Re: November Meeting

  • Dick Kirk
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 1, 2012
      I don't imagine it is Vishniac!?

      Dick

      --- In rascstoon@yahoogroups.com, "jeff_swick" <jeff_swick@...> wrote:

      > Circle the date of our November meeting on your calendar.
      >
      > Details are just being confirmed but we should have a world famous astronomer speaking at the meeting and there is a possibility that person may also be in the company of a world renowned astro-photographer.
      >
      > Hint....one of the people who sits on his board is Eugene Roddenberry the son of the legendary Gene Roddenberry of Star Trek fame....start sleuthing....our speaker is NOT Eugene but IS from Griffith Observatory in California.
      >
      > Details to follow
      >
      > Regards
      > Jeff

    • jeff swick
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 1, 2012

        It is not.

        He served 2 terms as President of the Los Angeles Astronomical Society and served 10 years on the Board of Directors.
         He was employed at Griffith Observatory
        http://www.griffithobs.org

        He was founding President of the Mount Wilson Observatory Association and has been on the Board of Trustees ever since.
        He currently sits in the Vice-President position

        He is a writer and photographer who has been published in Scientific American, Astronomy Magazine and Sky & Telescope where he is currently a contributing editor.

        He led the effort to organize 100 Hours of Astronomy during the International Year of Astronomy in 2009 in more than 100 countries.

        He is a past winner of the Clifford W. Holmes award as well as the prestigious G. Bruce Blair Award.

        There is also one other major global organization that he is founder and president of and that is the capacity he will be speaking to us about

        The fellow he may have with him is a Photo Ambassador with the European Southern Observatory.

        http://www.eso.org/public/

        He is a past winner fo the Lennart Nilson Award
        http://www.lennartnilssonaward.se
        (Bonus hint it's NOT Carolyn Porco....but...)

        He had 14 Astronomy Pictures of the Day in 3 years.

        That should give you all enough clues to put together the puzzle

        Cheers
        Jeff

        > Circle the date of our November meeting on your calendar.
        >
        > Details are just being confirmed but we should have a world famous astronomer speaking at the meeting and there is a possibility that person may also be in the company of a world renowned astro-photographer.
        >
        > Hint....one of the people who sits on his board is Eugene Roddenberry the son of the legendary Gene Roddenberry of Star Trek fame....start sleuthing....our speaker is NOT Eugene but IS from Griffith Observatory in California.
        >
        > Details to follow
        >
        > Regards
        > Jeff

      • dickandmarion
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 1, 2012
        • 1 Attachment
        • 10 KB
        AHA,

        confirmed but we should have a world famous astronomer speaking at the meeting and there is a possibility that person may also be in the company of a world renowned astro-photographer.

        > Hint....one of the people who sits
        on his board is Eugene Roddenberry the son of the legendary Gene Roddenberry of Star Trek fame....start sleuthing....our speaker is NOT Eugene but IS from Griffith Observatory in California.

        > Details to follow
        >
        > Regards

        Jeff

      • dickandmarion
        Message 4 of 21 , Nov 1, 2012
          Impressive how did you invite him?

          Our baby sitting stint in Sylvan Lake should see us home in time for the meeting this month.

          Dick

          confirmed but we should have a world famous astronomer speaking at the meeting and there is a possibility that person may also be in the company of a world renowned astro-photographer.

          > Hint....one of the people who sits
          on his board is Eugene Roddenberry the son of the legendary Gene Roddenberry of Star Trek fame....start sleuthing....our speaker is NOT Eugene but IS from Griffith Observatory in California.

          > Details to follow
          >
          > Regards

          Jeff

        • Tim Ceaser
          Message 5 of 21 , Nov 2, 2012
            i think that i;'ll actually be able to make it to this meeting, sweet. may i ask what is the "executive" meeting as opposed to the public meeting?

            Our baby sitting stint in Sylvan Lake should see us home in time for the meeting this month.

            Dick

            confirmed but we should have a world famous astronomer speaking at the meeting and there is a possibility that person may also be in the company of a world renowned astro-photographer.

            > Hint....one of the people who sits
            on his board is Eugene Roddenberry the son of the legendary Gene Roddenberry of Star Trek fame....start sleuthing....our speaker is NOT Eugene but IS from Griffith Observatory in California.

            > Details to follow
            >
            > Regards

            Jeff

          • Jim Goodridge

              > Circle the date of our November meeting on your calendar.
              >
              > Details are just being confirmed but we should have a world famous astronomer speaking at the meeting and there is a possibility that person may also be in the company of a world renowned astro-photographer.
              >
              > Hint....one of the people who sits on his board is Eugene Roddenberry the son of the legendary Gene Roddenberry of Star Trek fame....start sleuthing....our speaker is NOT Eugene but IS from Griffith Observatory in California.
              >
              > Details to follow
              >
              > Regards
              > Jeff

            • jeff_swick
              Message 7 of 21 , Nov 2, 2012
                I wrte a message on a scroll....got an elestic band and wrapped it around an arrow fired and it though his open window as he was sitting at his terminal.
                Actually, he is a customer of mine so I just skyed him and asked.

