Herschel 400

  • Dick Kirk
    Message 1 of 11 , May 18, 2012
      Hello Group

      I have just downloaded a list of the Herschel 400 objects and have to admit I don't know what two of the columns represent. They are Ga Lo & Ga La.

      Some help please.

      Dick
    • Larry Scott
      Message 2 of 11 , May 18, 2012
        Hey Dick,

        Galactic longitude and galactic latitude.

        Check it out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_coordinate_system

        Larry

        --- In rascstoon@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Kirk" <dickandmarion@...> wrote:

        > Hello Group
        >
        > I have just downloaded a list of the Herschel 400 objects and have to admit I don't know what two of the columns represent. They are Ga Lo & Ga La.
        >
        > Some help please.
        >
        > Dick

      • Tenho Tuomi
        Message 3 of 11 , May 18, 2012
          I don't remember seeing those columns there before, but my guess is that
          they refer to the galactic longitude and latitude of the object. For
          example NGC 4559 and 4565 have Ga La of 86 degrees, and they are within
          degrees of the North Galactic Pole in Coma Berenices.

          Tenho

          On 18/05/2012 13:41, Dick Kirk wrote:
          > Hello Group
          >
          > I have just downloaded a list of the Herschel 400 objects and have to admit I don't know what two of the columns represent. They are Ga Lo& Ga La.
          >
          > Some help please.
          >
          > Dick

        • jeff swick
          Message 4 of 11 , May 18, 2012
            or as we say in these parts "yonder".....if you ever wondered where "yonder" was now you know.

            Galactic longitude and galactic latitude.

            Check it out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_coordinate_system

            Larry

            --- In rascstoon@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Kirk" <dickandmarion@...> wrote:

            > Hello Group
            >
            > I have just downloaded a list of the Herschel 400 objects and have to admit I don't know what two of the columns represent. They are Ga Lo & Ga La.
            >
            > Some help please.
            >
            > Dick

          • dickandmarion
            Message 5 of 11 , May 18, 2012
              Thank you Larry. I should have guessed as I have seen references to these terms before but didn’t pay much attention as they don’t seem to be used that much.

              Dick
            • Tenho Tuomi
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 12, 2013
                A couple nights ago I finished photographing all of the Herschel 400
                objects. The last one was NGC 6569,
                http://www.lex.sk.ca/astro/DeepSky/NGC6569_110.jpg

                I have no separate listing for the Herschel 400 objects but they can all
                be found at http://www.lex.sk.ca/astro/DeepSky/

                Tenho
              • kim hay
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 13, 2013
                  On 06/13/2013 12:27 AM, Tenho Tuomi wrote:

                  Congratulations Tenho, what a wonderful project to have completed.

                  Kim
                  A couple nights ago I finished photographing all of the Herschel 400
                  objects.  The last one was NGC 6569,
                  http://www.lex.sk.ca/astro/DeepSky/NGC6569_110.jpg

                  I have no separate listing for the Herschel 400 objects but they can all
                  be found at http://www.lex.sk.ca/astro/DeepSky/

                  Tenho

                  Congrtualations

                  --
                  www.starlightcascade.ca
                  Where Astronomy and Gardening come together
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 13, 2013
                    congratulations
                    cam

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 13, 2013
                      Thank you. I hope that this would be a resource for others as well.

                      Tenho

                      On 13/06/2013 20:52, c-mclelland@... wrote:

                      > congratulations
                      > cam

                    • Norma
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 14, 2013
                        On 6/13/2013 10:47 PM, Tenho Tuomi wrote:

                        Thank you. I hope that this would be a resource for others as well.

                        Tenho

                        On 13/06/2013 20:52, c-mclelland@... wrote:

                        > congratulations
                        > cam

                        congratulations Tenho - the collected photos that you have made available for Messiers, Finest NGC's and now Herschel 400 are appreciated by many - thanks for giving us this gift     Norma   hello to Velma
                      • Tenho Tuomi
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 7 9:38 AM
                          To my astro website, I added a separate index for all the Herschel 400
                          objects that I have photographed.
                          http://www.lex.sk.ca/astro/herschel/index.html
                          It also indicates which ones are found in our RASC lists.

                          Now I am working on the Herschel 400-II objects, not photographing them
                          yet, but just enjoying finding them. I found 13 more of them early this
                          morning. A couple of them were on photographs that I had of other galaxies.

                          NGC 5426 next to a Deep-Sky Gems NGC 5427
                          http://www.lex.sk.ca/astro/DeepSky/NGC5427.HTM

                          NGC 5560 next to a H400 NGC 5566
                          http://www.lex.sk.ca/astro/DeepSky/NGC5566.HTM

                          Tenho