Re: [Raw Food] Affordable raw food (was "NUT FREE CUISINE")

  • caralee2000
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2004
      If you thought California was expensive for food, esp. produce which
      is what we're all interested in, try the Santa Fe area(where I am)!
      Since my husband and I moved here 10 years ago, we found that our
      food bill tripled. A friend of ours from San Diego was visiting, and
      she could not believe how expensive the Whole Foods is here. When we
      first got here, we went to the Santa Fe farmer's market, and went
      into "sticker shock"! We used to go to the produce stands in the
      Mission in San Francisco, and sometimes go to the farmers' market in
      the Civic Center Plaza - and come away with two bags of stuff for
      $5! Right now, we are fortunate that we are able to round out store
      purchases with a couple of good friends' garden yields, and the fact
      that this is shaping up to be a good year for various fruit trees,
      like apricots, and we just scored zillions of sour cherries! Yes,
      it's true that there are a number of people jumping in on the raw
      food business bandwagon, charging exhorbitant prices for prepared
      raw delights, and selling all kinds of expensive food supplements. I
      agree with the poster who commented on the idea of moving to a raw
      diet was to simplify and get out of the materialistic mindset that
      is so entrenched in our culture, not to mention all the other
      dysfunctions, too numerous to list here! It seems that the long term
      rawfoodists have learned to keep it pretty simple in eating, with
      gourmet-raw only for a very special occasion--- In

    • kb225@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2004
        Hi Autumn,
        I live in AL also. Where do you buy your food (things you can't grow) from? I am newand still trying to figure things out.

        Kendra
        Mom to:
        Brianna 6
        Josiah 4
        Gabriel 2
        Katelyn 1/09/04

      • Autumn
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2004
          Hi Kendra,
          I am very new to this also so for now I've been eating only what we
          grow but I have had some luck at the farmer's market at Colisium. We
          also have a couple friends who have gardens and trade sometimes with
          them. We hope in a few years to be mostly self-sufficient.

          Autumn :)

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2004
            Autumn,
            It is also my goal to become self-sufficient. It is a long road with lots of lessons to be learned. I have read about some people getting candida on a raw food diet. I haven't yet figured out what is the cause of that. I hope to avoid it.

            Kendra
            Mom to:
            Brianna 6
            Josiah 4