                Did you guess the name of the other? '

                --- In rascstoon@yahoogroups.com, "dickandmarion" <dickandmarion@...> wrote:

                > Impressive how did you invite him?
                >
                > Our baby sitting stint in Sylvan Lake should see us home in time for the meeting this month.
                >
                > Dick

              • jeff_swick
                Message 8 of 21 , Nov 2, 2012
                  The Executive meeting is the "business" part of the meeting , the actual mechanical part of the club so to speak.
                  You are welcome to attend if you wish, but you can't vote.

                  --- In rascstoon@yahoogroups.com, Tim Ceaser <hailceaser2003@...> wrote:

                  > i think that i;'ll actually be able to make it to this meeting, sweet. may i ask what is the "executive" meeting as opposed to the public meeting?
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • jeff_swick
                  Message 9 of 21 , Nov 2, 2012
                    Carolyn was the most well known clue, but it is not she. Dick earlier posted a the correct jpeg in his previous mail.

                    There's no big mystery, I just couldn't say for sure until it was confirmed which it is now.

                    He is fresh back to California after presenting at the IAU in China

                    --- In rascstoon@yahoogroups.com, Jim Goodridge <djgoodridge@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Jeff, I think I have it figured out - do you want us to say? The
                    > Carolyn Porco clue was the most important if I have the right person.
                    >
                    > Best Regards
                    > Jim
                    >

                    > On 1-Nov-12, at 11:54 PM, jeff swick wrote:
                    >

                    > > It is not.
                    > >
                    > > He served 2 terms as President of the Los Angeles Astronomical
                    > > Society and served 10 years on the Board of Directors.
                    > > He was employed at Griffith Observatory
                    > > http://www.griffithobs.org
                    > >
                    > > He was founding President of the Mount Wilson Observatory
                    > > Association and has been on the Board of Trustees ever since.
                    > > He currently sits in the Vice-President position
                    > >
                    > > He is a writer and photographer who has been published in Scientific
                    > > American, Astronomy Magazine and Sky & Telescope where he is
                    > > currently a contributing editor.
                    > >
                    > > He led the effort to organize 100 Hours of Astronomy during the
                    > > International Year of Astronomy in 2009 in more than 100 countries.
                    > >
                    > > He is a past winner of the Clifford W. Holmes award as well as the
                    > > prestigious G. Bruce Blair Award.
                    > >
                    > > There is also one other major global organization that he is founder
                    > > and president of and that is the capacity he will be speaking to us
                    > > about
                    > >
                    > > The fellow he may have with him is a Photo Ambassador with the
                    > > European Southern Observatory.
                    > >
                    > > http://www.eso.org/public/
                    > >
                    > > He is a past winner fo the Lennart Nilson Award
                    > > http://www.lennartnilssonaward.se
                    > > (Bonus hint it's NOT Carolyn Porco....but...)
                    > >
                    > > He had 14 Astronomy Pictures of the Day in 3 years.
                    > >
                    > > That should give you all enough clues to put together the puzzle
                    > >
                    > > Cheers
                    > > Jeff

                  • Jim Goodridge
                    Message 10 of 21 , Nov 2, 2012
                      I was thinking of entirely the wrong person.  Mike Simmons will be awesome to meet and I look forward to hearing about the other organization.  I was wondering why the stickers were available at the last meeting, now it makes sense.

                      Best Regards
                      Jim

                    • dickandmarion
                      Message 11 of 21 , Nov 2, 2012
                        It could be anyone of a dozen people.

                        Dick

                        Message 12 of 21 , Nov 2, 2012

                          Babak A. Tafreshi? of S & T

                          If not him I give up

                          Dick

                          Message 13 of 21 , Nov 2, 2012
                            It could be Dick but it's not.
                            Here's two hints.....it's NOT Carolyn Proco
                            and the second hint:
                            http://www.twanight.org/newTWAN/index.asp

                            Message 14 of 21 , Nov 2, 2012
                              Well sleuthed Detective  Kirk

                              http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/62559797.html

                              Message 15 of 21 , Nov 2, 2012
                                YYIR, YYIB, UCIRYY4U

                                and I figured it out before you sent the carol and twan clues

                                Dick

                                Sent: Friday, November 02, 2012 11:05 AM

                                Message 16 of 21 , Nov 2, 2012
                                  So, you invited Mike and you asked him if he could get Babak to accompany him?

                                  Well done Jeff!

                                  Dick

                                  Sent: Friday, November 02, 2012 11:05 AM

                                  Message 17 of 21 , Nov 2, 2012
                                    Well actually I asked Mike to speak about Astronomers Without Borders and he said he would have a houseguest who is on the International scene considered a fairly big "get"....he's very much in demand.

                                    They will be addressing us on the Big Screen via Skype....it will be a two way feed with interaction.

                                    It might yet change to Babak doing a presentation and rebooking Mike for another meeting if it goes well.....either way, we'll get one or the other.

                                    This actually evolved from a suggestion from Graham Hartridge who suggested webcasting our meetings to our distant members.

                                    Regards