[rascstoon] February observing

  • Tenho Tuomi
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2, 2012
      Looks like I made a new record for observing in February, 20 nights out
      of the month. Last year I observed two nights in February. It kind of
      made up for the poor weather we had last fall. Surely nice to have an
      observatory by one's doorstep to take advantage of every clear night.

      The weather records also show how clear it was in February. I set a 35
      year record for the warmest daytime temperatures in February, but not
      nighttime temperatures. Clear skies mean warm days and cold nights. I
      took a lot of pictures at -20C, once I started plugging the camera into
      AC power instead of relying on batteries. A coating of frost on
      everything was something else, that had to be thawed out in the sun the
      next day.

      Tenho
    • jeff swick
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 5, 2012
        Note to self....aspire to be just like Tenho

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 6, 2012
          At 1 AM I took a good look at Mars for the first time with my 12". I
          went to 667 power, the highest I can go, and Mars was steady. Clearness
          came and went, and during clear periods I could see Syrtis Major on the
          West side. I did not see the North polar ice cap.

          Tenho
        • Dick Kirk
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 7, 2012
            Skies were good in Saskatoon also Tenho. I got some good shots of our Moon with many craterlets to 10 km and smaller quite evident and looked at Mars at 100 power and could see some detail but need more power.