This is fun! And hard

  • tialia03
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 31, 2004
      My name is Therese and I've been in this group for a month or so.
      I've also been reading online food journals about raw eating. I have
      juiced on and off for years and been staying away from processed
      foods but I need to incorporate some variety.

      Some of my concoctions have fallen short. I tried to make salad
      dressing by putting an avacado, kale, lemon juice, olive oil, and
      pressed garlic into my blender. It all fell beneath the blades and
      fot stuck. It all seems so easy when I read about these things.

      Also, I bought Medjool dates because I saw where someone made a
      pudding of dates, banana and something else (Iforgot what else).
      I can't juice 'em and I can't blend 'em. I have a coffee grinder for
      herbs and seeds but I don't think I can put mushy stuff
      in it.

      I bought some raw, organic groceries at Trader Joe's. Can you give
      me some ideas as to how to prepare them? (either in this group or at
      meinelkgrove@...)

      Here's what I'm not sure what to do with:

      pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts, almonds, cashews
      wild blueberries, bananas, lemons, apples, prunes, dates
      spinach, kale, butter lettuce

      I could grind the seeds but then what do I do with them? I've just
      been adding them to salads. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

      Therese

      p.s. If anyone lives in Sacramento, I'll gladly buy you a juice in
      exchange for some tips.
    • gaynell andress
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 31, 2004
        Something that has really worked for me, Therese, is a VitaMix..It makes wonderful smoothies and juices and also grinds all seeds into flour or butters or whatever you want. It is quite expensive, but I couldn't live without it. I use it three times a day to make date smoothies with frest almond milk and organic carob etc..I can get you the phone number if you are interested. I also use my food processor quite a bit. Hang in there..It will get better..Gaynell

        tialia03 <meinelkgrove@...> wrote:

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
          food processor =o]]

          ] This is fun! And hard

          >>> I could grind the seeds but then what do I do with them? I've just
          been adding them to salads. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

          Therese

        • kimberly walker
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
            You can make a delicious pie. Make the crust from walnuts, cashews, and/or almonds blended in the food processor with raw honey (and maybe a little vanilla flavoring). Press the mixture into a pie plate. Then blend frozen berries or any type of fruit, really. Add a little raw honey to sweeten the mixture. Put this in the crust. Then freeze if it is too soft. I make this for non raw foodists and they love it. It goes against food combining guidelines, but it is raw and good tasting.

            gaynell andress <andressgaynell@...> wrote:
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            Get unlimited calls to

            U.S./Canada

          • michele bustos
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
              Dear Therese,
              The group is right. You have all the right foods, but now you need some tools. A Cusinart food processor and a vitamix will make you DANGEROUS with options!
              I make soup in the Vitamix. Salsas and salads in the processor. Salad dressing in both. Almond milk in both. They are amazing tools for this lifestyle in the year 2004.
              (if we didn't have to work, etc we could just chop veggies all day. not my luxury!! )
              HTH,
              Aloha,
              Michele

[...]

            • Linda Hatton
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
                Costco has been selling them (VitaMix) in my area lately......
                Linda :-)

                Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils
                http://www.YoungLiving.com/LGHatton

                Visit My Home Page at
                http://www.Ryze.com/go/LGHatton

                > Something that has really worked for me, Therese, is a VitaMix..It makes
                wonderful smoothies and juices and also grinds all seeds into flour or
                butters or whatever you want. It is quite expensive, but I couldn't live
                without it. I use it three times a day to make date smoothies with frest
                almond milk and organic carob etc..I can get you the phone number if you are
                interested. I also use my food processor quite a bit. Hang in there..It
                will get better..Gaynell

              • Jason
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 3, 2004
                  Therese,

                  I couldnt afford a VitaMix, so I searched around and found a
                  Cuisinart blender/food processor hybrid! Its not as powerful as
                  VitaMix I think, but its got a 500W motor. It handles pretty much
                  anything youll need it for. I think the whole thing was $80 at
                  Linens n' Things.

                  JasonL

                  --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, michele bustos <ixim_mbustos@y...>

                • meinelkgrove@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 3, 2004
                    Michele,

                    I didn't even think of those things. Which one is more versatile? I'll
                    need to start with easy recipes, nothing fancy.

                    Therese

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 3, 2004
                        Gayness,

                        I would like the phone number, thank you. Last night I went to the Whole
                        Foods Market because they had a Raw Cooking class. It was o.k. Most;y, we
                        spent 2 hours making juice. Where did you get your food processer? Do you
                        have more than one blade? Wall-Mart has one for $29.00 but I think it only has
                        one blade and 2 speeds. What should I look for?

                        Therese

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 3, 2004
                          Hi Therese,
                          Well I've certianly had a lot of help :), but thanks...
                          I guess it comes down to budget. Here are the appliances/tools in order of cost:
                          1. strainer bag. I think it's a must have, and it's like less than $9
                          2. blender. get the best you can afford. see Vitamix below.
                          3. Food processor. I just bought a second cusinart for my fiance's house. We got it at costco and it was like $165. They have other blades for it that we are interested in, but the blade sets are expensive as well. (like $70 for 3 blades). I would not buy it from here, but here is there link for your reference http://www.cuisinart.com/
                          4. The Vitamix. The most expensive appliance I've ever purchased. http://www.vitamix.com/?ac=105 Again, I wouldn't necessarily buy it from there. We checked the event list and got ours at the Home Show. Costco is the best bet. Matt Amsden taught me that you will need the variable speed, and IMO he is correct. Ours, with an extra container was more than $400 I think
                          5. The Excalibur dehydrator. Not necessary in the beginning, but you will probably want this later.

                          I was totally blown out and overwhelmed by the need to buy such expensive appliances, BUT when you compare against stove, microwave, etc. and the payback in how you FEEL, it's well worth the investment.

                          Let me know what you have, or plan to get and maybe I can help you. I strive for really simple recipies, with no oil, no garlic and no fruit. I commute to work and have very little time, but can always seem to be able to make something palatable.

                          More to follow..
                          Michele