26895Re: [Raw Food] Re: DIABETIC- Anyone have an answer for me

  • SV
    Jan 4, 2007
      Melanie - the general population will always take the easier, softer way - a pill, a potion, a shot...... You have no idea how many people exclaim to me "I'd rather die than eat the way you do." And you know what, some of them have died. My own father and mother to be precise. They thought I was a "health nut". Well, my father died of colon cancer at 66 and my mother was dead 4 years later at 72 of liver failure. A medical doctor even told her to stop eating meat and dairy, but she "couldn't". Her exact words were, "I can't stop drinking milk, I'm a Swede." What the happyheck that had to do with anything is beyond me, I didn't want to get into it with her.

      My last memory of her in our family home was her sitting on the couch with many of my vegan cook books (this was even before we went raw!) spread around her. She was just so miserable because "I can't eat this, I can't eat that, I can't go to lunch with Pat, I can't, I can't, I can't..." She was so ingrained in the negative she never saw the positive. She never saw she could have lived longer and seen her grandkids graduate. She could have seen greatgrand babies that came pretty quickly after she was gone. All her cousins, who are Swedes by the way, are still alive so I just don't think she would have gone so young had she changed a few things.

      I miss her so very much.

      Oh, don't know where that came from, but thanks for listening.

      The other thing I wanted to add was we changed our diet over night. The week after my father died I started reading "Diet for a New America" and went vegetarian immediately. Shortly thereafter we became involved with EarthSave and met John Robbins and we went vegan. Mom's illness was a long time process and we were in the process of going raw when I discovered she had been in liver failure for years (another doctor misdiagnosis).

      I will be 57 in a couple weeks and my husband is 62. We both are still healthy, active, and he still works a physical job. Neither one of us take any medications whatsoever. None. We have not had an antibiotic in our household in 22 years, our children have not been immunized, neither has the dog (I get more grief over that than the kids!).

      People still don't get it. They ask how we keep our health and when we tell them they run screaming from the room! Figuratively speaking.

      So this has turned into a lot longer post than I had anticipated when I sat down and read your message. All in all people will change when they are sick and tired of being sick and tired and for some that day never comes.

      Off to see what I've got for a green smoothie this morning.

      Peace - Shari