Aurora display tonight

  • Lorin B
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
      Hello all,

      I don't know who saw the news, but there is supposed to be an auroral display on tonight that will be spectacular and we are near the middle of the forecasted auroral oval.

      I'm going to take my new telescope and hit Sleaford, or go North, I haven't decided. So, anyone who wants Aurora pics, tonight might be the night.

      Lorin
    • Tenho Tuomi
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
        According to my magnetometer
        http://step-p.dyndns.org/~khay/htmp/r-lcl.html the aurora peaked at 0
        hours UT, but there might be more.

        Tenho

        On 03/08/2010 20:43, Lorin B wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I don't know who saw the news, but there is supposed to be an auroral display on tonight that will be spectacular and we are near the middle of the forecasted auroral oval.
        >
        > I'm going to take my new telescope and hit Sleaford, or go North, I haven't decided. So, anyone who wants Aurora pics, tonight might be the night.
        >
        > Lorin

      • Richard Huziak
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010

          Hi Everyone,

          As you may know, Darrell Chatfield and I have begun renovations on the Sleaford Warm-up Shelter.  The shelter is still usable, but stuff is piled up all over to make room for what we are doing.  We have now broken into the cold storage room and removed the wall between, built a supporting beam header and started to 'thicken the walls' for better insulation.  We've also removed the floor and insulated it, but we need to put a new layer of plywood over that.  For safety sake, keep out of the cold storage are, but feel free to use the regular warm-up shelter area. There are a few exposed electrical wire coming from the floor out a pipe we haven't decided how to handle yet.  They are dead, but do not start pissing around with the breakers in the box marked "don't piss around with these breakers" because those breakers control the exposed wires. Because of wiring changes, the south exterior light and the outside telephone bell are currently disconnected, and will be reconnected when we rewire.

          We will continue rennovating after SSSP concludes (you should all be there anyway!!).  Once we can get back to Sleaford, we need to finish the floor, finish getting our 2x2s on the old studs, wire, insulate, vapour barrier, mount lights & plugs, fit panelling, carpet panelling, paint the floor, remount the bookshelf and hand dryer and another baseboard heater.  This will take about 5 more visits to the site, so please be patient.  At that time, though, we will be looking for 2 or 3 recruits to rebuild the deck steps, scrape and paint the old exterior trim, and stain the deck on the warm-up shelter and Patterson dome, and repaint the safety bee-striping.

          If anyone wants to take on the job of repairing or replacing the door on the Patterson dome, and, as a matter of fact, mounting the Hartridge dome onto the Patterson building, please give me a call.  Neither are trivial tasks.

          I have the hand paddle for the 16" Meade for a few weeks until I get time to put the new keypad on it.  So the 16" is out of service until about a week after the SSSP.

          The grass at Sleaford could use a cutting next time anyone is out. It is not too long for a push mower, but might be if it is left for a few weeks.  Right now, the grass beyond the main observing site and parking are is quite high - about 3-ft high.  We are looking at having the RM mow it, but they are kind of too busy to get to it, and we are also looking at having a local farmer bale it if he wants.  In the meantime, be aware that if the grass dries out, it may become a fire hazard, so don't drive your car or truck through it.  This is not an issue right now, since everything is lush and green, but it may become an issue if we have a spell of hot, dry weather.

          BTW - someone left the east-facing crash door on the school wide open about a month ago.  If you open a door - make sure it is closed and latched!  As a matter of practice, it is best to check ALL doors even if you didn't open them, to assure no one else left anything open :-)  Luckily, nothing went missing.

          rick

          ____________
          Rick Huziak
          Saskatoon, SK

        • jeff swick
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 4, 2010

            A NEW 'scope.......what did you get Lorin?

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 5, 2010
              I have a Sky-Watcher 5-in. Its tiny, and needs some upgrades when I find the time. Its not much but the price was right: free!

              Loirn

              --- In rascstoon@yahoogroups.com, jeff swick <jeff_swick@...> wrote:

              > A NEW 'scope.......what did you get Lorin?
              >

              > ________________________________

            • jeff swick
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 5, 2010
                Well it's better than the scope you had before isn't it? You can do some pretty good work with a 5 inch.
                Bring it with you to SSSP so we can have a look at it.

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 5, 2010
                  Thanks Rick for the update and thanks also to you and Darrell for your hard work.

                  Jeff
                  --- In rascstoon@yahoogroups.com, Richard Huziak <rickhuziak@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  >
                  > BTW - someone left the east-facing crash door on the school wide open about a month ago. If you open a door - make sure it is closed and latched! As a matter of practice, it is best to check ALL doors even if you didn't open them, to assure no one else left anything open :-) Luckily, nothing went missing.

                • Tenho Tuomi
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 5, 2010
                    Saskatoon had aurora on August 3. Picture from Bob Johnson on
                    spacewather.com on the August 2010 Northern Lights Gallery.

                    Tenho
                  • Colin C.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 5, 2010
                      Two of my pictures made it to Spaceweather too. Bob and I went out imaging the Auroras on Aug. 3. My pictures are on page 3 with a link to them at the bottom of that page. Here's a link to page three of the Aurora gallery. Bob's photo is one page 1.

                      http://spaceweather.com/aurora/gallery_01aug10_page3.htm?PHPSESSID=jhnnl9pulg1iovmsjb7jepu0q5

                      Colin

                      From: Tenho Tuomi <ttuomi@...>
                      Sender: rascstoon@yahoogroups.com