The sun today

  • jeff_swick
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 2, 2010
      so....instead of cleaning up the yard today, why not take a couple of moments to slap on your solar filter and e a look at the sun?
      Two nice spots today

      http://solarmonitor.org/index.php

      I viewed them yesterday and will be checking the changes this afternoon

      If you're thinking of getting more involved in solar astronomy I highly recomend this book
      http://www.willbell.com/HANDBOOK/hand6.htm

    • Tenho Tuomi
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 2, 2010
        But I just got interested in the moon. One thing at a time. tt

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 5, 2010
          I photographed some interesting aurora last night at midnight,
          http://www.lex.sk.ca/astro/IMG_1758.jpg

          By the looks of my magnetometer,
          http://step-p.dyndns.org/~khay/htmp/r-lcl.html I missed the real aurora
          by three hours.

          Tenho
        • jeff swick
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 5, 2010
            Great photo Tenho.
            Here's the L.M. latest events:

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 5, 2010
              Great photo
              Here's the NOAA summary of the events leading up to your occurance

              I notice you can estimate altitude in your photo by matching the colors to chemical reactions in th3.

              There was a nice display here about an hour ago. Long bright dancing curtains extending from the north well in to Gemini.

              Here's the report for tonight'sevent

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 6, 2010
                It's interesting to see how Tenho's magnetometer (Lucky Lake Station)
                corresponds with some of the other magnetometers in regards to last few days aural displays.

                Lucky Lake Station
                http://step-p.dyndns.org/~khay/htmp/r-lcl.html

                Goes magnetometer

                http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/rt_plots/mag_3d.html

                Boulder magnetometer is currently updating

                I noticed both Bob and Colin photographed last nights display.

              • Colin C.
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 6, 2010
                  It was my first time imaging auroras, and couldn't pass it up. I think the shots turned out fairly well.

                  Colin

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 8, 2010
                    Looks like it may interesting times for those heading north for the weekend
                    Take a shovel, heavy sleeping bag, hot water bottle, camp stove and food  and your other usual winter survival gear.
                    The good news is that the sky is usually very clear after a blizzard or massive snow dump, so good viewing.
                    The real good news  is  that you may be on the edge, instead of the 8 inches of  wet stuff, you may only get  5 or 6.   What does come will be great for making super big snowmen, and you may get the scopes out earlier.
                    If you dont get a chance to view, then Tenho can tell you ghost stories and about the chap that built the boat.
                    I am a wuss.  I am staying in the city.  But, I really do admire you hardy types  that  brave dark nights in the woods during storms  to get the perfect view and do astronomical friendship type bonding.
                    Have fun
                    Cam
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 2, 2013
                      Anybody see the unexpected aurora last night?

                      I got up at 3 to photograph some morning comets but the aurora was so
                      bright that I could not even find the comets.

                      http://www.lex.sk.ca/astro/350d/Aurora131102.jpg

                      Tenho
                    • Colin C.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 2, 2013
                        I got about 120 photos of the Aurora. I'll email a link soon, but they are on my Facebook page too at Chatfield Photographics.

                        Colin Chatfield

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        On Oct 2, 2013, at 18:23, Tenho Tuomi <ttuomi@...> wrote:

                        Anybody see the unexpected aurora last night?

                        I got up at 3 to photograph some morning comets but the aurora was so
                        bright that I could not even find the comets.

                        http://www.lex.sk.ca/astro/350d/Aurora131102.jpg

                        Tenho

                      • kim hay
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 3, 2013
                          On 10/02/2013 8:23 PM, Tenho Tuomi wrote:

                          Nice image Tenho. I did get up at 1:00 am EDT in Ontario and managed to get aurora shots until around 1:30 am.  We did have cloud in the area, but
                          there was some spiking and some pulsating.

                          Kim from Ontario.

                          --
                          www.starlightcascade.ca
                          Where Astronomy and Gardening come together
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 30, 2014
                            Nice aurora last night. Here are links to a couple pictures that Garry
                            took last night at 11:16 PM and 1:39 AM.

                            http://rockpoint.dyndns.org/astro/stone/Aurora%20Apr%2029%20and%2030%20%202014%20028.jpg
                            http://rockpoint.dyndns.org/astro/stone/Aurora%20Apr%2029%20and%2030%20%202014%20058.jpg

                            Tenho