New kit

  • davewilliams.sask
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2011
      I just got a new toy dropped of by the UPS man just before the weekend, a pair of the popular Celestron 15x70 Skymaster binoculars. I figure they'll be great to have this summer if I go out to the lake and don't have room for a scope.

      I got mine online from Costco for $70, but if anyone else in interested and doesn't like buying things online, I noticed that Canadian Tire has the same ones on sale right now for $75.
      http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/BinocularsTelescopes/Binoculars/PRD~0761078P/Celestron%252B15x70%252BSkymaster%252BBinoculars.jsp?locale=en
      When I was looking locally for a pair before Christmas I couldn't find them for less than $100, so that's a pretty good deal.
    • jeff_swick
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2011
        Always fun to get new gear.
        Bring them out for Astronomy Weekend so we can have a look.

        Cheers
        Jeff

        --- In rascstoon@yahoogroups.com, "davewilliams.sask" <davewilliams@...> wrote:

        > I just got a new toy dropped of by the UPS man just before the weekend, a pair of the popular Celestron 15x70 Skymaster binoculars. I figure they'll be great to have this summer if I go out to the lake and don't have room for a scope.
        >
        > I got mine online from Costco for $70, but if anyone else in interested and doesn't like buying things online, I noticed that Canadian Tire has the same ones on sale right now for $75.
        > http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/BinocularsTelescopes/Binoculars/PRD~0761078P/Celestron%252B15x70%252BSkymaster%252BBinoculars.jsp?locale=en
        > When I was looking locally for a pair before Christmas I couldn't find them for less than $100, so that's a pretty good deal.

      • Richard Huziak
        Message 3 of 3 , May 17, 2011
          Hi everyone!

          I will need to know pretty quick if you are *intending* to come and help out at the Grasslands DSP (East Block) Star Party on May 28.  The Saskatoon and Regina Centres are hosting a presentation (by Chris Beckett) and starnight (by the rest of us).  Many of us will arrive Friday night (27th) and stay until Sunday (29th).  If you *might* come I need to know in the next two or so days, since the park will send me free camping and free guided hike vouchers for as many as we ask for.  To get the free stuff, you will have to help out at the star party.  The presentation will go no matter what - the star party is, of course, weather permitting.  IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO GRASSLANDS, you don't understand the diversity & beauty of Saskatchewan!  It is a quite amazing place!

          You can find the article for the star party on page 5 in the March issue of Sask Skies
          http://homepage.usask.ca/~ges125/rasc/newsletters.html

          The star party, camping (rustic! - no water, no power) and presentation happen at the "K" on the map, south of Wood Mountain, SK.

          We are still planning the event, but:
            - there will be some compensation for gas - don't know how much
            - free camping  (gravel pads)
            - free guided tour 1:30pm Sat and 1:30- pm Sun to the dinosaur digs
            - Regina is bringing 6 - 8 people
            - 2 or 3 peeps are coming from Calgary RASC!
            - the sky is BORTLE 1 - the darkest you will ever see.

          Alternate camping or hotels:
            - better camp ground at Wood Mountain, Rock Glen, Assiniboia
            - motels at Rock Glen & Assiniboia, maybe elsewhere

          Bring:  LOTS of water, warm clothing for nights, telescope, good hiking shoes, hat for sun, camera, red flashlight, camping stuff.

          EMAIL ME AT <rickhuziak@...> this week, please - the sooner the better.

          IF YOU CANNOT MAKE THIS EVENT, REMEMBER THAT WE HAVE A SECOND GRASSLANDS DSP (West Block) STAR PARTY ON JULY 30, just south of Val Marie, SK.  Let me know later if you are planning to attend this one.  Better camping, more civilized, still great hiking, still need good hiking shoes.  Same basic rules will apply for free stuff.

          Thanks,
          rick

          Rick Huziak
          Saskatoon, SK