Re: [rascstoon] Comet C/2009 R1

  • Tenho Tuomi
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6 1:53 PM
      Last night I took a 2 minute picture with my Canon Rebel through a 80mm
      refractor of comet C/2009 R1 McNaught
      http://www.lex.sk.ca/astro/350d/C2009R1_30.jpg

      I had to wait until it got high enough to clear the trees to the NE. It
      is in the Andromeda constellation but is moving fast and will soon be in
      Perseus. It is bright enough to be seen with binoculars.

      Tenho
    • Colin C.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6 4:24 PM
        Very nice as always Tenho.

        Colin

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6 6:25 PM
          Darrel Chatfield and I were out at Sleaford today (Sunday) and we have determined that we can indeed expand the shelter into the cold storage.  So... we have begun moving stuff around, and the warm-up shelter will be a bit of a mess for a while.  We have taken down the bookshelf and the writing table by the door (we are removing that wall) and we have moved the lockers around.  So - users - you will have more limited space for writing things for the next few weeks.  We also cleared out the cold storage and moved mostly everything to the school.

          We will also be planing a work bee out there within the next few weeks.  Here are few things that need to be done:
             - rebuild the bottom step on the deck (will involve a bit of dirt leveling)
             - stain the deck
             - scrape and oil paint the door trim on the warm-up shelter and Patterson Observatory

          Darrel and I intend to do most of the inside renovation - there is not much room for more than two people, but there are times when an alternate crew could be useful, if we have electrical types.  Darrel and I can do the wiring, but if there is someone else comfortable, we could use the held, then we could wire when Darrel *or* I are available, instead of Darrel *and* I having to be there.

          We also need someone with a truck or trailer that could haul out a load of 2x2's, 5 or 6 sheets of plywood and about 4 big bats of insulation - we hope to get those supplies to Sleaford early *this* week.  Email me at rickhuziak@...if you can either a) do electrical wiring and/or b) have a truck or trailer.

          The work bee will need about 3 or 4 people in addition to Darrel and/or I. We hope the club will help out when we make the call.

          After the renovation is mostly complete, another small work bee will be need to complete inside painting - floor and trim.

          Bear with us during the renovation, please - it will be a bit messy, and writing room will be restricted.  The grass is also getting a bit long - so the next guy out there who aren't Larry and Norma - think about getting out early and cutting it .... your key opens the school where the mowers are kept :-)

          rick

          ____________
          Rick Huziak
          Saskatoon, SK

        • Tenho Tuomi
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 9 2:01 AM
            Another picture of comet C/2009R1 McNaught, showing its two tails, this
            time through the 12" Newtonian.
            http://www.lex.sk.ca/astro/350d/C2009R1_55.jpg

            Even though it is getting brighter, it is still hard to see in the
            northern summer twilight.

            Tenho
          • Cam McLelland
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 9 7:04 AM
              Another great picture Tenho!

              You should gather up a group (a large group) of pictures and have one of those showings that artists do.

              I'm sure that there would be a knowledgeable few that would help you select (or help you whittle down to a hundred of so  LOL).  Count me in on that--I know what I like, not necessarily that I'm knowledgeable.

              You have a variety of pictures covering many topics.  The public would enjoy seeing them sometime.

              Just a thought from someone who admires your work.

              Cam McLelland