[rascstoon] 2009 in review

  • Tenho Tuomi
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2010
      Happy New Year.

      Looking back on 2009 at my observatory, I was the least active since I
      started keeping an observing log in 2002. In 2009 I observed on 99
      days, about half as many days as two years ago. Was it the weather, or
      am I starting to get old?

      Last January I upgraded my telescope from an 8" to a 12" Newtonian,
      mounted on my Byers 812 mount, and still fitting in my little
      observatory. I continued with photography, taking 132 astro pictures
      with my Canon Rebel XT digital camera.

      Since it was International Year of Astronomy I took part in Public Star
      nights at the Lucky Lake and Dinsmore Libraries, and joined Mike Clancy
      at Douglas Park and Hitchcock's Hideaway.

      I observed and photographed nine comets in 2009, more than in any other
      year. Comet Lulin in February was the brightest.

      In March I made a new record of 97 in the Messier Marathon from home.
      In April I observed an occultation of Venus by the Moon during daylight.

      The highlight of each month was the RASC meeting in Saskatoon, though I
      could not get to all of the meetings. The highlight of the year was the
      SSSP in August, wet but still had a very good time.

      Anybody else want to look back at 2009?

      Tenho
      http://www.lex.sk.ca/astro/
    • jeff_swick
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 8, 2010
        As I don't have access to my log just now I'll go with memory.

        My WTF moment occurred at Sleaford when Rick Huziak called me over for a look over his scope without telling me what I was going to see.

        His scope was pointed low over the trees looking south.
        I ambled up and looked through his scope and saw a blinking unmoving point of light. I looked over the scope thinking it was one tall light tower ....nope....not that. A plane moving straight at us (grasping at straws)....nope not a plane. WTF I said to Rick. He chuckled and said it was part of a booster in geo-sync orbit rotating and reflecting the sunlight ......pretty cool.

        For new projects I've restarted my lunar program and also a double star program, things I can do here in the city and both very rewarding.
        As it gets a little warmer I'm looking forward to starting a modest variable star star project.

        Deep sky wise I had to personal highlights. Both happened at Sleaford on the same night. The first was finding McNeil's Nebula and the second was a real good look at the Merope Nebula in the Pleiades.
        That observing report can be found here:

        It's been a fun year for me observing wise. Not a lot of time but what I did had was quality time. Upgraded the focuser on my scope with Ricks assistance.
        Other highlights have been the IYA events and the fellowship both under the stars and at the events.

        I remember at Beaver Creek I took a photo that didn't turn out real well but contained my moment of the year. A young girl of 9 or 10 years looking up at the moon with such a look of wonder in her eyes.
        I really wish the photo had turned out better but it did show me how universal (pun intended) the splendor of the sky really is.

        It's been a slow year for solar observing with the scope but certainly not on the computer, learning about the dynamics of our local star.

        I've also got caught up in cosmology both the very small and the very large. I've actually got a pretty good grasp of string theory, super symmetry and all the weird and wonderful things that go along with it.

        That's my story and I'm sticking to it. happy New year every one.

        Cheers

        --- In rascstoon@yahoogroups.com, Tenho Tuomi <ttuomi@...> wrote:

        > Happy New Year.
        >
        > Looking back on 2009 at my observatory, I was the least active since I
        > started keeping an observing log in 2002. In 2009 I observed on 99
        > days, about half as many days as two years ago. Was it the weather, or
        > am I starting to get old?
        >
        > Last January I upgraded my telescope from an 8" to a 12" Newtonian,
        > mounted on my Byers 812 mount, and still fitting in my little
        > observatory. I continued with photography, taking 132 astro pictures
        > with my Canon Rebel XT digital camera.
        >
        > Since it was International Year of Astronomy I took part in Public Star
        > nights at the Lucky Lake and Dinsmore Libraries, and joined Mike Clancy
        > at Douglas Park and Hitchcock's Hideaway.
        >
        > I observed and photographed nine comets in 2009, more than in any other
        > year. Comet Lulin in February was the brightest.
        >
        > In March I made a new record of 97 in the Messier Marathon from home.
        > In April I observed an occultation of Venus by the Moon during daylight.
        >
        > The highlight of each month was the RASC meeting in Saskatoon, though I
        > could not get to all of the meetings. The highlight of the year was the
        > SSSP in August, wet but still had a very good time.
        >
        > Anybody else want to look back at 2009?
        >
        > Tenho
        > http://www.lex.sk.ca/astro/

      • Tenho Tuomi
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 19, 2010
          To those who asked what websites I use for finding comets, I use
          Seiichi Yashida's Home Page http://aerith.net/
          and Comet Chasing http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/
          I think Larry first suggested these pages.
          Sometimes I check Heavens-Above http://www.heavens-above.com/
          and the official site Observable Comets
          http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/iau/Ephemerides/Comets/

          Tenho
        • Tenho Tuomi
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 13, 2010
            This morning I got up at 5:30 to take another picture of comet 81P/Wild
            in Virgo. The sky was a little foggy.
            http://www.lex.sk.ca/astro/350d/81P_55b.jpg

            81P rises at midnight and is straight south at 5 am. It will reach
            perihelion on February 22 at 1.6 au, and be closest to earth on April
            4. Currently it is the brightest comet in the sky at about magnitude
            9.5 and might be another 0.3 magnitudes brighter toward the end of March.

            Tenho
          • deansproull@shaw.ca
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 13, 2010
              Awesome! The early bird gets the worm! Excellent as always Tenho, Keep up the good work!
              Dean Lloyd

              Email on the go, sent by TELUS