Re: [Raw Food] This is fun! And hard

  • meinelkgrove@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 3, 2004
      Thanks, Costco has everything.

      Therese

      Costco has been selling them (VitaMix) in my area lately......
      Linda :-)

      Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils
      http://www.YoungLiving.com/LGHatton

      Visit My Home Page at
      http://www.Ryze.com/go/LGHatton

    • meinelkgrove@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 3, 2004
        Gayness,

        I would like the phone number, thank you. Last night I went to the Whole
        Foods Market because they had a Raw Cooking class. It was o.k. Most;y, we
        spent 2 hours making juice. Where did you get your food processer? Do you
        have more than one blade? Wall-Mart has one for $29.00 but I think it only has
        one blade and 2 speeds. What should I look for?

        Therese

        In a message dated 11/1/2004 6:40:09 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        andressgaynell@... writes:

        Something that has really worked for me, Therese, is a VitaMix..It makes
        wonderful smoothies and juices and also grinds all seeds into flour or butters
        or whatever you want. It is quite expensive, but I couldn't live without it.
        I use it three times a day to make date smoothies with frest almond milk and
        organic carob etc..I can get you the phone number if you are interested. I
        also use my food processor quite a bit. Hang in there..It will get
        better..Gaynell

      • michele bustos
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 3, 2004
          Hi Therese,
          Well I've certianly had a lot of help :), but thanks...
          I guess it comes down to budget. Here are the appliances/tools in order of cost:
          1. strainer bag. I think it's a must have, and it's like less than $9
          2. blender. get the best you can afford. see Vitamix below.
          3. Food processor. I just bought a second cusinart for my fiance's house. We got it at costco and it was like $165. They have other blades for it that we are interested in, but the blade sets are expensive as well. (like $70 for 3 blades). I would not buy it from here, but here is there link for your reference http://www.cuisinart.com/
          4. The Vitamix. The most expensive appliance I've ever purchased. http://www.vitamix.com/?ac=105 Again, I wouldn't necessarily buy it from there. We checked the event list and got ours at the Home Show. Costco is the best bet. Matt Amsden taught me that you will need the variable speed, and IMO he is correct. Ours, with an extra container was more than $400 I think
          5. The Excalibur dehydrator. Not necessary in the beginning, but you will probably want this later.

          I was totally blown out and overwhelmed by the need to buy such expensive appliances, BUT when you compare against stove, microwave, etc. and the payback in how you FEEL, it's well worth the investment.

          Let me know what you have, or plan to get and maybe I can help you. I strive for really simple recipies, with no oil, no garlic and no fruit. I commute to work and have very little time, but can always seem to be able to make something palatable.

          More to follow..
          Michele

          meinelkgrove@... wrote:

          Michele,

          I didn't even think of those things. Which one is more versatile? I'll
          need to start with easy recipes, nothing fancy.

          Therese

          Dear Therese,
          The group is right. You have all the right foods, but now you need some
          tools. A Cusinart food processor and a vitamix will make you DANGEROUS with
          options!
          I make soup in the Vitamix. Salsas and salads in the processor. Salad
          dressing in both. Almond milk in both. They are amazing tools for this
          lifestyle in the year 2004.
          (if we didn't have to work, etc we could just chop veggies all day. not my
          luxury!! )
          HTH,
          Aloha,
          Michele

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          Get unlimited calls to

          U.S./Canada

        • gaynell andress

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 4, 2004
              Therese,
              I forgot to tell you the name of my food processor is Cuisinart..It is a Custom Prep II
              Gaynell

              andressgaynell@... writes:

              Something that has really worked for me, Therese, is a VitaMix..It makes
              wonderful smoothies and juices and also grinds all seeds into flour or butters
              or whatever you want. It is quite expensive, but I couldn't live without it.
              I use it three times a day to make date smoothies with frest almond milk and
              organic carob etc..I can get you the phone number if you are interested. I
              also use my food processor quite a bit. Hang in there..It will get
              better..Gaynell

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              Get unlimited calls to

              U.S./Canada