      From: friday_schild [mailto:fridays_child@...]
      Sent: jeudi 2 mai 2002 6:12
      To: rawfood@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Raw Food] Dr. Ornish Diet

      I am new to this group,but have been rawfooding since April 12th,and
      i also agree that Dr.Ornish is not a raw foodist.

      As to the fats in the avocados and nuts,I was hesitant at first to
      use them alot,because I had been on a weight loss program,and didn't
      want to put back the pounds.But I have lost at least 12 lbs since I
      started raw fooding,and I am eating avocados every day,I limit it to
      one,and I also use olive oil,which is also high in fat and
      calories,but I don't worry about that fat either,because I read
      recently,I believe from Dr.Weil or REal Age,that olive oil is known
      to reduce bad cholesterol.I also like nuts,especially cashews.I grind
      them in my coffee grinder,and mix them in recipes,and sprinkle it on
      salads.I don't like to eat nuts whole,because I was told that I had
      absorbtion problems in my intestines.Sometimes nuts can get caught in
      the intestinal walls and cause alot of trouble with bowels.But that
      is just me,and not telling anyone how they should eat their nuts. :-)

      --- In rawfood@y..., "realityofimagination" <roger@s...> wrote:
      > I have to agree with Regina. Dr. Ornish does not recommend a raw
      diet
      > anyway. His program is quite old.
      >
      > I bet he recommends foods like bread and chips that have just been
      > proven to have high levels of carcinogens. If he recommends cooked
      > foods I don't take his information seriously. It may be helpful to
      > people with heart disease, but couldn't compare to healthy a raw
      diet
      > is.
      >
      > Cooked fats are the problem not raw fats. We need fat in our diets.
      > Where does he suppose a raw foodist will get their fat? Avocados
      and
      > nuts are a great source for these things.
      >
      > Does Dr. Ornish distinguish between raw fats versus cooked fats?
      >
      > Just an interesting aside for you Seinfeld Fans. There is one
      episode
      > of Seifeld where Kramer becomes a raw foodist. He doesn't say
      > anything with the term raw. Instead he said he was only eating
      Fresh
      > foods. He threw out his oven I think. He was eating fruits and even
      > meats all Fresh or uncooked.
      >
      > He was always going to Jerry's apartment to get more food because
      his
      > new waitress girlfriend was constantly demanding food and I guess
      he
      > didn't have the stuff to please her.
      >
      > Roger Haeske
      > http://www.superbeing.com
      >

      > --- In rawfood@y..., Regina DeLuca <regdeluca@y...> wrote:
      > > It's a shame! These are wonderfully healing foods.
      > > As a personal trainer I'm often asked advice regarding
      > > nutrition. I always encourage people to eat from the
      > > earth, specifically promoting avocados and raw nuts.
      > > The reaction I get is typically "aren't those high in
      > > fat?" or "I read not to eat these foods because they
      > > are bad for you.", of which I reply "yes" and "don't
      > > listen to everything you read". I continue with their
      > > benefits. This Dr. is setting a bad example for others
      > > who want to learn about health. I wonder what
      > > research he has to prove this recommendation?
      > >
      > > Regina
      > >
      > > --- petergardiner@e... wrote:
      > > > Have just been reading about Dr. Ornish's diet. He claims great
      > > > success in curing heart disease.
      > > >
      > > > To cut to the chase he says that amongst other items
      > > > the following
      > > > should
      > > > be avoided.
      > > >
      > > > Avocados
      > > >
      > > > Olives
      > > >
      > > > Nuts & seeds.
      > > >

      > > > That fairly knocks a corner off David Wolfe's
      > > > triangle. It also takes a
      > > > slice out of my diet. Are there any enlightened
      > > > thoughts out there on
      > > > this subject?
      > > >
      > > > Peter Gardiner

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to