks...I guess (just as I thought you'd tell me) that I won't be concerned...but if I should ever need a new juicer I may want to consider the one John has (a Green Power juicer).

                                  It is a great juicer but it is really hard to use. You have to really
                                  pusy hard to get carrots into it. Leavy greens, grass, parsely all go in
                                  with no effort. My just sits on a shelf and hasn't been used in years.

                                  If you can somehow try one before you buy it I'd do so. Maybe you can
                                  visit some kind of raw food festival or get together.

                                • Kristi
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 3, 2004
                                    for the noodles i just spiralize them and then put either olive oil
                                    and lemon juice and seasoning or use it with a raw marinara sauce.
                                    the one in raw food primer is very good. i recommend that book
                                    highly. sorry not at home so i can't post it.

                                    chips. just thinly slice the potatoes and toss with a little oil
                                    (or not) and seasonings of your choice (good ones: cumin and/or
                                    paprika and/or chili/chipotle powder). Dehydrate to your liking.

                                    kristi

                                    --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Christy" <yogafreeze@y...> wrote:

                                    > Kristi would you mind sharing the recipes for sweet potato raw
                                    > noodles and chips? Sounds good. :)--- [In removed]
                                  • Christy
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 3, 2004
                                      Thanks Kristi for the recipes. :) -- [In removed]