[Raw Food] Re: I Have QUESTIONS,PLS READ> WHAT DO U THINK?

  • shelala_ohlala_2000
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 3, 2004
      Hello, the attachment did not come through. Sheila

      --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Valerie Mills Daly <valdaly@y...>
      wrote:

      > Good morning! I have attached a fairly lengthy document which is a
      response to the Nazariah article by Jinjee Talafaro, who has a
      website at www.thegardendiet.com. If it does not come through and you
      want to see it, let me know and I will email the article to you
      separately. Jinjee's responses are interspersed throughout the
      article, and I think she makes some pretty good arguments.

      > Peace,
      >
      > Valerie

    • michele bustos
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 3, 2004
        Dear Valerie,
        I would like to read the article. Michele at alohacookie@...
        Thank you,
        /m

        Valerie Mills Daly <valdaly@...> wrote:

        Good morning! I have attached a fairly lengthy document which is a response to the Nazariah article by Jinjee Talafaro, who has a website at www.thegardendiet.com. If it does not come through and you want to see it, let me know and I will email the article to you separately. Jinjee's responses are interspersed throughout the article, and I think she makes some pretty good arguments.

        Peace,

        Valerie

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • michele bustos
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 3, 2004
          Speaking of the Vitamix...

          so i bought all this great asparagus at the farmer's market and thought I would make a great soup with it. the recipe on living foods.com called for

          asparagus

          carrott juice

          onion

          raw tahini

          and seemed pretty simple. Well I didn't have carrot juice, but I figured that I could use a red bell pepper mixed with some coconut water.

          I had these PIMENTOS from the farmer's market. They LOOK just like red bell peppers.

          So I was everything and toss into the vitamix. $5 worth of asparagus, water from coconut, 1 washed pimento, raw tahini, 1/2 onion.

          OH MY GOD IT WAS TERRIBLE-Like grass flavored spackle. My fiance said, after tasting it..."Honey, just toss it. you've done much better..."

          So my question is....what the heck is a PIMENTO really and apparently it is NOT the same as a red bell pepper?

          also, perhaps I used too much asparagus? ??

          Any other soup recipies? I'm freezing!

          Any ideas?

          Thanks,

          /m

        • Stephanie
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 3, 2004
            Help

            I need some good instructions on how to make almond milk. Soak the almonds for a a few hours, where? In the fridge?

            What do I do next, yelp

            Steph

          • Eva Humphrey

              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 3, 2004
                first time I've laughed on this post-election day of sadness.

                On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, michele bustos wrote:

                > Speaking of the Vitamix...
                >
                > so i bought all this great asparagus at the farmer's market and thought I would make a great soup with it. the recipe on living foods.com called for
                >
                > asparagus
                >
                > carrott juice
                >
                > onion
                >
                > raw tahini
                >
                > and seemed pretty simple. Well I didn't have carrot juice, but I figured that I could use a red bell pepper mixed with some coconut water.
                >
                > I had these PIMENTOS from the farmer's market. They LOOK just like red bell peppers.
                >
                > So I was everything and toss into the vitamix. $5 worth of asparagus, water from coconut, 1 washed pimento, raw tahini, 1/2 onion.
                >
                > OH MY GOD IT WAS TERRIBLE-Like grass flavored spackle. My fiance said, after tasting it..."Honey, just toss it. you've done much better..."
                >
                > So my question is....what the heck is a PIMENTO really and apparently it is NOT the same as a red bell pepper?
                >
                > also, perhaps I used too much asparagus? ??
                >
                > Any other soup recipies? I'm freezing!
                >
                > Any ideas?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > /m

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Marjorie Roswell
                3443 Guilford Terrace
                Baltimore, MD 21218
                mroswell@...
                410-467-3727
                Newest Site: rawfoodwiki.org
              • Valerie Mills Daly
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 3, 2004
                  You can soak your almonds anywhere from 8 to 24 hours (in hot weather, I refrigerate them, if the house is cool, I leave them out). I soak 1/2 cup dry almonds at a time, and when ready to make the milk, drain the water off, rinse them, and place in a blender with 3 cups distilled water. If you want sweet milk, you can add 3 dates or a little raw honey as well ( I do dates). Blend on high for a couple of minutes, then strain. I find the nut milk mesh bags you can find online work best for this, or you can use a very fine mesh strainer to remove the solids from the milk. some folks leave the solids in the milk, but I can't handle the grit. So I either add it to my compost or make some kind of almond 'cookie' in my dehydrator. (You can collect and refrigerate the pulp for a couple of days if you want to save it to use in a specific recipe.) Hope this helps...

                  Peace,
                  Valerie

                  Stephanie <konacoral@...> wrote:

                  Help

                  I need some good instructions on how to make almond milk. Soak the almonds for a a few hours, where? In the fridge?

                  What do I do next, yelp

                  Steph

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  Get unlimited calls to

                  U.S./Canada

                • vy Dominic

                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 4, 2004
                      Well, I don' t think that some type of alimentation is ideal for everyone just because it sounds rationally. One has to listen to his or her body, too, and to observe whether the things work for him or her.

                      Raw food has to serve to be healthy and not to become more sick then before or even for die. I personally know a raw foodist that uses to give a classes of rawfoodism for many years and in her 35 years she barely can walk.

                      I think that in many cases it is not dangerous the alimentation itself but the fanatism and the pride it can create when one feels a radiant health and the problems begin to disappear.

                      One should be careful about this and learn from people that although are not raw foodists have so nice hearts. The alimentation is not the aim just the way how to become more healthy and above of all better people. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense.

                      Katarina

                    • Valerie Mills Daly
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 4, 2004
                        HI, Katarina,

                        While I agree with what you are saying, at the same time, I think this kind of article claims an authority it does not have. Most of his evidence is anecdotal at best, and he also makes the conclusion that the pure raw diet isn't really good for anyone, which is a faulty claim to make. It's good to have different voices in the discussion like his and Jinjee's, but I think the bottom line for folks is to try to give whatever they choose an honest try before they dismiss it as unworkable. Even within the raw food arena, I have friends who insist on all fruit, no veg except greens, others all veg, no fruit, even others who support the use of nuts and seeds, some who don't, etc. I guess we really do need to learn to listen to our own bodies and see what they respond to best.

                        Peace,
                        Valerie

                        gagan <gagan@...> wrote:
[...]

                      • sreekumarB
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 4, 2004
                          Rawfood is great. As I had reported earlier in the group My wife who was afflicted with a very dangerous kidney aliment that was degenerative could control her kidney degeneration because of rawfood. A three month on rawfood made her healthy. Now she is partly rawfood but steals to eat vegetarian cooked food made for other family members but is still healthy and happy. Rawfood won where allopathy failed!

                          -----

                        • gaynell andress
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 5, 2004
                            Right on!!!!!!!!!!!!